Glock Talk banner

9mm guys, will you switch in a post-ban era?

41K views 298 replies 130 participants last post by  kenndapp 
#1 ·
So, a majority of the debate in 9mm vs 45acp comes to capacity vs power. I know there are other arguments, but that's what I hear the most. So my question is, if a 10 round magazine limit is instated, will you switch to 40sw or 45acp or stay with 9mm in handguns that can hold 10 in either caliber?

I am kind of leaning that, if I can only have 10, I might as well have the biggest 10 I can.

#27 ·
If there is a problem getting ammo the great thing about .45 acp JHP or ball doesn't matter to me. With .380, 9MM or .40 its JHP for self defense. If there is an ammo shortage or regulation it will cut down on my range time. Thanks to Glock forum and its members two years ago I followed advice here and started to stock pile ammo and mags.

#29 ·
Mag limits do not change the fact that the ballistics are minimal at best between major service calibers using modern defensive ammo. There will be no need to switch. That said, if hollowpoint ammo becomes scarce or restricted, then things may change and larger calibers definitely get the nod.

#32 ·
I'm an (old) girl. Women's fashions don't allow for huge handguns like Glocks, plus I live in FL where we wear less than many most of the year. My EDC is a Kahr PM-9 (6+1). Face it... all you mall ninjas are more inclined to go your entire life without EVER needing to pull your gun in self, or other's defense and your carry piece will never get a practical workout in your lifetimes. For this reason I am prepared, but not uncomfortably prepared, and having an EDC that I will carry under all conditions is more important to me than one I would leave at home because it was too big or otherwise inconvenient on any given day.

No, no changes expected for me whatsoever. BTW, today, Florida went over 1 million CWPs issued statewide - 1,000,645.

#36 ·
Well for a couple of months now, despite having concealable 13+rd 9mms, that are concealable, several sizes of .45 acp and .40 S&W, when I have carried an auto it's been either a S&W 3913 or 908 soo.... of course I regularly carry a 5 shot .44 special or 6 shot .357 loaded with +p .38s.

I don't expect one stop shots from any handgun I just pick my gunfights to match the gun I'm carrying

:whistling:

#38 ·
Heck anyone could just take apart the mag and when needed they would just put it back together and not care for the law if something were to happen. You think if a criminal is gonna do something bad their gonna stop and grab a 10 rounder because they respect that law and not the murder laws.

If a bad guy dosent care about murder/robbery/assault laws, why they hell would they care about a hi cap mag ban.

:brickwall:

:50cal:
Oh I agree. Just trying to look at this from a law abiding citizen viewpoint of how potential new laws would change our caliber of choice.

Also, I am sure +2 baseplates will not be grandfathered in. Which sucks.

#40 ·
Mag limits do not change the fact that the ballistics are minimal at best between major service calibers using modern defensive ammo. There will be no need to switch. That said, if hollowpoint ammo becomes scarce or restricted, then things may change and larger calibers definitely get the nod.
You can bet that AWBII will include an attempt to ban hollow points. Why, the military can't even use those bullets which are designed only for one purpose: to kill people deader. Why would we want those loose on the streets? :whistling:

#41 · (Edited)
I had a conversation with a friend today who was planning on buying a new Glock and he asked my opinion.

I told him to buy a Glock 30SF because the mags are already 10 round and he would probably always be able to buy them post AWB unless he planned on buying a crap load of 15/17rd "standard" mags but even if he did who knows how long the ban would last and could he afford to buy enough mags to last 20+yrs or even find that many at this point.

If your in his same situation this is a serious question to consider I'm glad the OP brought it up.

Also I believe it is possible this will calm down and nothing will come of it but that way of thinking is that these type of shootings will not happen again in the near future and if it does their could be some sort of EO or rush to ban, and as terrible as the idea sounds I think their will be more, I really really hope not though it is a tragedy and depressed me I have a 6 year old in about the same grade as these poor children.

Also when I say more I don't necessarily mean a mass shooting because every little bit of gun violence is going to be exploited 10 fold by the liberal media and their self serving agenda trying to look like they know something or they care so much about the poor people afflicted by these tragedies it makes me sick.

#43 ·
Hmmm... where was this formidable voting block last month??
Last month, these same pol-lie-ticians were insistent that there were no need for new gun laws. I've seen many libs on this forum criticize anyone that even suggested Obama would support an AWB. :upeyes:

#45 ·
Having lived through the '94 AWB, I have acquired several lifetimes worth of 17 round G17 magazines and will be sticking with the 9mm for the foreseeable future regardless of what the jerks in DC do to us.
SUre, until you get caught on the street with them. Depending on how they write such crap laws, possesion could be a crime. So at least, confiscated mag, fine & at worst, some jail time. Yeah, I'll just caryy the old 1911.:whistling:

#46 · (Edited)
Heck anyone could just take apart the mag and when needed they would just put it back together and not care for the law if something were to happen. You think if a criminal is gonna do something bad their gonna stop and grab a 10 rounder because they respect that law and not the murder laws.

If a bad guy dosent care about murder/robbery/assault laws, why they hell would they care about a hi cap mag ban.

:brickwall:

:50cal:
That is the rub w/ any gun law, it only affects the law abiding. Handguns are banned in Chicago, doesn't stop the 100s of handgun shootings each month by criminals.:dunno: But we all know that. It's the boobs in Washington, people that know nothing about guns, that are trying to craft laws to control us. The really sick thing, they use the bodies of 6yr olds to push their agenda. That alone should make anyone turn in their Dem union card. Pathetic really, but those are the people running things. If you helped by not voting or voting libertarian last election, you should be ashamed.

#47 ·
Well for a couple of months now, despite having concealable 13+rd 9mms, that are concealable, several sizes of .45 acp and .40 S&W, when I have carried an auto it's been either a S&W 3913 or 908 soo.... of course I regularly carry a 5 shot .44 special or 6 shot .357 loaded with +p .38s.

I don't expect one stop shots from any handgun I just pick my gunfights to match the gun I'm carrying

:whistling:
i just have to ask, how does one pick their gunfight? I am pretty sure they pick you. Reallity, a mag ban doesn't bother me, I often carry a 1911PD, spare mag, pretty sure that gets me out of 99% of things that may happen on the street. If I need more than 16rds, I am doing something really stupid. CCW is a fight to get away, not a license to go looking for trouble.
It just pisses me off that the govt is going to stick their nose in & chip away until they get a total ban. We all know limiting mag cap does nothing. So when the violence continues, they'll say "it's still a gun problem & we just need to limit everyone to single shots", or some such BS. So best to never let them have concesion on any gun issue. There are no bad guns, only bad people. Bad people are what the 2A was designed to allow us to protect ourselves form. Of course, liberals aren't much on the Constitution, unless it benefits them.

#51 ·
SUre, until you get caught on the street with them. Depending on how they write such crap laws, possesion could be a crime.
The '94AWB "grand-fathered" the possession of magazines with greater than 10 rounds capacity and if we see reinstatement (which I doubt since Heller says that banning an entire class of guns or those in common usage is unconstitutional) it'll likely be included again.

So at least, confiscated mag, fine & at worst, some jail time. Yeah, I'll just caryy the old 1911.:whistling:
Nope, "at least" is "grand-fathered" possession (the most likely option) of those mags already in our possession- no jail time. Until it becomes reality, I ain't gonna worry about it. Enjoy your 1911.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.