close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

A 14" barrel pistol grip shotgun that isn't NFA?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Narkcop, May 17, 2012.

1. Narkcop

Narkcop

Jan 12, 2003
    Kentucky
    I just came across this last night and it seems to indicate a loophole where you can have a 14" barrel pistol grip shotgun and not have to buy a tax stamp. It must have shipped from the factory with just a pistol grip and have an overall length over 26". What you think?
    http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

2. You still have to buy a tax stamp. But its $5 for an aow instead of $200

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. Just read the whole article.

I'll bet the tech branch letters get overturned just like the bumpfire stocks with the springs in them.

4. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl

Feb 22, 2011
    I noticed the ATF is very cautious in their wording, but it appears thus far this firearm wouldn't be an NFA weapon.

ETA: Henry and Rossi have already used a similar loophole with their lever action "pistols", the Henry mares leg and the Rossi ranch hand. Shipped from the factory with a pistol grip thus handguns.
    Sent from my phone booth

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  5. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Oct 20, 1999
    Maine USA
    Anything with a smooth bore under 18" is a Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS) and requires the $5 and 6 month wait.
    It really does not matter if and what stock is on there.
    That is one reason the Taurus Judge has a rifled barrel.
    I don't know where these guys got this letter from, but good luck with a Judge not laughing you out of court and slamming you with a fine if not jail time!

6. Narkcop

Narkcop

Jan 12, 2003
    Kentucky
    If it has a stock it's a SBS if it doesn't it's AOW, however AOW would be under 26". I think the Mare's head rifles are a good comparison as it appears this doen't need a stamp. ATF may change their tune later but the letters on that website check out.

7. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

The "Mares Leg" "rifles" are actually pistols, the same as a Ruger Blackhawk for instance.

A smoothbore shotgun has a different set of rules.

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    :agree:

$5 tax stamp.

:cool:

9. I can't believe that Mossberg hasn't jumped on the sale of these.

But I bet state laws would be a nightmare. I did check VA code and it appears to allow sawed off shotguns if possessed in compliance with federal law.

10. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Mar 17, 2005
    Has anyone ever tried to go to court to challenge the Miller decision? As I recall, the decision was never argued on the pro-Miller end, because Miller wasn't around when it finally came before the court.

The ATF's restrictions are ludicrous. On one hand, we have weapons that are restricted because they have "no militia use" -- and SBR's and SBSG's (as well as weapons with full-auto capability) clearly have a militia use -- and on the other hand we have weapons restricted for not having "a sporting purpose" as if the second amendment says anything about sport.

11. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I personally think all these Firearms Laws are a bunch of horse crap anyway, what part of "Infringe" aren't the jerks that pass these laws understanding.
    All that aside, I've always thought that a smooth bore shotgun had to have at least an 18" bbl and be 26" or longer to be legal. That's why they put rifling in the revolving shotgun/revolvers like the Judge and Governor so they'll be classified as a revolver instead of a short barrel shotgun.
    I do know that if you buy an AR lower and fill out the 4473 to state that it's a handgun instead of a long gun then you can build an AR pistol out of it but if you fill out the 4473 and list it as a long gun and build a pistol you're up crap creek because you've just manufactured an illegal weapon.
    I know, stuff like that is so totally stupid but it's because a bunch of Lawyer types wrote all these dang laws in the first place.
    I really do hope this "loop hole" is real but I, personally, wouldn't buy one because I really wouldn't want to risk it.

12. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    for 4" I won't go trough the trouble, the grip looks terrible

13. The new 4473's have a terms for receivers only.

I do think the big problem with building one of these is even though you are legal to do so, most cops would still arrest you for having one without NFA paperwork.

14. Narkcop

Narkcop

Jan 12, 2003
    Kentucky
    If ATF wants to arrest you they will, it's really that simple. I know I served my time at DEA for 6 1/2 years and the Federal system is so totally corrupt it's scary. I'm gonna get one as long as I'm complyimg with the law I'm not going to sweat it.

15. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Correct. Early mares legs were converted from factory rifles, and therefore became AOWs. The new ones are made from the factory as a pistol.

The ATF has recently been making some odd rulings. A 26" or more OAL on an AR with a forward vertical grip and a pistol lower isn't an AOW or a pistol, but an "Other" on a 4473, and no stamp required. Same situation here - over 26" OAL means no stamp.

For now. The ATF can reverse that decision at ANY time, and they do NOT have to grandfather you in.