close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

A carry dilemma...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Jim S., Aug 1, 2010.

1. I normally carry a G21SF. The problem is that I still love my 1911's.
    I have a couple that are basic models, which is my preference in 1911's, and are perfectly dependable so far.
    I've got an unknown amount of rounds through my 1911's without a failure.
    I didn't keep track on these guns.
    My 21SF has over 10,000 rounds through her without a failure.
    She feeds anything and everything. Shoots ALMOST as good as the 1911's.
    Not sure if it's the guns or just me shooting better with the 1911's.
    My dilemma is this...
    14 rounds of 45 in the Glock. Perfectly dependable and durable.
    Wouldn't get upset if she got banged around and beat up.
    Simple to use and take apart.
    But alas... not much soul. Sort of like not really any class or distinction to a Glock.
    1911 people will understand. Even the basic models of 1911's have the quality and distinction that only a gun such as these can have.
    I don't feel undergunned with 7 or 8 rounds of 45 with me. Add a spare mag and why would I need more?
    But... I still end up carrying the Glock and leaving the 1911's in the safe.
    They are not happy and neither am I.
    Anyone else deal with this or even want to chastize me over this???
    Give me your thoughts.

2. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Aug 17, 2001
    Chesapeake, Va
    Yep. I prefer the 1911 platform, but carry a G23. Sometimes a G26. I've got a very nice Kimber CDPII Compact that sits uncarried. Cost twice as much as any of my Glocks. I also have a Para-Ord P13.45 that equals the capacity of my Glock 21 (but seems to weigh twice as much).

I don't mind honest wear, but I seem to have a problem bumping into things and my Glocks take it better than any of my finely finished 1911s. A stupid (as in unnecessary) scratch on the slide of a 1911 makes me feel bad, almost as though I've been careless with my property. That same scratch on a G21 would annoy me the first time I noticed it, but I wouldn't think about it after that. On a 1911, it would bug me everytime I saw it. I don't know what the answer is. :dunno:

3. 69 Mach One

69 Mach One

May 4, 2007
    SW PA
    I carry Kimber Pro CDP II everyday in a Tucker IWB for the last 3 years & she looks like new. Only sign of slight wear would be the rt grip but easy to rectify.

4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    The old saying " I have a 1911 to show my friends and a Glock to show my enemies."

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  5. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

I have my Kimber Ultra carry for edc..it was not cheap nor was it particularly expensive either. It has been nothing but reliable since I got it, it gets carried in a supertuck and when the finish gets too worn I will have it robar'd or harchromed. Not a huge issue. I carry this gun because it is comfortable, easy to conceal and every time I pull the trigger it goes bang.

6. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    and then it blows up in their face..... literally. :wavey:

To the OP, if you carry a G21 and you are comfy with it, don't change it.

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    I wouldn't replace a glock with a 1911 for duty. But if you've trained with your 1911 and it's functioned fine, it's plenty good enough for concealed carry. Carry what you shoot well. I switch between glocks and a Springfield loaded for off duty carry. Good luck whatever you choose!

8. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Personally, I carry a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II ( in a Galco belt-slide holster) plus a spare 7-round magazine (in a Gould & Goodrich paddle magazine pouch).

9. I have carried a glock and my duty issued sig 229 off duty. But in the end I don't shoot any gun as well as I shoot a 1911. Not that I'm bad with the others. I would easily qualify with them but where as I can get them all in the head at 25 yards I can put them all in the forehead at 25 with the 1911. So I ask myself. If I'm with my children and the goblins come which gun do I hope I have with me. For me the answer is always a 1911.

10. The bottom line for me is that I have to be proficient and confident with the firearm I carry. I feel comfortable with either platform. If you do as well, carry what you want.

11. flynlead

flynlead

Jan 2, 2010
    I own glocks and 1911's and I carry a 1911 because it is the gun that I can pull fast and has a natural aim for me so my advice is carry the gun you can pull fast and hit accurately

12. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    The reason why you still carry a Glock is because you haven't carried a CCO 1911. I have Springfield's version of it and that thing is as easy to carry as a j frame but with a Commander length barrel. It's like a thin G19.

