A Collection of BASIC INFO....

Discussion in 'Valuable Info' started by Timmah!, Oct 7, 2005.

1. I have visited this forum maybe a year or so ago but this is my first post. Most stuff I knew from when I first shot (very good free training at the range I went to) but did not know about the lead part until reading this post. Thanks Tim! Great info.

Also thanks to the poster of the detail strip; was surprised that link is still active even after 3 years; anyways looks like someone posted it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyLkOkNlsBE

That is one great video. :cool:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #61 pkpss, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. Great stuff, thanks, i vote for sticky!

3. Good post... thanks

4. Yes indeed a lot of great info here - thank you and I hope this is still a living thread. I have a question to add.

As a former 1911 shooter I've known for a long time that dropping the slide on an empty chamber is not good!!! It has also been frowned upon by SIG users. Is this a general rule for all semi-autos including the Glock? I just bought my first Glock - a sweet G19! I refuse to drop the slide (on an empty chamber). What's the rule here?

Thanks all and happy and safe shooting!
    Galileo

5. bdc

bdc Former Member

Originally postid= 2119217 from year 2003.

While properly gripping my G29, the fingers of my strong hand could not properly fit into the finger grooves. The trigger guard made hard contact with the knuckle of my strong hand saluting finger. To some measure, the gun was recoiling off my knuckle.

The grip on the G29 (G20, G21, G30) is more than .5” greater circumference than it should and must be. The trigger guard design is larger and more intrusive than it needs to be as it approaches the grip area. The trigger finger angle is incorrect. An unnecessarily wide lower frame (just to the rear of the trigger) interferes with the trigger finger as well. (Sf models now address some of these faults.)

The trigger guard CAN be dealt with:

Grip the (unloaded) G29 as if to shoot, with trigger finger comfortably extended along the slide. Rotate the G29 to observe where the trigger guard and frontstrap finger grooves contact the bony areas of the middle finger. To prevent unintended damage, remove the slide assembly and apply masking tape over the areas of the trigger guard and gun that are not to be altered.

With sharp flat, round and half round files and 150 through 600 grit sandpapers wrapped around tools: Remove material only from the trigger guard location that interferes with your knuckle. Check regularly as material is removed from the trigger guard. Check at the middle finger knuckle and top finger groove of the frontstrap to obtain the fit desired.

I removed .10” vertically from the right rear low point of the trigger guard, while leaving the left rear trigger guard untouched.

The material is easily shaped. The reworked surface will be lighter in color than the original finish because some reinforcing fibers are microscopically exposed. One coat of black shoe polish permanantly re-dyes those fibers to a finish the same color value as the original. Takes an amateur proceeding carefully about an hour to do a quality job, using only the simplest hand tools. Looks good and well worth doing!

The grip circumference is effectively smaller for my hand because my fingers now grip fully into the frontstrap grooves. My middle and ring fingers now grip .10” higher on the grip, and that much closer to the barrel axis. My pinky finger grips the forward surface of the magazine floorplate. No magazine extensions are required or desired any more. The overall size of the gun is that much smaller to conceal.

Feels like a completely different pistol. I don't spend any more time searching for the correct or more comfortable grip.

Gripping higher, closer to the barrel axis, also causes different bullet weights//velocities to hit in a smaller target area, without any sight correction.

Places on the grip I have identified to alter which may aid persons with smaller hands are:
    In whole or in part remove the textured plastic from the frontstrap and backstrap of the grip. Make sure not to remove more than the textured areas so that the magazine well is not punctured, or the frame not substantially weakened.
    Remove some of the ambidextrous thumb rest on the trigger finger side.

More radical grip reduction/shaping is possible via the “Candle Method”; or removing the backstrap and filling with plastics such as Devcon Plastic Weld, or reinforced plastics used in boat building/repair.

Full size frame pistols can be "chopped" in grip length to accommodate compact model magazines.

#65 bdc, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  6. Hi. I am new to this forum and also new with a Glock but not with guns. Could someone advise me what is the best position of the trigger (pulled after dryfire or not) so it doesn't wear out any part or spring if I was to store this. I am asking this cause I noticed the striker seem to be pre-tensioned after I rack the slide unless you dry fire it. Thanks

Maraf

7. BustedFlush

BustedFlush Springy Member

Maraf, it does not hurt your Glock, its parts or springs in any way to store it with the trigger forward.

With the trigger reset, the firing pin spring is only partially compressed. It is not fully compressed until you pull the trigger.

Having said that, for the sake of safety and knowing the condition of my Glocks, I dryfire unloaded Glocks before storing them.

There is usually a thread on that topic in General Glocking, as this comes up pretty often.

To learn more you might try a google search:

glock firing pin spring compressed

I think you'll find some interesting reading.

Welcome to Glock Talk!

BF :wavey:

p.s. Sorry this went unanswered for a month. This used to be at the top of the General Glocking forum, but was moved in a redesign of the website.

It's usually best to ask the questions over in the General Glocking forum:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

8. Sorry but Glock guide rods do melt and fall out as well, but the G19 kept shooting.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/10/06/1000-round-9mm-glock-19-torture-test/

9. Unable to find an answer on Basic Info threat. (I remember some time back there was a recall on the older Glock 21. Does anyone know of a recall on the older Glock 30 made in 1999?

10. In the "Complete Glock Reference Guide" by PTOOMA they do a torture test on a G17 I think and they run 1000 rounds through it in like 17 minutes. Towards the end of the test the guide rod melted and the rod shot out of the hole 15 ft down range. That being said most people aren't going to fire that many rounds to heat up their barrels to melt the thing. Just backing up what you said. :)

Great info and thanks.

11. 1st post to GT. Just bought my 1st. Glock(G-27), can't wait for 1st. crack at the range(weather change). Have numerous guns, always been negative on Glocks because of (plastic). Feels great, bought it to replace my S@W model 36. It's still in perfect shape, just needed an excuse. I'm really looking forward to the durability, and weight. Hope this site continues to keep my interest!!!:tree::tree:Merry Christmas too all, God be with our troops:50cal:

12. An arguement can be made for "Israeli Carry"; empty-chamber. Especially for beginners at home. If your carrying, then you better be pretty confident of your skills drawing and chambering rounds under stress. You can rack the slide off your heel if your down and one-handed. (All this is theoretical. I don't get in that many gun fights.)

The point is with all guns and especially glocks, once that round is in the pipe, you damn well skippy keep your finger off the trigger and put it in a holster as above.

Read Plexico Burris story (G40 slipped down warm-up pants and he grabbed it.)
    Also Pilot in Atlanta sent round through plane. See blutube search TSA. Holstering and re-holstering loaded weapons is a bad idea. )

13. atxjax

atxjax El Melao

awesome info here. Thanks for the read.

14. Darqnezz

Darqnezz Alive

Great info

15. Thanks for all the great info. I just bought a Glock 17 today and I am hungry for info.

16. Great thread here, especially for a newbie. I was head scratching recently over what to use on the grip (tape, rubber, etc.) and after reading this I guess nothing is without its drawbacks. Old "Smallhand" here is now at a loss.

17. Rancho_Nirvana

Rancho_Nirvana X 1911 Addict

The original post should be mandatory reading for all new Glock owners...

Well done!

18. Tagged for interest.

19. Timmah!

Timmah! Senior Jackass

Timmah! here (original poster).

Wow, October '05. Posted on a lark, it sure is nice to see that folks still look at this after all these years. Warms a shooter's heart.

Be Safe.
    Have Fun.
    Shoot Straight.

Timmah!