9mm Hornady Critical Defense to the leg

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by High Altitude, Mar 5, 2012.

1. #1 High Altitude, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Hornady Critical Duty 9mm 135Gn vs. semi green pine log General Glocking Sep 12, 2015
    Hornady Critical Duty 9mm Caliber Corner Jul 29, 2015
    Hornady Critical Defense (.40 S&W) Caliber Corner Jul 23, 2015
    Hornady Critical Duty Recall The Okie Corral May 28, 2015
    Hornady 90511 Critical Duty 357mag 135gr FTX 250rd Case Sponsor Showcase May 20, 2015

3. Teehee :D .

4. dkf

More of a reminder that the CD bullet is not great at penetrating. That bone completely ripped the bullet apart.

As far as the limp deal, they may not limp much or at all. Surgeons are very good at putting the human body back to together. It will be painful and uncomfortable throughout everyday life but more than likely its still very functional.
  5. That fragmented CD bullet is exactly an example of how a JHP should NOT perform.
  6. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Guess what folks: bullets pulled out of real human flesh, blood and bones rarely look picture-perfect like they do when they are pulled out of ballistic gel and other backyard BS ballistics "media".

7. I am guessing a bonded bullet would be better.

I think any service pistol bullet slamming into bone is going to deform with a good possibility of fragmenting.
    #6 High Altitude, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  8. Everybody ripping on the CD round needs to take a hard look at the strength of a femur.

The femur is the largest and toughest bone in the body. It's thick. Thighs are also juicy. lots of meat. The bullet shattered the femur, and likely damaged the femoral artery. Anything but a bonded round would fragment after hitting that spot IMO. Thats a hell of a wound.

This isn't a jug of water or Gel. Shooting a bone is not represented in any of the tests you see posted around this forum.
  9. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

You also need to keep in mind the bullet hit the bone during its weakest stage- fully expanded. It was basically a large frontal area of lead striking the bone, rather than a semi pointed, jacketed bullet. I think the bullet performed well.

But lets just say that a different bullet was used, and that the bullet stayed together, penetrated through the bone and exited the leg. How much more damage/hemmorage could this bullet do compared to the CD showed?

I think that the bullet shattering the bone, and fragmenting like it did produced much more damage than a bullet that would have stayed together and exited the leg.
  10. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

Those xrays convince me that Critical Defense ammo is what I will still carry in my 9mm.

I don't want ammo that will over penetrate and it did hit hard enough to break the femur.
  11. I use it in my 9mm Kurz
  12. That smoked that guy. Thank god it wasn't two rounds!!!
  13. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

Limp....maybe, maybe not? :dunno:
    Current pain.....through the roof! Ive heard that the femur is the most painful part of your body to break!
  14. A good JHP won't overpenetrate just because it holds together. A round that fragments like that won't achieve good penetration at all.
  15. Leg shots are extremely poor shot placement. But regardless, a bullet that had stayed together still would have broken the bone.

What if this shot had been to the chest and had hit a rib? It would have broken the rib but not penetrated enough to hit the heart or spine or anything else of importance.
    #14 cowboy1964, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  16. dkf

Its not that the bullet in question fragmented its that bullet in question completely disintegrated. I'm confident that several more mainstream LE ammo whether bonded or not would have fared better.
  17. RedNine

RedNine AutomatedSystem

Nasty. Critical Defense isn't even supposed to be very good ammo.
  18. Your missing the point. The sternum and ribs are far weaker than the femur, the largest and strongest bone in the body. Not to mention, the amount of muscle and fat above the bone in the leg would have caused this round to expand before hitting the femur, where as the ribs would have encountered a non expanded round.
  19. Oh wow,

that was a nasty break!
  20. Really if one shot could do that, think about what 8 would do!!! Who would only shoot once? I think it did a good job!!
  21. that is crazy. not easy to break that bone.