close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm guys, will you switch in a post-ban era?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by SoldMyHat, Dec 19, 2012.

1. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

I was answering the question from jnc24. I guess I should have quoted him but I thought it was pretty obvious I was answering his question.

I would not "upgrade" because I don't want to carry around Glocks thicker and heavier G21 and G30.(if had no other choice but that size it would 10mm not .45) Not to mention the .45acp has negligible at the very best performance vs the other common service calibers. Its not like I don't have or could not get preban mags anyway. Plus I already own the other guns.

I don't know of any aftermarket limiters for Glock mags. Some guys have made their own to be legal for hunting purposes however.

If another AWB happens it depends how it is written as said before. The anti dbags are going to have an impossible time trying confiscate mags so you would probably end up with grandfathering.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #81 dkf, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I would bet it was more due to the adoption of shall issue CCW that states were adopting. If concealment isn't an issue, for most people, a G34 with a 10 round magazine is going to shoot / handle better than a G19 or G26 with a 10 round magazine.

3. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

No. Why? (Spare me the caliber, "power" & "stopping power" diatribes. ;) )

I favored my smaller capacity compact & subcompact pistols (6, 7, 8, 9 & 10-rd capacities) even during the last fed ban, and after CA enacted their own state law regarding high capacity feeding devices ... even with the peace officer's exemption in place.

I carried my 7, 8 & 10-rd 9mm's more often than my .40's & .45's back then. Nowadays I find myself carrying my 7 & 9-rd .40's a bit more often, but my 10-rd .45 not very often.

They all see range use for training, practice & quals, of course (as I still keep my hand in things as a firearms instructor & armorer) ... but the larger .45's don't see nearly as much carry usage as my 9's & .40's, due to them not being quite as slim or as small, overall, as the 9's & .40's. (My several 5-shot J's and my LCP see more carry time than my .45's, too.)

Don't get me wrong, as I carried higher capacity issued pistols over the years, on & off-duty. It's just that toward the end of my career I found myself carrying first an issued 8-rd full-size .45, and then either a compact 9-rd .40 or a 7-rd compact .45, and not feeling particularly under-equipped.

If I'd been given my druthers, however, I'd have been satisfied to have carried a previously issued 12-rd 9mm (6906), or even a 8-rd 9mm (3913).

So ... no, I don't envision "switching". No reason to do so.

Naturally, if I couldn't shoot the smaller pistols as well (or better) than the larger ones, I'd probably have chosen the larger ones and dealt with the size & weight issues. The magazines would have been what they were.

#83 fastbolt, Dec 21, 2012
  4. chief63

chief63
    Expand Collapse

No, my 9mm carries are single stack and have plenty 357 revolvers.

5. dougader

dougader
    Expand Collapse

From what I have been seeing, I believe Feinstein is going for a more restrictive, literal ban of semi-autos and +10 magazines, meaning mere possession is also a crime. If that's the case I may change guns but my deep cover, "summer" gun will still be 9mm. When I wear a coat I usually have a full-size 45, but then again, it's a 14 round G21sf... so I will probably be looking at a different 45 at that point. No sense in a double-stack frame for a 10-shot gun.

Heck, even my 9x23 Winchester is on a Para-Ord frame and holds 20 rounds. I guess I could mate the Caspian slide to a single stack 1911 frame and that would make for a nice 357 mag equivalent in a 1911.

Heck, isn't a G27 a 10-round affair? I guess that wouldn't such a bad summer gun. But I've been happy with the 9mm and 45 for long...

#85 dougader, Dec 21, 2012
  6. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40
    Expand Collapse
    .45 fanatic

I already carry a 9mm with a 7 round mag.No reason for me to switch.

7. clarkz71

clarkz71
    Expand Collapse

No, it's not, she said clearly it will NOT be retroactive.
    Meet the press last Sunday quote:

"It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation, and the possession. Not retroactively, but prospectively. It will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets," she said. "There will be a bill."

8. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

I don't care about no stinking clips and bullets - what worries me are restrictions on magazines and cartridges.

#88 SARDG, Dec 21, 2012
  9. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

9+1 with standard mags for both the G27 and G33.

Libtards think everyone is carrying an M1 Garand.:rofl:

And Feinstein can go screw herself.

#89 dkf, Dec 21, 2012
  10. ElectricMonk

ElectricMonk
    Expand Collapse

G26 with 10 round mags (I'm in CA). Strangely, no limit on number of spare mags.

11. clarkz71

clarkz71
    Expand Collapse

She means magazines when she says clips, and if you saw the whole
    interview I believe it's all banned items like last time.

The left calls ammo bullets, magazines clips and semi auto
    rifles machine guns. Nothing new.

Obama is a different story. Who knows what he will do.

12. JEEPX

JEEPX
    Expand Collapse

No, absolutely no switch.

13. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

SARDG knows what the libs mean. I think she is just tired of hearing the same wrong descriptions over the last week, as am I.

Calling a magazine a "clip" is like calling a revolver a pistol.

#93 dkf, Dec 21, 2012
  14. SoldMyHat

SoldMyHat
    Expand Collapse

As an aside, I went to the lgs today and put down the deposit to order me a 17gen4.

:supergrin:

Figured I better get it while I for sure can. Hopefully I can sneek a three set of spare mags while the wife ain't looking.

15. azbuckeye

azbuckeye
    Expand Collapse

No...I'd stick with 9mm and my .357 Ruger SP-101 for summer carry

16. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

Only would switch in one circumstance: JHP was banned.

If I could not have JHP then I would be going with a .45.

Otherwise I will keep my 9mms.

17. pisc1024

pisc1024
    Expand Collapse
    AASG

How could you have a ban on possession, and it NOT be retroactive?

18. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

California did it that way. Couldn't buy new ones when the law took effect, but could keep the ones you already owned.

Dunno about the other 5 states that have similar restrictions on large capacity magazines.

#98 fastbolt, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  19. pisc1024

pisc1024
    Expand Collapse
    AASG

So they are illegal to POSSESS in California? Then that would lead me to believe that if a cop stopped you on a highway with an "assault rifle" in your car, you’re going to jail. The charge would be possession of an assault rifle. Therefore it is not "grandfathered" in. I might be missing something, but that was the quote.

20. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

SO you want to believe a self serving liberal? Really? Trust me, they will go for as much as they can get this time. They have emotion on their side & that turns a lot of female voters heads.:upeyes: