close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm vs .40 vs .357 sig vs 10mm vs .45

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Herzeleid, Jul 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Kein Mitleid

Yep, I did it.

I want to see a heater caliber debate go on, and it doesn't seem the caliber corner has much debate or discussion going on.

So guys, which one is the bestest? :popcorn:

2. fredj338

fredj338

The one you can hit with the fastest & the mostes.

3. ParisArms

ParisArms

4. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Here are some charts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  5. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Kein Mitleid

The best to carry and defend yourself with if you only had a choice between the mentioned calibers.

phew! How does the 10mm stack up against the .50 bmg? I take it, it's pretty close, right? :supergrin:

6. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

:upeyes:

7. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Kein Mitleid

I take it you don't enjoy watching caliber debates as much as I do?

I'm sorry :(

8. JabbaNoBother

JabbaNoBother

9. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

.308 vs 300 winmag vs 338 lapua vs :rofl:

10. JabbaNoBother

JabbaNoBother

Eb, I like your style lol

11. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

9mm = hard to find these days
    40sw = plenty of flavors to choose from, at least something will be on the shelves
    357sig = still too expensive
    45acp = hard to find & getting more expensive
    10mm = have to 'roll your own'

12. NoJoy

NoJoy

You forgot to mention 38 Super; the low end of the 357mag spectrum, but still plenty of power and with relatively low recoil- double taps are easy. More power than a 9mm+P, less recoil than 357sig. And its available to buy right now vs 9mm. :)

13. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Kein Mitleid

but doesn't like the .40 SW blow up in your hand every 100-200 rounds? :dunno:

...I saw a pic of, and....... :dunno:

14. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

If you're bored get a pet or a girlfriend.

15. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Kein Mitleid

Not as bored as someone who posts on the internet with such advice. :whistling:

16. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

17. Arnold Kuhl

Arnold Kuhl

Had no idea that the 10mm was such a ferocious beast; a veritable butt-whomper.

That's ok. I probably couldn't handle the recoil anyway. .357SIG is about my limit, given my superannuation and decrepit physical condition.

Besides, it's all about SHOT PLACEMENT, right?

AK

18. Adamz04

Adamz04

I'll play this game since caliber corner has been really boring lately.
    iMO I think 357sig is the best pistol cartridge available, period! When you combine power, capacity, and platform I don't think anything else can beat it. .40 being in second although I don't care for it.
    10mm is possibly my favorite cartridge and would get my vote except for the size of platform needed to deliver it.
    Of course I'm not factoring in cost of ammo for those of us who do not reload. Strictly ballistics.

19. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Kein Mitleid

So extra ft/lbs of energy = better chance of incapacitating someone?

Would you say the .357 > .40 > .45 > 9mm like that?

20. fastbolt

fastbolt

Such "caliber debates" were much more interesting before I'd spent a lot of years in LE, including working as a firearms instructor & armorer.

Nowadays? Not so much.

Got a favorite? Suit yourself.

Kind of like debating cars, computers, shoes, boots, jackets, belts, screwdrivers, hammers or other tools.

Pick whatever you like for whatever reason(s) seem practical & necessary to you.

For me, it's just a handgun being employed in a dedicated defensive role.

I remember when we were changing issued weapons and calibers a few years prior to my retirement, and people of all levels were asking for my opinion about make, model, caliber, etc. I refrained from making comments indicating what I personally thought about any of the potential gun/caliber combinations. I told anyone who asked that they'd all work, were all being successfully used by LE agencies all over the country, and I couldn't care less as long as I received the support for training, parts, maintenance, ammunition, etc after the choice had been made.

Apparently, any number of folks asking me that question seemed to have expected me to have some definitive opinion or answer about what I thought was best. :rofl:

It's a handgun.

I changed model & caliber 3 times, I think, once new guns were selected. That was because inevitably somebody else wanted whatever I was carrying at any particular time, and when the new inventory was limited, I simply offered to turn in the gun/caliber someone else really wanted, and I took something else. The last time I took someone else's compact .45 because they really wanted my compact .40 ... and I didn't care one way or the other.

Did I mention it's just a handgun?

I own and carry revolvers & pistols consisting of .38 Spl, .380, 9, .40 & .45, and every once in a while I might carry one of my .357 Magnum revolvers loaded with Magnum ammo, but not all that often ... and I used to carry revolvers chambered in .44 Spl, .44 Magnum & .45Colt.

If I were really concerned about "sheer muzzle energy" and "ballistic capability", I'd return to carrying .357 Magnum & .44 Magnum on a daily basis, and carefully select the ammunition for the envisioned task or anticipated circumstances ... but I'm not.

I'd have carried a .41 Magnum before I'd have carried a 10mm, but that's because of ammunition development and availability during the early years of 10mm. Limited choices in guns, too. I didn't really care for the early G20 I had a chance to use in the Fall of 1990 (instructor class and a visiting Glock rep), although the introduction of the 1006 sort of interested me.

I was more eager to see the Ruger P90 10mm introduced, but Ruger changed his mind at the last moment and released it in .45 ACP (which was still okay with me, being a longtime .45 shooter ;) ).

Not being either a handloader anymore, nor a hunter, the 10mm has little interest to me nowadays, other than a certain amount of nostalgia for the premise of its creation. I was an avid shooter & reloader with real Magnum capability revolvers for many years, so the current tend of hot-rodding the 10mm is something I got out of my system many years ago.

When it comes right down to it, what's to "debate" about these low-powered handgun calibers, anyway?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013