Glock Talk banner

9mm guys, will you switch in a post-ban era?

41K views 298 replies 130 participants last post by  kenndapp 
#1 ·
So, a majority of the debate in 9mm vs 45acp comes to capacity vs power. I know there are other arguments, but that's what I hear the most. So my question is, if a 10 round magazine limit is instated, will you switch to 40sw or 45acp or stay with 9mm in handguns that can hold 10 in either caliber?

I am kind of leaning that, if I can only have 10, I might as well have the biggest 10 I can.

#3 · (Edited)
You make a good question to ponder. I dont think many would change over but some would consider/look at it. Plus are they gonna ban new sales or completely restrict 10+ mags. Heck some companies dont even make 10 rounders but may have to soon. Everyone is anxious about this possible AWB.

In the last ban people were able to keep their "hi-caps" if they were bought before the ban.

:50cal:

#4 ·
I will have plenty of hi-cap mags so it's really not going to be a factor. Now if I were just starting out and was limited to 10 I would probably go with .45 in a full size gun, but the other calibers would still have a place in subcompacts.

#7 ·
You make a good question to ponder. I dont think many would change over but some would consider/look at it. Plus are they gonna ban new sales or completely restrict 10+ mags. Heck some companies dont even make 10 rounders but may have to soon. Everyone is anxious about this possible AWB.

In the last ban people were able to keep their "hi-caps" if they were bought before the ban.

Probably grandfather in stuff, but with a no-sale and no-will clause. And if you shoot em, mags wear out, break, start to malfunction. I am sure repair parts will be illegal as well.

#13 · (Edited)
Living in Kommifornia, we have been stuck w/ 10+1 for some time. My XD45c is the same size as a G19, same round count out here. When, not if, we return to the AWB & 10rd mags, you'll see a significant drop in full size guns being sold. It happened last time. That was when the compct boom started. Why carry a G17 w/ 10+1, when you can carry a G26, etc. If you can shoot a larger caliber, round count will no longer be a deciding factor.
IMO, start planning for it, the AWB will be a permanent law next year. I hate to say I told you, but for all those that just had to vote their conscious instead of Romney. PBO was just waiting for something like this to happen so they could capitalize on it & they will. So now we get a more severe gun control & a crappy Euro style economy. Thank a liberal or libertarian for this one.:steamed:

#15 ·
Living in Kommifornia, we have been stuck w/ 10+1 for some time. My XD45c is the same size as a G19, same round count out here. When, not if, we return to the AWB & 10rd mags, you'll see a significant drop in full size guns being sold. It happened last time. That was when the compct boom started. Why carry a G17 w/ 10+1, when you can carry a G26, etc. If you can shoot a larger caliber, round count will no longer be a deciding factor.
IMO, start planning for it, the AWB will be a permanent law next year. I hate to say I told you, but for all those that just had to vote their conscious instead of Romney. PBO was just waiting for something like this to happen so they could capitalize on it & they will. So now we get a more severe gun control & a crappy Euro style economy. Thank a liberal or libertarian for this one.:steamed:
Exactly!!! :steamed:

#22 ·
Having lived through the '94 AWB, I have acquired several lifetimes worth of 17 round G17 magazines and will be sticking with the 9mm for the foreseeable future regardless of what the jerks in DC do to us.
I like your style. Unfortunately I am new to handgunning so I have not been as fortunate to stock up normal capacity magazines.

#23 ·
Yes, indeed. When the new AWB gets passed, my 32-ounce G17 will get replaced by a 48-ounce Springfield Armory M1911A1 .45 pistol with nine rounds of +p 255gr LSWC at 860 FPS. I'll have to wait another ten-years for the AWBII to expire.
I'm betting there will be no sunset in AWB 2.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#24 ·
Living in Kommifornia, we have been stuck w/ 10+1 for some time. .:steamed:
Lived there for a long time and still visit often so I still have my 10 rounders. Hopefully they do some kinda of grandfather in plan if this AWB passes but you never know especially since many more have hi caps now then when the first ban was out plus everyone going out to buy them may be for not. Who knows, Im sure there will be also a trial and error with this new law and I dont know if they know the large scope of enforcing it.

#25 · (Edited)
Heck anyone could just take apart the mag and when needed they would just put it back together and not care for the law if something were to happen. You think if a criminal is gonna do something bad their gonna stop and grab a 10 rounder because they respect that law and not the murder laws.

If a bad guy dosent care about murder/robbery/assault laws, why they hell would they care about a hi cap mag ban.

:brickwall:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.