close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A new heavy 10mm cast bullet

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by Yondering, May 10, 2012.

1. Yondering

Yondering
    Expand Collapse

As some of you here know, I shoot a lot of cast bullets through my 10mm. I thought I'd share this info, hopefully it will help inspire some of you bullet casters out there.

I recently ordered a mold from Mountain Molds for a heavy 10mm bullet, that has turned out pretty well. (You design your own bullet on the Mountain Molds website, then the mold is made to your specs.)

This one is a 220gr flat nose, designed specifically for maximum case capacity, and at .673" long, is shorter than a 200gr XTP bullet. I had designed it as a 215gr bullet, but they end up at 220 with lube, probably due to alloy variations. I also designed it to work with 40 S&W brass, loaded to 1.260", since I have about 10 gallons of it. Most cast bullets can't be loaded to 1.260" in 40 S&W brass without exposing the lube groove.

I'm still working on load development, but AA9 seems to be a really good candidate right now, pushing these over 1300 fps average from my compensated longslide. Penetration in dry cedar firewood is very impressive; I had to rebuild my backstop after firing a bunch of these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: forgot to mention, the bullet on the left is a sized down .41 Mag bullet from a Mihec mold. It also weighs 220gr; you can see the difference in bullet length due to the design.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Yondering, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. harley45

harley45
    Expand Collapse

Posted to follow along I like this one!

3. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin
    Expand Collapse

This is very interesting, please keep us posted on results, groupings, and such, down the road please!:wavey:

4. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Oh, now THAT is what I'm talking about!

I would be most interested in that bullet @ 1,000-1,100 fps out of a stock length barrel in a g-20 (probably not stock barrel though)

5. Any Cal.

Any Cal.
    Expand Collapse

I am getting 1150 out of the stock barrel, with a hairline smile on some of the cases. I agree though, it makes a nice round...

6. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

That is what I get with 220's in my .41 mags as a "general purpose" round

7. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow
    Expand Collapse
    Ret. Fireman

Yondering, very nicely done, I like the bullet very much! It appears you pressed a homemade Gas Check on one of them in the picture, one is just lubed, the other is straight out the mold.

Might I ask about the meplat? It appears to be about 0.300 or 0.320".

I bet those would be great as a Hollow Point too! They would be a little lighter, but awesome to say the least.

Congrats!

8. Yondering

Yondering
    Expand Collapse

Shadow, yes, one of the bullets pictured has a home-made gas check from soda can aluminum on the base. This adds about .010" to the bullet length.

The meplat is .290", or about 73%. Experienced cast bullet handgun hunters say a 70% meplat is ideal; I went with a little more to help make the bullet shorter.

Any Cal helped with this design too, and has some of the bullets for his evaluation.

I've thought about having one cavity of this mold converted to hollow point. There are a few people that offer this service.

I've recovered a few of these fired into wood; cast hard they barely deform, cast soft (10-12 BHN) the nose rivets a bit but they remain intact. I haven't set up any wet newspaper tests with this bullet yet. It's going to take a longer stack of paper than my normal test setup.

9. nickE10mm

nickE10mm
    Expand Collapse
    F.S.F.O.S.

VERY nice, sir! :popcorn:

10. gofastman

gofastman
    Expand Collapse

Very nice indeed! I was looking at the Ballisti-Cast #996, but this one looks better. I too have a bunch of .40 brass and it would be nice to have a versatile bullet design.
    You shoot the long .40's in you 10mm barrel?

11. SDGlock23

SDGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Glockoholic

Nice looking bullet, I wouldn't mind having some to try out. Congrats!

12. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Dangit Yondering! Now you've done it again. Another thread that has me wanting to start getting into this casting stuff. That is pretty darned cool. I look forward to hearing how your bullets group. A 220 @ 1300 is pretty impressive stuff.

Thanks for another great thread.

13. Yondering

Yondering
    Expand Collapse

Yes. I have very carefully studied this, and am convinced there is no danger, in a Glock. I would not advise this in any other 10mm.

Taterhead, I haven't done a lot of shooting for groups, mostly just working up loads, but it's already obvious that these shoot really well. Accuracy seems better with this bullet in all loads, than with most of my other "good" loads.

One really nice shooting mild load I found was 9.0gr of 2400. It averaged 999 fps from my longslide, with a SD of 6. Very mild, and very accurate.

The one problem I've had with this bullet is a light leading towards the muzzle with the hotter loads. Not streaks of lead, just a light lead wash on the barrel, that doesn't seem to build up. I'm still experimenting with different hardness and lubes.

14. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow
    Expand Collapse
    Ret. Fireman

Yondering, my thoughts on the leading you are seeing, one thought is that as the bullet is pushed from the cartridge, the lube in the groove could be blasted outward because the 40S&W casing being shorter, as the bullet transitions to the bore.

Or a lack of lube on the long forward driving band from the start. You could try some Johnson's paste wax or alox on the nose, to see if it improves the situation.

Good luck sorting it out!

15. Ethereal Killer

Ethereal Killer
    Expand Collapse

Why hasnt anyone done a 125-130gr hardcast WFN? Running the design program and coming up with a workable design then running that thru QL for a baseline I am getting over 1700FPS with a 125gr bullet out of a 5.2" barrel and over 2100fps with a 16" carbine.

started new thread for discussion of this here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18953447#post18953447

16. Yondering

Yondering
    Expand Collapse

It does it with 10mm brass also. I've been wondering about the long front bearing surface, but the Mihec 220gr bullet also shown above has an equally long bearing surface (split by the crimp groove) and does not cause the same leading. No lube in the crimp groove on that one either. I didn't cast those myself though, so the alloy may be different. I'm going to try some Carnuba Red, which is designed for higher velocity (although it's never worked well for me in the past) and will also try some LLA.

17. doublebuck

doublebuck
    Expand Collapse

great job! got any for sale? I'm be first in line.

18. hubcap500

hubcap500
    Expand Collapse

Tell me more about the gas chex. I do lots of casting and would be very interested.

19. Yondering

Yondering
    Expand Collapse

See this thread about making gas checks for plain base bullets from soda cans or other thin aluminum. It should work with thin copper too.
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409223

20. WeeWilly

WeeWilly
    Expand Collapse

My sentiments exactly, everyday in everyway I get closer and closer to buying a casting kit.

Great stuff Yonderling, I really appreciate your sharing.