close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm Reloads

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bryandover, Jul 23, 2012.

1. bryandover

bryandover

I been asked by three shooters what load I use in 9mm. Well I'm a little different than everyone else, I use Montana Gold 115 JHP 1.120 OAL over 4.0 of Titegroup. What ever powder you go with I think the velocity needs to be 1050 to be assured to reliably knock down the poppers. Most use and I tried the 147 grain at 825-850. I agree they have a lot less blast and are a little softer but not much at a lower power factor. I think the blast reduction make most believe there is more recoil reduction than there is. Also N320 is the preferred powder but at 120-125 power factor the recoil reduction is minimal. I have made several runs on the 5TG #1 with 115gr and 147gr with no reduction in time or accuracy. BUT THAT IS ME and if you feel there is a advantage great. I can get 4000 115gr for less than 3000 147gr and 8lb of Titegroup for $10 more than 4lbs of N320. If money is no object N320 and 147gr would be my first choice. But with the cost savings the benefit of shooting more rounds out weights little recoil advantage for me. Plus for USPSA I use the same charge with a MG 124gr JHP at 1.075 OAL and makes a nice 132 power factor. What started all this talk was .45 loads. I used to load Clays but with a majority of my loading is 9mm I wanted to go with one powder. Wow there is my secret but to win in GSSF transitions wins matches and not reducing split times. But that's a harder fix than reduced loads.

Feel free to attack, Bryan

2. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Bryan, Bryan Bryan:faint: Everyone knows you have to use 147 gr to make sure a low hit on the plates or poppers will put them down.

3. bryandover

bryandover

Ammo doesn't make a good crutch for poor shooting.

4. SARDG

SARDG

I don't seem to have problems with poppers (anywhere) with my load - but I throw 147 grains at 'em.

I began reloading ONLY to develop match loads - not to save money. If I wanted to save money and still get a decent load I probably would have eventually gone with Atlanta Arms rather than spending $4,000 - $5,000 + on a single press setup.

I was also looking for a single powder solution for 9s and .45s AND a single load solution in 9 mil for GSSF, Steel, and IDPA [Minor PF of 125 required].

My 9mil load:
    3.5 gr VV N320 behind
    147 gr Montana Gold CMJ
    1.135 OAL
    .3775 Crimp
    Federal SPP
    882 fps for a PF of 129.65

N320 has absolutely everything a reloader could want in a powder (except price and availability); it meters well in my 650, it is virtually smokeless and flashless, it is light gray in color and relatively voluminous so easily seen in the case when reloading and a double charge would overfill the 9 mil case. I chilled these rounds to 45-50 degrees and heated them to 110+ and ran them through a chrono - there was a 4 fps difference from cold to hot - statistically insignificant.

My IDPA Match Director every week goes on about how accurate my load is (so far, he hasn't given me much credit for the accuracy, so it must be my loads.) I was plinking at bleach bottles at 75 yds with this load at slow fire and once dialed in - killed 'em dead! At IDPA max distances of 35 yds a fist size group in IDPA practice is not uncommon. That will take the A zone right out of a GSSF target at 25 yds - though a B hit is just as good.

When giving basic competition tips, I also say "quick transitions, controlled splits" - and of course, don't zig-zag.

Now Bryan... since we are obviously on the same page regarding so many things competitive... why are your scores in the 40s and mine are in the 80s - on a good day? :shocked:

Kitty

5. bryandover

bryandover

Must be those 147grain bullets :upeyes:

6. SARDG

SARDG

Yep, I'm sure that's it! :whistling:

7. Melissa5

Melissa5

8. bryandover

bryandover

Kitty,

I began reloading ONLY to develop match loads - not to save money. If I wanted to save money and still get a decent load I probably would have eventually gone with Atlanta Arms rather than spending $4,000 - $5,000 + on a single press

:wow: Gee wiz I got 3 Dillon 1050's for that.

9. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I know that's right; that's why they make aftermarket triggers and red dot sights.:tongueout:

10. bryandover

bryandover

11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Because Bryan is in his 40s and you are, well....:whistling::embarassed:

12. bryandover

bryandover

Sorry MasterBama I not in my 40's anymore. :crying:

13. SARDG

SARDG

Hmmm. With friends like you and Don....

14. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

...but still younger than some feline named people :rofl:

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Kitty.:wavey:

15. Justin1911

Justin1911

147 gr molly, 3.5 of Solo 1000 loaded to 1.13 OAL. Nice and soft, makes about 128-130 pf for USPSA also (G34). I loaded some 125's recently with 3.5 of Solo also, they are super soft, won't make PF for uspsa and only function well in my G26 with a lighter slide. I increased the charge, but POI was too high with my sights, so I'll just stick with the 147's and use the rest of my 125's for the 26 only until they run out.

16. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

You couldn't find 2 better friends who stand behind you always. Waaaaaaaaaaaay behind you.:tongueout::rofl::faint:

Don

17. SARDG

SARDG

The press was only the beginning. Actually, I wish I had started with the 1050.

I read a couple of reloading books and they said I could get started in reloading for $300-$400 - and I believed them. :embarassed: But then, I have no intention of diddling with single-stage or manual turrets. I was shooting about 25,000 rounds a year once - a little less now.

I have nearly every other reloading bell and whistle there is. If I thought something could save me a little time and effort - I was on top of it. My time is valuable - I'm retired. You kids got a lot of time!

18. SARDG

SARDG

You didn't see that picture of me with Danny - does that look like an old gal?? :whistling:

19. SARDG

SARDG

At least you got my '6'. :)

20. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Well Bryan if you don't mind allow me to through in my .02. First I want everyone to understand that I am not and will not become a master class shooter. ( bet that surprises a few right off the bat)

In 9mm I use the following:

135gr Xtreme RNFP Bullet
    3.4gr. Titegroup
    1.12 OAL
    Federal Primers

In .45 GAP I use the following:

200gr Xtreme FP Bullet
    4.2gr Titegroup
    1.068 OAL
    Federal Primers

I also sometimes load:

185gr Xtreme FP Bullets
    4.4gr Titegroup
    1.068 OAL Federal Primers

I do all my reloading on 2 Dillon 550B presses. Although I am not a master I fully believe that my loads will serve anyone well and that with the right person behind the trigger they will do whats needed for GSSF.

By the way Bryan I am glad you are sticking around. I am interested in reading your posts, they are both informative and make good points. I would like to be able to shoot at your level or a couple other masters I know but 70 is not a great age to expect wonders, but I can still have fun and sometimes surprise myself.

Don

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012