close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

A "civilian" would like LE opinion

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by banjobob, Nov 6, 2012.

1. banjobob

banjobob

Nov 3, 2008
    Texas
    I was driving on I 10 in west texas where speed limit is 80, all of a sudden cars are ahead of me are slamming on brakes.

Turns out its a Kimble county Sheriff in the "fast" lane traveling 50 mph, 30 below posted speed limit, radaring oncoming traffic. People were braking and rapidly changing lanes to avoid the unexpected and much slower vehicle ahead.

I know he was radaring because my detector was going off and this was the second time I have seen this in the same county.

My question is: was I wrong to assume that this particular peace officers motivations were more about revenue generation than public safety?

Is there anything that a safety conscience citizen without a vote in that county can do to help a fellow citizen avoid a MVA caused by a law enforcement officer breaking the law?

Was he really breaking the law, how did this officers actions help public safety, assuming my assertions are correct?

Just curious if I'm off base,

Thanks

2. trdvet

trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    You're off base, this would be a great thread for GNG.

3. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1. You accused him of breaking the law.
    2. You asked if he was really breaking the law.

Additionaly you attribute his perceived actions/intent to revenue.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

4. trdvet

trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    Please tell us the amount of the fine that goes to the state, municipality, county and the PD. Also, please tell us the method in which you gathered the speed of the cop car.

5. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Nov 4, 2007
    No, I was completely within the guidelines of departmental policy and procedure.

Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof.

6. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I'm assuming the goal was to reach a turnaround and get on the other side of the freeway to go after someone.

I think it makes more sense to do 50 so you don't have to really lock up the brakes at 80 to make the turnaround once you spot it coming up. As surprising as coming up on someone doing a constant 50 in the left lane, imagine the chaos of someone doing 50 in the left lane because they were just doing 80 and slammed on the brakes, and are simply passing through 50 on the way to doing 10mph as quickly as possible to get on the shoulder to turn around.

I think it makes more sense to do so in the left lane since that's where you enter the turnaround, rather than doing 50 in the right/center lane and trying to get over to the left lane once you spot the turnaround coming up.

50 vs 80 makes sense. Left lane vs right lane makes sense.

And that's... the rest of the story.

Randy

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  7. stk10767

stk10767

Mar 29, 2001
    If you truly think, for even one second, that cops are at all concerned with 'revenue generation', you are SEVERELY MISTAKEN.

8. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Jul 2, 2005
    Tx
    I'm concerned with it.....

If the city owned electric company doesn't generate any revenue, I might not get paid....

9. banjobob

banjobob

Nov 3, 2008
    Texas
    if I was doing the same thing would it be reasonable to expect that I would be ticketed or at least stopped? If driving significantly below the posted speed limit is not a safety issue than why would the state legislature pass the following:

§ 545.363. MINIMUM SPEED REGULATIONS. (a) An operator
    may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

If it creates a safety issue for a private citizen to do so than how does a law enforcement officer doing the same not create an equally dangerous situation?

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    My experience as a peace officer was that I would never even have known the city got money from tickets and arrests if I hadn't asked somebody about what some of the fees were that the judge read off to people in court. I certainly didn't get any extra money from it and neither of the 2 departments I worked for ever encouraged more tickets or mentioned the subject.

My father retired from the state police, my brother is a state trooper and some other family members have been city, state and county police. Not once have I ever heard anybody mention writing tickets for revenue, in my 46 years. Troopers keep track of "activity" but stopping to assist a motorist or giving a warning or answering a complaint counts just as much as writing a ticket.

This seems to be shocking to civilians, but the cops I know risk their lives, work as much as 36 straight hours (maybe more, that's just an example I know) in all kinds of weather, get hurt, run until they literally fall down, because they think it's the right thing to do and they have the personal pride that makes them do it. That applies to saving lives and catching felons and it applies to writing traffic tickets.

Don't understand it? Then you probably won't ever understand cops, firemen, soldiers, etc.

11. banjobob

banjobob

Nov 3, 2008
    Texas
    I have no idea about where the money goes once a fine is paid but I am fairly sure it does not disappear.

I should not have made a comment about revenue generation, it has obviously become a distraction from what I really was curious about which was the safety issue.

I guessed the speed by looking down at my speedometer when I passed the officer. It read 60mph and he was going considerably slower. It was just a guess, not an exact scientific measurement.

12. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Jul 2, 2005
    Tx
    Does it list what "normal and reasonable movement of traffic" is....?

Were you able to move around him in the right hand lane?

What safety issue was he creating? Specifically

13. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    A lot of guys working radar equiped cars just turn them on and leave them on. Just because your detector was going off does not mean he was looking for tickets to write. For all you know he could have been sent to look for a body (drunks have a habit of turning up in very bad places to be when drunk) on the side of the road and slowed down to look for it. Zooming past at 80mph you aren't going to see much and even if you do you will be in the next county before you can turn around.

14. banjobob

banjobob

Nov 3, 2008
    Texas
    You guys have convinced me, I'm wrong.

A car going at a significantly different speed than the flow of traffic and the posted speed limit (~30mph) offers no increased risk for a MVA, unless it is 5mph above the speed limit.

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    It doesn't if people drive like they are supposed to. That they have to slam on their brakes because they aren't paying attention is a reflection on them, not the cop. Nothing like a road full of stupid people looking for somebody else to blame.

16. imaguy3

imaguy3

Dec 30, 2007
    Arizona
    ok, yea I would say it could increase the chances of a MVA if the people behind him are texting or doing makeup or playing scrabble, rather than watching the road ahead of them and maintaining the proper safe distance behind the cars in front of them...

However, as everyone else has posted here, there are any number of reasons he was doing that, all of which were his job. So if you have a problem with us having to take risks doing our job (b/c it's never anyone's fault for not watching the road and paying attention when they drive), then by all means leave.

17. imaguy3

imaguy3

Dec 30, 2007
    Arizona
    wow Bren, we think alike... you just think a little quicker haha

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    It is not a question of convincing you that you are wrong but rather needing to know more of what he was doing.

It has been suggested that there might be any of several tasks he could have been doing that have nothing to do with monitoring the speed of oncoming traffic. Several people have suggested that at the field level many officers do not even know how much of the revenue of an individual citation is returned to the agency or municpality, nor do they care.

To play devils advocate I would have guessed that on an interstate defense system limited access highway for the speed limit to be 80 the road must be rather open and straight such that drivers should have sufficient forward view and should be watching for hazards far enough away such that no one should have to stumble upon an unexpected hazard.

That said if he was traveling at appreciably less than the speed of other cars, with a few exceptions, he probably should have had some warning lights if for no otehr reason that to try and minimize his chances of being hit.

19. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    oops double tap