Although I do understand your plight. I sometimes carry a P228 instead of the Springfield. Mostly when I go to SF. Partly because they carry Sigs and I figure if that gets seen by a cop up there they are more likely to think "cop" rather than "crook." That and SF can be a rough place and 16 rounds of 9mm beats 8 rounds of .45. Blasphemy I'm sure but it works for me.

13. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

Although I do understand your plight. I sometimes carry a P228 instead of the Springfield. Mostly when I go to SF. Partly because they carry Sigs and I figure if that gets seen by a cop up there they are more likely to think "cop" rather than "crook." That and SF can be a rough place and 16 rounds of 9mm beats 8 rounds of .45. Blasphemy I'm sure but it works for me.[/QUOTE]

not to derail.. but I was under the impression that SF is a "gun free" zone and CCW is not a legal option there

14. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Urine Idiot

Jan 23, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I believe CACop is a CACop, therefore permitted to carry. My first clue was from his screen name.

15. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    i love 1911's more than anything, but i also do not carry one. I leave that up to the HK P2KSK or Ruger LCR. Im not worried about being under-gunned just comfortable and ive been carrying the HK for a few years and the LCR is just awesome because it is so light and concealable.

16. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Doh! :homer:

...although I'm not a Hokie (I have season tix, but my wife is the alumni) and I no longer own a G23.

17. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    You kind of said it in your intial post; Your Glock holds qhite a bit more ammo, shoots well, is durable as hell, and takes a beating without complaint, all while being dead reliable.

The one thing that it does not have is soul....

I have faced this very same dilemma- 1911 vs Glock (in my case, a 23), and I asked myself the same questions....what would the 1911 do for me that Glock could not do as well, or even better?

When I broke it down , the only advatage that the 1911 had as a carry gun was that it....was cool.....Not just a little cool, but mega, Punisher/Bruce Willis Last Man Standing cool....

That's when I reminded myself that I was living in real life, not a movie, and that what works, every day, in real life, relaibly, was more important in every way than how cool my pistol looked.

18. Trey83

Trey83

Feb 28, 2010
    Right now I carry a Glock. Both platforms have their advantages and disavantages so there isn't a right or wrong. I have been considering getting a commander sized 1911 for carry because of how much more natural feeling they are. I just shoot the 1911 much better than the Glocks and I am becoming comfortable with the idea of carrying coked and locked.

19. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    :rofl:I deal with the same exact dilemma every day! I thought I was the only one. I LOVE a 1911 and shoot them pretty regularly. I also recently bought a G-21sf RTF2 and it gobbles up any ammo and shoots much better than I thought it would.

I've been shooting this week in 100 degree weather and when my hands are sweaty and tired from running around and shooting 300 rounds+ of 45, I think the Glock is a little more forgiving when doing drills back to back. A steel frame seems to get hotter and slippery-er, and that huge slide on the 21 is easy to grab. This may sound wierd, but I like the trigger on the Glock better in conditions like that.

That's why I'm glad I have the freedom to own as many pistols as I want.

20. I agree with what you guys are saying about Glocks and 1911's.
    The problem is that I carried a 1911 for 30 years before I opened my mind to the fact that Glocks were possibly good sidearms.
    I found out they are very good sidearms. That's why I carry one.
    I also know that once a 1911 is established as reliable it is a very good sidearm too.
    I like a full metal gun. I like the way a 1911 feels and shoots. I have yet to see a Glock after 30 years of carry.
    But... my 21SF is a real work horse that can handle whatever happens and if for some reason it was sitting in an evidence room for two years I wouldn't really cry about it.
    I guess for now the 21 is the gun I will carry.
    I don't really like to switch carry guns either so I won't be carrying one today and the other tomorrow.
    I guess it's nice to have this problem, hey? :supergrin: