close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9x25 Dillon 124gr XTP hunting load

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by JTknives, Jan 30, 2011.

1. JTknives

JTknives
    Expand Collapse

I am in search of a load that will push a 124gr XTP out of my 6" barrel @ 1700fps minimum. Im going to be taking a few Antelope this year and plan on taking one with the 9x25 and the 10mm and comparing a few things. I will be doing this hunt in Wyoming and so i need to hold 500ftlbs at 100 yards. if i hit 1700fps i got the cat in the bag. Spare me the "The 9x25 dillon is a target round not a hunting round" Speech. My hunting budy lives in wyoming and has taken lots of antelope over the years and gave me the green light on the 9x25. I think I'm going to have to use LongShot as my powder. staying under 40,000psi for my loads and using Quickloads to find a powder has shown that most of the powders like Blue dot, AA#7, VV105 and a few others about top out at 1690fps at around 39,000-40,000. there are a few other powders that would work if i could stuff more powder in the case, like Lil'gun for example. My problem is that my quickloads does not have LongShot. Any idea on a powder to play with. i don't trust QuickLoads 100% any way but I'm trying to find a powder to start with.

2. JTknives

JTknives
    Expand Collapse

I found it, VihtaVuori n105 is just what i need. here is what my QuickLoads spit out for me. Notice it burns most of its powder in the barrel and still has a nice high muzzle PSI for working the comp.