close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A question about revolvers

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by circa02, Nov 3, 2011.

1. circa02

circa02

Jun 3, 2004
    Does anyone here know of any LEO who uses a revolver as a primary sidearm? I know that there's a rule in New York that officers who joined prior to 1993 have permission to carry them as primaries, so I assume there are some who are out there.

2. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

I believe Philadelphia has a similar rule. And I though it was 1997, not 1993. Dunno.

3. texmex

texmex

Nov 29, 2004
    Central Texas
    I do. Smith & Wesson 627 Pro (8 shot 357 Magnum). When I'm on administrative duty, I sometimes carry a Smith & Wesson Model 60 3 inch ( 5 shot 357 Magnum) with a Ruger LCR (5 shot 357 Magnum) as a backup. I work in uniform. I do civil enforcment and environmental enforcement plus whatever else I can get into. My last OIS was in February but I was shooting an Ar-15.

For me, the revolver is faster to get into action for the first shot. It is very reliable. It shoots where I am looking. I have never fired more than 8 rounds in an engagement, even when I had more rounds available as with the carbine. I do have a Beta mag for the AR. It's better to have the rounds and not need them than to need the rounds and not have them.

A revolver is not for everbody but it works for me. I have tried Glocks and Sigs and 1911s. Always wind up back to the revolver.

4. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

Jan 28, 2004
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Damn, :wow::wow:

5. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Dog Lover

Jun 9, 2006
    North Alabama
    Thata's what I was thinking as I read that!

I like to occasionally switch up duty sidearms. 1911, GLOCK34, GLOCK22

I would absolutely add a .357 Magnum revolver to the stable if I could find a good secure holster and still have some draw speed. My dept SOP does allow for .357 Magnum carry although I don't think anyone has for some time.

Texmex, what are you wearing for a holster? And I know what you mean about shootability with a wheelgun. I just seem to take to it really well.

6. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I haven't seen one in a long time except for a few near retirement investigators/admin carrying a snubby.

I personally would feel fine with a revolver on duty. I am a revolver guy, and shoot a revolver significantly better than a semi-auto (though not a bad shot with either). I would carry a 686+ and three speed loaders in a heartbeat if given the chance.

Some agree with me, and some think I am insane, but I would not feel outgunned with this setup.

7. texmex

texmex

Nov 29, 2004
    Central Texas
    I am using a Don Hume nylon 738 thumb break holster that I bought new about ten years ago. It has held up very well. I have quite a few N frame holsters that I have acquired over the years. Most of them are leather since they pre-date the nylon era. I have a clarino Safariland 070 holster that I have never used. It is an extremely tight fit and would need some breaking in to actually use it. I dig through used holster bins at gun shows and gun shops and occasionally find an N frame holster. Most of them are level one. Most of them I paid $10-$15 for. I did purchase a Sidearmour Kydex holster a couple of years ago. Duty gear for revolvers is becoming less common. I use the shortest mace cases for speed loader cases. Each one holds two speed loaders stacked one on top of the other.

8. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    In uniform I haven't seen a cop packing a revolver in person since 1997 when I was at UC Berkeley and saw one of their cops with some sort of K frame in a holster.

Our admin and dicks will carry J frames around the office maybe out and about when they aren't planning on doing anything. Yeah, I know.

9. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Texmex, I'd love to ride with you one day.

That is all.

10. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    You okay with riding in the back?

Because his brass balls are riding shotgun.

11. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    I'm gonna have to be, I reckon. :supergrin:

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    There are people here in uniform who still carry a revolver. When we transitioned to pistols we bought our own. It was not mandatory to transition. Now new hires are issued a G17 although I am not anticipating any new hiring for a while.

13. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Last uniformed officer I saw carrying a wheelgun has from Detroit, maybe 5 years ago, and had obviously been grandfathered in on it. It's funny, cuz he started by giving me grief about my Glock, saying, "Is that one of them sissy plastic pistols?" To which I replied "I dunno, is that one of them ones that loads from the front?" :supergrin:

Buddies ever since! :rofl:

14. Denied

Denied NRA Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Ohio
    Don't know anyone in my neck of the woods (SW Ohio) who still carries a wheel gun, I did LEOSA qualifications a few weeks ago and of the 15 or so retired folks there was only one using a revolver.

15. fla2760

fla2760

Aug 12, 2006
    FL
    I make sure that I shoot the LEOSA qualification course every year with my Smith 642 and my G27. If I had to pick one to qualify with it would be a revolver. In that case the 642 would be a reload for my SP 101 3".

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  16. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Well, we've heard your side of the story, I'd like to hear what your various fiance's have to say... :tongueout::rofl:

Randy

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  17. bnkrtstk

bnkrtstk

Aug 6, 2008
    I have seen a few Philly PD officers carrying them. In fact there was a good amount of white shirts at the Hero Thrill Show packing a wheelgun.

18. texmex

texmex

Nov 29, 2004
    Central Texas
    Now that's funny.

I appreciate all the kind comments. A few years ago, I attended a tactical pistol course at a neighboring police department. It is an excellent week long course and includes everything from shooting seated in a patrol car to shooting at night and out to 70 yards. On the first day, the instructors were sceptical that the course could be completed successfully with a revolver. On the last day, they were trying to remember why they switched to semi-autos.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  19. circa02

circa02

Jun 3, 2004

Old school rules, huh? :)

20. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    I do enjoy coming across the occasional revolver thread.

To answer the question, though, I saw a college police chief and ranking officer (Lt?) wearing blued S&W revolvers several years ago when attending an art fair.

I still miss the days when we carried revolvers. Yes, they were heavier, only had 6 rounds and were marginally slower to reload.

It's just that I miss when cops were trained to develop their foundation skillset using DA revolvers.

I'd also have felt comfortable returning to carrying a .357 Magnum revolver on-duty, although given the opportunity I'd have switched to the 686 Plus or one of the newer N-frame 8-shot revolvers. That way I could have similar capacity to my 1911's as well as a DA revolver. ;)

I still do a lot of revolver shooting when working as an instructor, although the bulk of it is generally done with one of my several 5-shot .38's & .357's. The medium-framed .357's and large-framed .44's see less range time, but every time I bring one or another through the range I remember why I liked carrying them when I was a younger cop.

I still chuckle when I think back to one of the times when I let one of the other instructors shoot one of my .44's. He got this wistful expression and said he really ought to get his 4" M29 out and bring it to the range (he used to carry it when he worked motors).