close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A request for the moderators please

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by powernoodle, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave514

Dave514

Iamaarmed said:
    The only things I comment on are what I believe to be blasphemous and or downright misconceptions that some believe to be facts. Otherwise I leave it slide.

Iamaarmed said:
    Atheism should have no authority as it is nothing. Atheism is nothing more than disbelief in a belief. So without Religion, atheism would not even exist. It is entirely dependent on religion. In of itself it is nothing. As a result nothing (atheism) should be ignored

Iamaarmed said:
    Also I am not interested in your believing in my religion. Again you are way off base. Talk about a swing and a miss. I am not like you and am not trying to gather converts to my beliefs. You just don't get it. I don't care what you believe.

2. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

As you can see, the atheists can't even stay out this thread without getting into a debate about the existence of God.

ModGlock17 likes this.

3. Austin

Austin Staff Member Admin Moderator

I did read your post. I've read every post in connection to this issue. I see it as a problem and it's my role to come up with a solution.

I'm debating a few things, and I'm discussing it with Chris and the mods. We will figure out something in the next couple of days.

I have no problem with healthy debate, but I also believe people should have a place to not debate, but share their thoughts. That being said all technical threads in my opinion are up for debate in order to advance the knowledge of that particular topic. Debate often encourages growth of the subject and I don't see religion as any different so this will require a unique solution.

JMag and rock_castle like this.
  4. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

How about this: both "you're going to burn in hell" and "your God is imaginary" posts get defined as trolling and get dealt with as such.

Ramjet38 and Austin like this.
  6. KCHonie

KCHonie

Because neither of those are trolling...

7. Sam Spade

troll2
    trōl/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: trolling
    1. 1.
      informal
      make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

It's the very definition of trolling.

8. Dave514

Dave514

Then so is "Your belief that Glocks are the bet handgun are imaginary".

Everything that is offensive isn't trolling. Sometimes it's just the truth as the poster sees it.

9. KCHonie

KCHonie

It is the very essence of debate, the next step after that statement is providing evidence of your position.

If you truly believe that those statements are trolling then you will effectively shut down free discussion in GT...

Taking your example on step further you might consider then "The .40 is dead" as trolling.

I was accused of trolling and berated by GTers because I posted pics of the Cominolli safeties that I installed on my Glocks... Here is and example of trolling from that thread

The following is an actual example of mild trolling which stemmed from a scientific discussion of genesis...

Just be d&#n certain that censorship is the road that you want to go down.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

From a moderator consistency standpoint, why treat it any differently than the gun forums.

Haven't tried this, but I'm guessing up on the General Firearms Forum if I said "I think the quality of Smith and Wesson revolvers have really gone down in the last couple years and their customer service sucks." That would be OK. I could say "S&W revolvers are just toys" and that would OK. If I said "Everyone that owns a Smith and Wesson revolver is a moron." I suspect I'd get sanctioned.

Why not the same principles for GTRI. Free exchange on the content, but no degradation of the person. It seems to work on the rest of the board. It would be OK to disagree with atheism, but not say "atheists are evil." It's OK to doubt the validity of Christianity, but not say "only bozos are Christian." Like i said, that seems to work for the rest of the board, why not here?

Austin likes this.
  11. Sarge1400

Sarge1400

I think the key differentiation is intent. Notice the words 'with the aim of'. You might say to someone "Hillary is a liar and a crook". And while that may upset someone or elicit an angry response, you could very well have been simply stating your opinion. The responsibility for getting upset or responding angrily lies with the message's receiver, not its sender. Stick and stones and all that.

12. rock_castle

rock_castle America comes first, FINALLY!

Hey! You can disparage my god, but don't you DARE disparage my Glock.

KCHonie and Dave514 like this.
  13. Austin

Austin Staff Member Admin Moderator

That's what I'm thinking. I think the mods and I are just going to have to do the grunt work. That's what we're here for though so no worries.

14. Sam Spade

Truth is a defense to slander, but not to trolling. Being deliberately offensive is the criterion. We've seen several examples of how to take highly controversial positions and do it in a civil manner. I submit that telling people to burn in hell crosses that line. I submit that telling a poster that his God in a psychopath crosses that line.

15. KCHonie

KCHonie

I don't see either of those being trolling... Many christians truly believe that atheist are going to burn in hell and many atheists truly believe that the god of the old testament is a psychopath. From those two position come very interesting discussions. But crossing the line??? Not in my mind.

The line is crossed when the discussion turns to a personal attack, I posted two examples above...

16. Dave514

Dave514

Our two combatants tonight in the center ring.. "you're going to hell" vs. "your god is imaginary".
    The rules...TRUTH
    The loser gets....charged with trolling.

YG2H comes out quickly with a Bible verse!
    Ohhh...YGII asks for Evidence!
    YG2H slams down the trump card.. IT'S FAITH!
    OOOHH...IT'S ALL OVER!!!

That's it folks! The quickest knockout in GT history. "Your god is imaginary" goes down despite trying to get to Truth using Evidence. He was just no match for Faith when the referee holds Faith above Evidence. Drive safe, tip your waiters.

17. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Do you plan to carry that policy over to descriptions of Allah and Mohammed?

18. Sam Spade

It's not a policy yet. It may never become a policy. I offered it to the discussion.

And, yes. If those were the rules, I would enforce them as impartially as I could. BTDT.

19. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

Religious debates will always be heated. The topic itself is personal. For the atheist, there is no proof. For the religious, no proof is necessary. If there was proof, there would be no debate. For the heathen, me, I see the humor is seeing folks get all butt hurt over ancient mythology. The easiest way to moderate would be to let the fur fly until someone hemorrhages. Then simply delete the thread if it has truly turned to insults and personal attacks instead of staying on topic. Folks will hemorrhage over that too but, after a while maybe a little common courtesy "might" creep in and posters "might" moderate themselves so interesting threads don't get deleted. Of course someone will inevitably get butt hurt and try to intentionally get the thread deleted. He should receive a warning and some skin cream. JMHO.

KCHonie likes this.
  20. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

Seems like you got it all correct for a change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.