Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

9mm +p+ ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by bill111444, Nov 14, 2011.

1. bill111444

Jun 28, 2010
    I got a deal on 4 boxes of Ranger 127g +P+ ammo to carry in my stock Gen3 G19. I was reading on the net that it is dangerous to fire +P+ ammo in a stock Glock because of the unsupported barrel....I have to buy an after market barrel. I was reading a post here on Glock Talk on the same ammo and they say--sure, go ahead and use it, the gun can handle it. I will believe Glock Talk people over anyone else, so I'm just asking for assurance. Thanks for your time. :cool:
  2. The problem with +P+ is that there is no set standard defining the upper pressure limit like there is with +p. So one manufacturer's +P+ might be ok and another maybe not.

3. Lindenwood

Oct 27, 2011
    From what I've read, you aren't going to break the gun, though I suppose there is a chance a case could rupture. However, I highly doubt they would design a load that would rupture a case when shot out of the single most common gun in their target market :p .
  4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    No, it isn't dangerous. If you can't fire it in a Glock, it can't be used in anything short of a submachinegun. The "unsupported barrel" whining usually refers to .40 S&W guns and even then it's 90% BS. I wnder how much is spread by the companies making aftermarket barrels - they aren't more accurate, longer lasting, or reliable, so they have to have some excuse to sell them.
  5. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

I shoot the RA9TA on a regular basis. I have a second generation G17 that has had hundreds if not thousands of rounds through it without any problems and is still factory stock.
  6. Radian

May 17, 2010
    I LOVE that stuff and run it when I can get it. It is OUTSTANDING self defense ammo and is safe to run in G26 up to G34 with no issues at all.

If you wanna see something cool try some at night from a G26, powder flash is impressive but not obliterating the front sight.
  7. highfructosecornsyrp

Feb 2, 2011
    I'm not going to look it up again, so take it with a grain of salt, but I read somewhere that +p+ was not reliable in a glock 19. It was in a 17, but not the 19. I cannot remember what the issue was, slide locking back or something.

Test your ammo, inspect your brass, if the brass looks nasty or you get erratic ejections with the ammo, don't use it. That's what I would do anyway.
  8. Gaucho

Gaucho Jungian

Jul 20, 2011
    Great Southwest
    Get a .357 sig. ;)
  9. Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    IMHO -

Better question is why do you feel you need a really hot load?

I bought a case of Federal +P+, I looked up the ballistic spec before I purchased them.

They were not that hot - 1170 FPS out of a 4" barrel.

IIRC the Ranger is more like 1250 - 1300 FPS

Standard load for a 124 is more like 1100-1150.

If the Federal would have been real hot I would have purchased something else.

The belief you need to have the highest power load is a myth. I have weak wrists and shoot a moderate power load better. I (generally:whistling:) hit where I aim - that is more important than getting an extra 50-100 FPS.

YMMV - but I doubt it will.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  10. At a Glock factory armorer class about 3 years ago, the instructor told us that not only was it okay to use +P+ ammo, they recommended it saying that the additional recoil helped insure proper functioning.
  11. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    The early Winchester 127 grain +P+ load was offered in plain brass or nickel plated cases. It was about 100 fps slower than the current production. I never saw any pressure signs with the old stuff. The new stuff is only available in nickel plated cases I believe and shows signs of overpressure in every pistol I've tried it. Not to the point of being dangerous or pistol damaging but it might be less reliable as the cases really bulge, so it is higher pressure for what pistols and cartridge are designed. The Federal 124 grain +P+ is slower but is as fast as 115 +P+ in my Glock 26. In longer barrels the 115 grain +P+ is faster but not in the Glock 26. The Federal +P+ loads show no overpressure signs. Speer 124 grain +P is almost as fast in the Glock 26. How much pressure is there when 9 mm is showing overpressure signs?
  12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    We use the Ranger 127gr +P+ and there are thousands of those rounds through hundreds of G17s and G26s and some G19s without issue. I would neither worry nor even think about an aftermarket barrel.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  13. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    I've been using the RA9TA +p+ load for years and it has NEVER showed any signs of pressure in any of the pistols I've shot it in. I carry it in my 19 everyday, everywhere and it has been flawless. Rest assured it is one of the top 9 loads on the market,period.
  14. This.

The RA9TA & Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p are probably the two loads most recommended for 9mm SD use.

If you're still uncomfortable shooting it however, please PM me and I'll take them off your hands :)
  15. Fish Slayer

Fish Slayer

Apr 3, 2009
    I believe a previous poster has it correct, there is no rating for +p+ ammo, it is an indication that it is higher pressure then a +p but there is no max range for the +p+ designation.
    Look at your manual, it will tell you what pressures your firearm is rated for. Look at the specs on you ammo. If the specs on the ammo is less then or equal to the specs for your firearm, you are safe to shoot it.
    Glocks are rated to shoot NATO ammo, which is higher pressures then +p. You will probably be OK, but I would recommend you take the time to look up the specs for yourself.
  16. bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    10mm will solve all your needs
  17. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    Years ago I shot more. I use to shoot a steady diet of +P+ ammo out of my G19.
    Never had one thought of doing it.
    I would shoot any of the +P, or +P+ ammo today. You get use to the jump of the hot ammo I think it makes you a better shot and handle the pistol better.
  18. DLL9mm

Feb 8, 2009
    Good ammo. My Glock has went threw approx 200 rounds of the Ranger +p+.
  19. I feel that +P+ ammo pushes a gun to the limit and I question its need. Regular +P is effective enough when needed. There's another thread of a 10mm kaboom with ammo loaded to the limit.
  20. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

When Glocks first hit the U.S. shores Glock reccomended that +P+ be used for proper functioning. Per 3 Glock reps I talked to at the '06 SHOT, Glocks can shoot ALL factory loaded rounds (including NATO and +P+).

My one and only carry load is Federal's 9BPLE. It clocks 1319fps out of my G19.