close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

A Great Read about The Comanche in the Southwest

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by casualoffender, Feb 12, 2014.

1. casualoffender

casualoffender JAFO

Dec 1, 2012
    Carrollton, Tx.
    Empire of the Summer Moon
    by S. C. Gwynne
    A historical account of the conflict between the Comanche and the settlers who (often at their peril) attempted to live on the great plains.
    Survival in a place with limited water, no natural shelter, and nothing like any kind of real landmarks comes across as an astonishing feat managed for centuries by the Comanche.
    The attrocities comitted by some on both sides are discussed; this isn't a book about how terrible the whites, or the Indians were.
    There's a good piece about the Walker Colt revolver as well.

2. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Feb 19, 2010
    Third Rock From the Sun
    Read it last year. I concur. Great book.

Reading killing Crazyhorse right now another good read

3. J Lee

J Lee Silver Member

Aug 5, 2013
    South Carolina
    By Thomas Powers?

4. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo

Dec 19, 2013
    Read that three or four years ago - received it as a gift from 3 people the year it was published (2010, I believe). Excellent book.

CasualOffender, I you'd like to follow that up, read "On the Border With Mackenzie," by Capt. Robert G. Carter. As was common for books written back then (1935), the book had a secondary title: "Winning West Texas From the Comanches." Great book as well.

If your REALLY want to read something that'll blow your mind, read "Texas Ranger: Jack Hays in the Frontier Southwest," by James Kimmins Greer. I have yet to read of any man more bad ass than Jack Hays was. This book is filled from cover to cover with absolutely unreal accounts of fighting the Comanche. Truly fascinating, inspiring, and flat out amazing.

5. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Feb 19, 2010
    Third Rock From the Sun

yes.

Another great read on the Indians and their cause and effect is War on The Run by John F. Ross. Focuses on Major Robert Rogers but really covers the French-Indian war.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. casualoffender

casualoffender JAFO

Dec 1, 2012
    Carrollton, Tx.
    Thanks, I'll look for both.

7. AZson

AZson

Oct 5, 2005
    Tucson
    After reading, Bury my heart at wounded knee, those old cowboy and western movies came to me in a whole new light.

8. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    Maine
    Done some reading on The Apache and Lakota Sioux. Fascinating cultures. I always wonder if an advanced culture from space came here, would the do us like we did the Native Americans?