close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A grand on a new. My first. AR. What to get?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by jonny772, Nov 16, 2012.

1. jonny772

jonny772
    Expand Collapse

Well I have about a grand to get my first complete rifle and am looking for suggestions. I would be using it for plinking and home defense if needed. Looked at the stag model 1 and it seems like a great deal at 950. Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

walmart colt 6920

3. bmoore

bmoore
    Expand Collapse

Colt 6920 or build a BCM. Get the most for your money.

4. Brian Brazier

Brian Brazier
    Expand Collapse

Not trying to be rude, but you should really look through the already established "what should I buy threads". The last one is up to 9 or 10 pages of arguing about irrelevant crap, use google or your search engine of choice to research different brands, cause the only awnser you will get is Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, and BCM are the only brands worthy of perchase, which is grossly untrue. I have no experiance with Stag, do your homework and look at what owners of them are saying. I have owned 2 Doublestar rifles, the one I have now is an M4 style, the other was a 20" A4, both have worked flawlessly, all the parts that should be staked are staked correctly, the fit and finish is excellent, goes bang everytime I pull the trigger, whats not to like.

5. P99er

P99er
    Expand Collapse
    AKA PPQ'er

+1...

6. P99er

P99er
    Expand Collapse
    AKA PPQ'er

You should be patient and save another $2k and buy a Noveske. It's the only weapon I would trust my life with. :rofl: :rofl:

#6 P99er, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  7. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG
    Expand Collapse
    Milspectacular

I suggest reading the stickies on top of this forum, and make your own decision. Asking here will only get you suggestions based on little else than personal preference and brand loyalty.
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16903319&postcount=1
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17747770&postcount=1
    ETA: and this http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=75568&postcount=1

OR...

Just go to a few local gun shops and big name chain stores, look at a few models you are interested in, do some research online about the ones you like, and buy the one closest to your price range.

#7 LA_357SIG, Nov 16, 2012
  8. Sporaticus

Sporaticus
    Expand Collapse
    Aw sheet main

The stickies in the forum are largely opinion skewed to the typical chart fan boy opinion.

They ARE a good place to start. But I don't think we would get much disagreement that if has have $1k he wants to spend on an AR, no training, no ammo, no optics. He definitely cannot go wrong with a BCM or Colt. Or I suppose even SW. I don't know what the fan boys think of SW, but I know folks who are happy with them.

But, if he wants gun, ammo and optics for that amount, that's different story.

Other links to consider:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

9. jonny772

jonny772
    Expand Collapse

Thanks I have been searching the forums for ideas but nothing stag, or at least nothing that didn't turn into some other conversion:eek:

10. Sporaticus

Sporaticus
    Expand Collapse
    Aw sheet main

Again, you can't go wrong with a BCM or Colt, and they are right at $1k. But there are other rifles that will suit your needs and leave you some cash for ammo, training, or optics.

11. vettely

vettely
    Expand Collapse

I'm really digging my Sig M400 enhanced I got at Wally's for $917.

12. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

With your budget, I would look hard at a Colt. They can still be had online for right at $1,000. While it won't leave spare in your budget for extra mags and ammo, it's hard to beat a 6920. The mags and ammo can come over time.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

OP, I would get the most value/quality as you can for your money. The biggest value is Daniel Defense though they run slightly more than your stated $1K budget. Colt and BCM would be great choices within that budget.

Be careful who you take advice from. Some here think barrels attach to lower receivers.

14. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Colt 6920, unquestionably the best AR15 for a grand.

15. Brian Brazier

Brian Brazier
    Expand Collapse

Mjkeat, how can going well over a grand be a good value if thats what he s saying his budget is? For a plinking and home defense a S&W Sport, Doublestar M4 would be well under a grand, and be completley reliable. I am have no experiance with Stag, or Bushmaster, but there are plenty of people who own and love them as well. DPMS use to be the rifle everyone suggested people on a budget buy. How come everytime someone whats advise on a rifle, Daniel Defense, LMT, Colt, and BCM are the only viable options?

#15 Brian Brazier, Nov 16, 2012
  16. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Colts are available for under a grand if you shop around.

17. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

doubled...........

#17 mjkeat, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  18. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

I didn't recommend that he goes over his budget. I said DD is the best value. When you add up the parts that make up a DD, purchasing the complete AR is a good value.

People recommend those others because they reliably/consistently put out quality ARs. DPMS may have put out good stuff at one time or they may have not had much competition so they just appeared to be quality. The same could go w/ the companies that are considered GTG now. Who knows. Improvement is good. If DPMS changed things around and put out the best product, I'd own a DPMS.

19. Sporaticus

Sporaticus
    Expand Collapse
    Aw sheet main

"Recommend". "Advice"? I think someone takes themselves too seriously. Especially when they use words like "rampid".

We are a bunch of nobody's on the internet having a discussion. Who is so full of themselves to think they are someone to "recommend" or give advice? All we can do, is offer our own perspective.

I guess it's different if you want to be the board guru and feel important. And that would explain always having to get the last word in, and rebut each and every differing opinion.

Advice? Not from this crowd.

20. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

And what is the point of your post? If you don't like internet forums, fine, but go away and stop trolling here.