close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm Powder suggestions

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Rich22, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Rich22

Rich22
    Expand Collapse

Now that I know enough to have not blown myself up in the first 4K rounds loading 9mm I am looking for powder suggestions. I currently only have unique, my main issue with it is that it is inconsistent in the powder measure. What I am looking for is to take the velocities up quite a bit. Not looking for anything insane but I do like hot loads generally and from what I have read Unique will not do this well. Big things are

Good consistency in powder measures, I have the stock one with the LNL AP.

Excellent velocity with normal pressures.

As low a recoil as possible while achieving fairly high velocity.

Nothing extremely expensive.

If it could be cleaner that would be a plus, found Unique to be a bit dirty but that is not a very big problem.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Rich

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Cfish

Cfish
    Expand Collapse

Look into WSF. It should the things your asking.

3. emb111

emb111
    Expand Collapse

I too use WSF. It covers the bases on every weight bullet that I want reload for both my 9s and 45s. It also fills the cases, meters well through my Dillon 550, and it is impossible to double charge a case. I have developed loads for a wide range of bullet weights in both calibers that are more accurate than me. I have never bothered to chronograph loads for these calibers. It simply hasn't been necessary for my purposes. I've also never compared to the loads I developed using Unique, but I think it is cleaner.

Good luck.

4. DarkShooter

DarkShooter
    Expand Collapse

I like 231 because it meters great and is very consistent, but it wont get the velocity you're after. Maybe Power Pistol?

Be safe - never exceed the max charge, and don't change componets w/o backing off first.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta
    Expand Collapse

Unique is the wonder powder.

Get a better powder measure ;)

6. ColoCG

ColoCG
    Expand Collapse

As has been said by others WSF and Power Pistol are good powders to try and reach your goal.
    I think you can also achieve what you want with Unique. If you are experiencing dirty loads it is probably because your Unique load is too light.

It burns much cleaner from midrange loads up. Small inconsistancies in your charge of Unique usually are just not a big deal unless you are loading on the Edge of max. Accuracy with Unique will also be about as good as the others or better.

7. Rich22

Rich22
    Expand Collapse

Interesting, I am doing max or very very close to max load although with a bit longer OAL. Reason I have been concerned with the variation is that I am close to max so I am extremely careful, I do like that a double charge is an impossibility however and that a normal charge is very easy to see in the case.

8. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Unique is great for top-end loads in 9mm.

WSF is also good and meters better. In .45 auto, I've found it to be a little softer shooting while attaining the same speeds as Unique. The only down side I can think of is that there just isn't as much data out there for WSF as there is for Unique.

9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

1. You should post your complete load data
    2. If unique isn't doing it, check the data for, power pistol, aa#9, and longshot.
    3. Settle the powder in the measure better, never bump the measure after you start loading, keep it half full or better.

and most important...

4. Stop loading near Max on a progressive press.

10. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

For the most part, I get higher velocity with Unique than I do with Power Pistol. This is because I am using 30 year old data for Unique which actually gets the bullet all the way out of the barrel. Power Pistol being a relatively new powder, has new data. New data is suck data. If people would just use 30 year old manuals and Unique, we wouldn't have so many threads where new reloaders can't get their 9mm loads to cycle the slide.

11. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

Power Pistol will work well and help keep pressures low at max loadings. Meters pretty good in my experience. It does not take up as much case volume as say AA7 or AA9 but you will notice a double charge for sure.

12. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

WSF, it's pretty much spherical Unique. I find in several calibers, it's veryslightly slower than Unique. So if I do not have WSF data. using starting Unique data is really, really close.

13. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983
    Expand Collapse

Universal clays has a similar burn rate and meters much better than unique.

#13 glock_19guy1983, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  14. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

I probably am not looking for the same velocity specs as you, but I love VV N320 which I use for 124s and 147s when I'm looking for a soft-shooter with a low PF.

320:
    1. Meters well in a Dillon 650
    2. Burns clean
    3. Is virtually smokeless and flashless (and stinkless)
    4. Is light gray in color to see easily in the case when loading
    5. Will fill a case if double-charged

It is however:
    1. Expensive, and
    2. Difficult to find

15. tango44

tango44
    Expand Collapse

WIN 231 for me!

16. Electrikkoolaid

Electrikkoolaid
    Expand Collapse
    Grape flavored!

WSF, WST, Power Pistol will all meet your requirements.

17. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

In 9mm I am a WSF fan.

18. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

Yup, 4.6gr ,115gr FMJ , 1.120OAL

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#18 Fwdftw, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  19. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

Win 231 is not the best choice if you are trying to push the velocity curve. You would want a slower powder. WSF, Power Pistol or better yet longshot. However looking at load data auto comp and Universal are in the same neighborhood for 124gr 9mm's. If you are shooting something lighter you could even look at HS6.

20. Rich22

Rich22
    Expand Collapse

Your correct, should have posted this

124gr PD RN Jacketed
    Federal SPP
    Normal plinking load 5.4gr Unique
    1.15 OAL
    Shot from G19, G26, Sig P250

Powder measure is kept 3/4 full on average I have cleaned it out several times and have used the (not sure if this really has any effect or not) technique of using the dryer sheet to reduce the static cling in the powder measure. According to Hornady CS the variation I am seeing which is on average +/- .2 gr is normal for Unique, My normal plinking load is 5.4 90% of the charges I have weighed, I usually check at least 10% of the charges, is between 5.2 and 5.6 and never had a charge over 5.7 or under 5.0. For my OCD self this just doesn't work for me though. On all my loads when I have been going at max I have checked every charge and that gets way too time consuming and takes away the advantage of a progressive press.

Data I have says max for a 124 is 5.8gr Unique at 1.12 OAL. On the ones that I have loaded at that I have seen no pressure signs although with my experience level it would likely have to be blatantly obvious for me to see it. Do not have a chrono yet but that is likely in the very near future.

Appreciate the info so far. Looks like there are a whole lot of choices out there that I have not considered.

Rich