close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A Sad Day - Silent Service End of Watch

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 50 Cent, Sep 23, 2012.

1. 50 Cent

50 Cent

2. Ruggles

Ruggles

3. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

I remember watching a show about an ill fated "low altitude" bomb run one of the industrial cities in Germany towards the end of world war II.

One of the b17 captains was talking about how when the mission was planned, the thought was that if they went in low they could avoid anti-aircraft fire, but that was a mistake, and a lot of the planes were shot to hell on the way in.

He said he watched as his best friend, who was the captain of another plane, struggled to keep his plane aloft after running the AA gauntlet, and continued to the bomb run, knowing that he had no chance. He dropped his payload, and as soon as he tried to climb out, the plane just came apart underneath them, and the whole crew parished.

That is some real cowboy **** right there...

4. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Pretty sad. I read that 1200 WWII Vets die every day.

5. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

Those submariners did more than most will ever realize to make today's navy, and the country, what it is. Their service should always be honored

6. Ruggles

Ruggles

No doubt, and actions like that occurred daily I would suspect during the war. Amazing generation of young men.

7. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member Silver Member

:crying: I'm sorry to hear this. My 92 year old Dad is one of the founding members of this organization. He's currently staying with us for a while. He attended every convention every year until he finally could not travel easily, about 5 years ago. He cried when I told him just now.

I was lucky and got a 2 year college scholarship from the Sub Vets, as did my sister. Met a lot of dad's shipmates over the years and they all were humble about what they did. Most of them said they were "just doing their duty".

Dad did 6 war patrols, was depth charged many times, and had his hearing permanently damaged, but considers himself lucky. He was on the Proteus and was present at Tokyo Bay for the signing of the surrender documents. He also was part of the prize crew on the I-401, helping with the inspection and then the transport and further testing at Pearl. :wow:

8. 427

It's sad that WW2 generation is leaving us.

9. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Another sad milestone in the inevitable passing of "The Greatest Generation".

:crying: