close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A month food supply - how and what?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Stupid, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Stupid

Stupid
    Expand Collapse

I am thinking to maintain a month's food supply.

1. What should I get?
    2. How do I store them? I don't want to "rotate" them too often.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Stupid, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Personal opinion - for a single month's supply, I'd just go with normal food that you use now & keep that much more of it. Especially if there's only two or three of you in the house, it'd be surprisingly easy to keep a month's worth on hand, and it might be surprising how little space it takes.

If you really did want to avoid the rotation completely and just put back some minimalist, bucketed-type things that would be good for years, I'd start with a bucket of rice and a bucket of lentils per person per month. You'd DEFINITELY want more variety than that, but that would suffice to keep body & soul together in a pinch.

3. bdcochran

bdcochran
    Expand Collapse

No rotation. Ok. Jerky, hardtack, spam. Rotation after a few years - canned fruit, canned stew, canned fish.

NOTE - none of this has to be cooked. None of it has to be cleaned. I speculate that a good 75% of the people in my area would be dead in a month if denied food.

Add some vitamins, minerals like magnesium and potassium.

4. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter
    Expand Collapse

1 month for me would probably be almost all canned. id add a few cans of stuff you regularly eat and rotate it out. in my house its me and my wife and our 3 dogs, but they have their own stocked away too :).

if you add some rice to the mix, you can extend that month supply to two or so. we have actually split a can of chili over a cup of rice and its a cheap way to extend the food. similar can be done with pasta as well, depending on your taste.

some bisquick and powdered milk or pancake mix, just add water kind, and you are set for breads and breakfasts.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

A month isn't long. Almost everything you eat regularly that doesn't require refridgeration would be doable. Doesn't have to be all canned stuff. Crackers, cereal, dried fruits (raisins). Buy stuff you like and eat anyway.

Storage? A shelving unit or two is sufficient.

Don't forget water.

#5 cowboy1964, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  6. Dexters

Dexters
    Expand Collapse

This is the simplest approach. Buy two cases of what you normally eat. After you are down to 1 case of something, buy another.
    Simple.

7. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

Good advice Quake.

8. paperairplane

paperairplane
    Expand Collapse

Your 30 day stock should be durable items you eat everyday. Pasta, canned meat and vegetables, frozen items, peanut butter, dried fruit, rice, beans, oatmeal, etc.

If you are looking at no maintenance - get a couple cases of MRE's. 1 a day will keep you alive and kept cool will last 5+ years. Pricey, but works.

Or you could get a 50# bag of rice and a 50# sack of dry beans. Cheap, stores well, lasts long time - of course after a few days of nothing but rice and beans you may want to be dead.

9. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

Like Quake said, just that a look at what you already eat, and buy extra that is "shelf stable" meaning it has a decently long shelf life and does not require refrigeration.

Canned fruit and veggies
    Soups & Stews
    Pasta
    Cereal (just get some parmalat or dry milk)
    Peanut Butter
    Oatmeal
    Tuna

Create a pantry area, rotate into your regular kitchen food, and keep that pantry stocked. MRE and Mountain house is expensive, and some don't people like the taste. With beans and rice, its simple food that will keep you from starving, but you got to eat a lot to keep your body weight, and its not very nutritious. Just watch Survivor, all the contestants eat a diet of beans and rice, and even with occasional "award" feast, they all have massive weight loss in only 30 days. My problem also it people seem to make long term food preps then forget them. When the SHTF is when you realize that the MREs are way past expiration, or one for your mylar seal opened when you stored your rice, and 20lb of it is now spoiled.

We all go food shopping at least once a week, if your pantry is part of your family's daily meals, you know your stuff will be fresh, and as taste change so does your pantry, so you know your kids will eat it.

10. FireForged

FireForged
    Expand Collapse
    Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

Heck, for a month I would just store Tuna, Rice, SPAM, PintoBeans and peanut butter.

11. G29Reload

G29Reload
    Expand Collapse
    Tread Lightly

Rotating is a PIA, but there's no way around it. Don't be lazy, the price to pay would be devastating.

What's the point of going to the effort and the expense, only to have a large amount of S#$! and big fan show up on your doorstep, need the supplies and find as you dig into them with no other choice since the supermarket was looted and burned to the ground, only to find your cans of XYZ are spoiled, rancid, bland or devoid of any real nutrition.

Get over it, and rotate.

A month is better than nothing, but not enough. I went for a years worth and would feel nekid without at least SIX months.

#11 G29Reload, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  12. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Fwiw, big +1 on that. (Although I thought it was spelled 'nekkid'... :cool: )

13. ratf51

ratf51
    Expand Collapse

Sit down and do up menus of what you actually eat for meals. Do as many different meals as possible, at least 2 weeks worth. This can be an eye opener as you actually think through what you eat on a regular basis. It is not difficult to stock your pantry with the foods you regularly consume and have a months worth of food if you plan it out. But I would recommend having some long-term storage foods in the mix for just in case. You gotta start somewhere.

14. Arvinator

Arvinator
    Expand Collapse

I suggest you make a menu, and as suggested earlier, buy extra and rotate.
    I keep canned soups, chili, tuna, corn, peas, beans, packaged corn bread & gravy, (Add water only) canned chicken, and a few cans of spam. I have dry goods of rice, beans, flour, corn meal, 2-3 jars of peanut butter, a spare box of crackers to rotate and six cases of ramen noodles.
    Salt, sugar, few spices and chicken & beef bullion cubes to add flavor.
    I also have 28 MRE's for me and my wife to eat 2 each a day, total 7 day supply. I also keep 28 gallons of water I rotate every 3 months.
    I think it is a little over 30 day supply, but just what I have done for me and my wife..

15. Kevin108

Kevin108
    Expand Collapse
    HADOKEN!
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

If you don't want to rotate, buy canned goods. Note whichever expires first. When the time comes, donate it all to a food bank or local shelter a month before it expires and buy the same stuff again.

#15 Kevin108, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  16. JYogi

JYogi
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I keep about 2 months worth of canned food on hand.
    I take it every 3 years and donate it all to a shelter or
    local food drive.
    We do not really eat much canned food at all on a regular
    basis but I like to be prepared in case.
    When I donate it it works out to a few hundred dollars to replace
    but I am doing something to help others and again have supplies
    on hand if we need it.

17. bdcochran

bdcochran
    Expand Collapse

The original question postulated no rotation.

Over the years, I have seen all kinds of postings about shelves that let cans roll down, rotation (probably not done). I do the donation to charity routine but I go further.

The pantry is not overloaded. I buy snap on clear plastic storage containers. Available at Office Depot and Lowes. Come in multiple sizes. I put tuna,canned soup, canned fruit, canned sphagetti sauce, canned stew, pasta, date marked flour, canned vegetables into separate see through containers. Theyare put in the garage out of heat. No mess in the kitchen cupboards. As I reduce the contents of a snap on container, I simply use a smaller container when possible. No lifting overhead. No pulling out cans from a shelf. No exposing the cans to kitchen heat. You know immediately what you have at a glance. The containers also stack very nicely.

18. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

As always - almost all food questions need to start with water. A lot of the good long term food storage answer are "bucket of dried food" - which means lots of water.

But overall - I'd hit canned ravioli, green beans, and peaches/citrus hard. Maybe some ramen and rice.. Not "indefinite" sort of storage...but the cost is low and the rotation could go pretty long.

Ravioli+G-Beans+Peaches = .80 +.70 + .90 or so = $2.40 per meal x 30 = $72 or $150 for 2 of that per day.

19. Stupid

Stupid
    Expand Collapse

Care to provide a list of what you have? :)

20. Stupid

Stupid
    Expand Collapse

Can I just store them in the house? The house gets pretty warm during the day without AC. Is that kind of temp swing OK?