close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm guys, will you switch in a post-ban era?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by SoldMyHat, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Well when the BHO ban come, I will retire my G17 and start carrying my Springfield Armory M1911A1 pistol with nine round of 255gr LSWCs. Not much will stand up to those loads. A 255gr semiwadcutter going a mere 850 FPS.

2. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    True, but most people can't. My follow up shots are much faster with my 17 compared to my 21.

As far as larger terminal wounds go, most people, including dr's have a hard time differentiating the wound path of a 9 vs 40 vs 45. Multiple tests support this, there just isn't a noticeable difference.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

3. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    You got that right, brother. When the new AWB is enacted, I am going to retire my G17 and start carrying my Springfield Armory M1911A1 with nine rounds of .45 ACP 255gr SWC cartridges.

4. pisc1024

pisc1024 AASG

Oct 9, 2005
    This is true... The only real difference WAS barrier penetration; however that gap has largely been erased with modern ammo.

5. When I got my first Glock in 2001 and the Klinton ban was on, bigger was better in my mind since 10 was all you could have. I didn't know a hill of beans about HP bullets then. So, I went and got a G-30. Now I primarily range use and carry 9mm. with Speer 124gr. +P Gold Dot's. If the ban comes back, I'm sticking with 9mm. for controlability and the effectiveness of said Gold Dot's. I can live with ten round mags loaded with SGD's all day in 9mm.- However....if that dummy Biden and his merry band of know nothing's somehow manage to get HP's banned because they convince a majority of know nothing dunces that HP's are inhumane, then I'm back on the .45 ball because of the over penetration aspects of 9mm. FMJ. On the bright side though, if HP's get banned, I just wandered into a whole mess more of 9mm. range ammo.:upeyes:

6. Yeah, maybe I ought to hold on to that GI Expert after all.....:dunno:

7. Taking a week to formulate a response while they held their finger in the wind to see which way the wind was blowing.

8. kenndapp

kenndapp

May 20, 2012
    Delete.......poor choice of post

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  9. chief63

chief63

Dec 31, 2011
    I'd turn mine in but they were stolen

10. I'm not telling you on this thread, that's for sure.

11. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Nov 11, 2003
    Brevard County, FL
    The larger magazine capacity, for me, is a major selling point for using 9mm. Assuming there is a grandfather clause, it wouldn't affect me because I'm well invested in the 9mm platform and have plenty of mags. If I were a new shooter just getting started in a post-ban era, I would probably go with .45 acp. Hard to say without digging into it more, but it's an interesting question. I'd bet we would see a decline in 9mm post-ban.

12. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Hmmm 9mm is not high capacity guns. My bed room gun is a FN ps90. that is a high capacity gun. Guess how many round it holds????

I often carry a FN FiveseveN. guess how many rounds it carries. in the low capacity magazine and the high capacity magazine (30 rounds). I do understand there is a califorina magazine for the FN 5.7x28. I guess it could happen.

Rusty

13. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

May 27, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I like the two 9mm weapons I have, and I'll be adding a G17, G17L or G34 and G26 along with a subcompact single stack 9mm as well regardless of any impending ban. Those are the only 9mms on my list, but I like the caliber and will continue shooting and reloading it.

Posted from my car phone.

14. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

May 27, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Dupe post

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  15. Rupert

Rupert

Sep 28, 2011
    Coincidentally, my first 1911 is on the way as an Xmas gift to myself. I bet the G30 will be a popular choice if a new awb goes into action.

16. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    Sticking with my 15 and 20 round mags for the EDC G-20.
    Regardless of what they do.

Of course, if we shift focus from 7 page threads on GT, and ALL of us Emailed our congresscritters telling them they had damn well better NOT support such legislation, it would be a better use of our time.

17. +1 on emailing congress critters. We all need to start tomorrow and make that a Christmas present to yourself, and countrymen!

18. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

Jun 11, 2002
    New Mexico & Michigan
    I'll stick with 9mm regardless.

19. It would just give me a reason to buy yet another gun!

20. Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredj338 [​IMG]
    Living in Kommifornia, we have been stuck w/ 10+1 for some time. My XD45c is the same size as a G19, same round count out here. When, not if, we return to the AWB & 10rd mags, you'll see a significant drop in full size guns being sold. It happened last time. That was when the compct boom started. Why carry a G17 w/ 10+1, when you can carry a G26, etc. If you can shoot a larger caliber, round count will no longer be a deciding factor.
    IMO, start planning for it, the AWB will be a permanent law next year. I hate to say I told you, but for all those that just had to vote their conscious instead of Romney. PBO was just waiting for something like this to happen so they could capitalize on it & they will. So now we get a more severe gun control & a crappy Euro style economy. Thank a liberal or libertarian for this one.:steamed:

Double exactly - the low information voter (aka uninformed) are taking us all down the European sewer. It all starts with the liberals controlling the education of our children and now my grandchildren. It has taken 2 generations to get us here now the question is can the country recover?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012