9mm guys, will you switch in a post-ban era?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by SoldMyHat, Dec 19, 2012.

1. My EDC carry will remain a Glock 26

My house pistol may change from a glock 17/19 to a bigger heavier gun in 45 or 10mm.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I changed from .40 to 9mm for EDC about 6 months ago. Since the 9 I carry is a Kahr, I don't see that changing any time soon.

3. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm think of: I'd like to get into competitive shooting in the next couple of years.

Posted from my car phone.

4. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

If the opportunity arises that a .45 and my budget permit, I'd try a .45.

I'd rather have 10 rounds of 9mm than, say, 7 rounds of .45. When all is said and done, and ballistics are minutely disected ad infinitum, I just feel that shot placement is >90% of the equation.

5. Glock 22 and 27 in .40, with a KelTec Sub 2000 that uses the G22 mags....40 should be available....223 is impossible to find. I just got 500 rounds last week. Getting 500 more this week...maybe a thousand....

6. this panic buying is hurting everyone. wish everyone would cool their jets. buy mags....they won't ban the ammo.

7. Because of the number of magazines still around after a ban if it happens you should be able to carry at least 12 rounds anyway. But a 45 is no better than a 9mm and they are all comparable in stopping abilities with the 357 being the best.

8. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor

I think it comes down to being able to hit your target...if you carry a 10 round mag in any caliber, and shoot to slide-lockback w/o hitting your opponent, it just really sucks being you that day. I also believe that a 10 round mag backed up by another (or 2) 10 round mags, still makes for formidable firepower...in any reasonable caliber. When we routinely carried revolvers, and many still do, we knew we had to make our shots count. I think we may have to return to that mentality...make all 10 count!

9. pisc1024

pisc1024 AASG

Soon we will be saying "ah for the good old days".

10. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Are you really that much of a defeatist?

Or are you here for the other side, convincing all of us that it is inevitable in an effort to keep us from fighting it?

#170 Warp, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  11. A new AWB will happen and there will be no grandfathering of anything. Everything on the news and tons of cable shows is anti-gun. If the NRA opens its mouth it gets slammed. It's not about being a defeatist it is the new reality. The masses are being pushed to the left, it doesn't help that several times a week some nut is killing folks on the news. The Dems have already stated they are closing the lope holes in the last AWB, like grandfathering and who says they are going to allow ten rounds. Have you heard any Republicans on the news standing up for are firearm rights they are much more concerned with keeping the rich taxes low. You could see a new AWB coming for some time I just didn't think it would be this bad. Nobody but the NRA is doing anything and they are the new great Satan, the only thing gun owners are doing is buying guns and magazines that may soon be illegal to own.

12. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bull****

13. I shoot .40, my primary having 14-round magazines. If there is an AWB - NOT a sure thing, don't go French on me and start waving the white flag before the fighting starts - my next gun would be a variant of the Sig Sauer P220 or the M&P .45. If I only get ten or less, I want each one to be a big fat sucker.

Lots of nice .357 Magnum revolvers too.

#173 LawScholar, Dec 26, 2012
  14. I will stick to 9mm, but i will carry 2 extra mags, instead of one.

15. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

A double tap of 115 grain 9mm equals one 230 grain of .45 so they wouldn't be loosing much to go to the .45 and just learn to make their shots count!

:tongueout::tongueout::tongueout:

:rofl:

:supergrin:

16. Yes unfortunately ...

17. If I was going to be limited to 10 rounds, I would get as much ft/lb energy as possible loaded into the gun. Probably would go for 10mm........ hmmm, maybe I'll switch to 10mm in any case!

18. GasTurbine

GasTurbine Porschey Power!

I normally carry my Ruger LC9 (7+1) or LCP (6+1) so Im under 10 anyway, and feel quite safe with that quantity. And since Im not in the market for any additional firearm, and I already have an abundant supply of "hi-caps" for my other pistols, a ban would have little affect on me, but if one were forced to take 10 rounds of either 9mm or 45acp, the fire power of the 45 would win out every time except for only two possible reasons;

1.Manageable recoil. If one were of smallish nature, and could not effectively get accurate/fast follow up shots because of said recoil.

2. Concealabillity. If your attire would limit the footprint size of your weapon.

19. Ditching my 9mm to a .45 ACP? No. That will make gun manufacturers happy. The 9mm is a powerhouse in itself, and I wouldn't worry about it. There are even people carrying single stack 1911s in 9mm and they wouldn't be affected if the ban happens. My favorite caliber for carry? Super .38 (on a commander-sized 1911).

BTW, bullet placement is still very important.

#179 isuzu, Dec 26, 2012
  20. BuckyP

Lifetime Member

Too bad the 9x23 didn't catch on. That was a REAL powerhouse. :nsb: