close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9MM:FP or RN

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Wash-ar15, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15
    Expand Collapse

I am planning on ordering a large amount of 9mm plated bullets from one of the large vendors. I'm looking to load them up and store them away for the future.
    These will be full power loads.

looking at something in the 122-124gr range. I see FP and RN offered.

If you were doing as i have described,would you choose a FP or a RN?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. proraptor

proraptor
    Expand Collapse

Ive used both with no problems....But if I had to choose Id go with the RN

3. sjones

sjones
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I'd go with the FP'S,I just loaded 200 of them and ordered 200 more.With full power I believe they will give you a little more stopping power on animals.They will kill hogs,dogs,other medium size animals with no problem. sj

4. BBJones

BBJones
    Expand Collapse

Huh? I doubt there would be much of a difference in performance.

5. srd

srd
    Expand Collapse

I would order a small amount of each first and try them in your gun and see which feeds better. Some prefer round over flat point.

6. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

Plated and Full power don't go well together. Check your vendor load info. If they don't have any check out Rainier or Berry's. Load plated at low to mid levels.

7. argy1182

argy1182
    Expand Collapse

I've also heard plated doesn't go well with hotter loads. I shoot plated bullets from Powerbond with medium loads and haven't had an issue.

8. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the input. I was gonna get some precision delta ones,but looking at another post,it seems that i can get montana gold for just a little more.

9. skyugo

skyugo
    Expand Collapse

flat points make nice clean holes in targets. feeds my OCD nicely :supergrin:
    i like berry's 124 grain flat point hollow base bullets. i've loaded em fairly hot in my G19 with no issues. i think they tell you to keep em under 1200 FPS. getting a 124 grain bullet over 1200 in 9mm is a pretty darn hot load. i usually go .2 grains or so under max, and about .010 over minimum OAL. wish i had chrono numbers.

glocks seem to have no problem wiht flat point bullets, they're very similar in profile to hollowpoints, so they should work.

if this is SHTF ammo, why not go hollowpoint?

10. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15
    Expand Collapse

Not really for SHTF as I already got a case of that stuff. been experimenting for years with all different bullets and loads and am getting tired of it.

I want to get 3-5k and find a good load and then load them up in one fell swoop.

#10 Wash-ar15, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  11. D. Manley

D. Manley
    Expand Collapse

Montana Gold ain't plated, they're true jacketed bullets...just brass rather than copper.

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

I would just get 124gr RN. Then you know they will work in anything.

13. kcbrown

kcbrown
    Expand Collapse

In my experience, I get better accuracy out of 9mm hollow point bullets than round nose. I haven't tried any flat point bullets in 9mm (I shoot strictly jacketed bullets, and neither Montana Gold nor Zero make such a bullet in 124 grains). In .40 S&W I see little difference between flat points and hollow points in terms of accuracy.

Additionally, the holes punched by flat points or hollow points are going to be better defined than those punched by round nose.

Based on the above, I'd go with JHP first or, if that's not viable, flat point. The price difference between FMJ and JHP from Montana Gold is almost negligible, so you may as well make your selection based on your needs instead of cost.

14. chris in va

chris in va
    Expand Collapse

For that kind of money you could buy a basic casting setup and stockpile thousands.

15. DanaT

DanaT
    Expand Collapse
    Pharaoh

I like RN bullets better. The issue with FP, is that I have found that they generally must be loaded shorter which can increase pressures.

-Dana