9mm ammo score....or not really?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by GlockDetroit, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Browsing my local arms list, found a posting for 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo for $160.
    I almost crapped myself. Called the guy and he told me it was israeli military surplus ammo. I thought hey 9mm is 9mm right?
    Did a little research on the stuff decided I would be alright and picked it up.
    16 cents a round for this ammo.....have any of you guys heard of this type of 9mm before?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    I REALLY enjoy this ammo!!! General Glocking Yesterday at 3:03 PM
    Question about ammo pressures General Firearms Forum Tuesday at 11:21 PM
    Perfecta .223 ammo now $14.95 at Walmart. The Okie Corral Tuesday at 4:01 PM
    Year Supply of Ammo? General Firearms Forum Monday at 11:36 PM
    Ammo sales Caliber Corner Monday at 11:00 AM

3. Sgt.K

Sgt.K They Just Work!

Headstamps all the same? What is the headstamp? Pics? Sounds like a great deal.

4. Yep, knew a guy who bought some of this garbage a few years back and I can still here him cussing as his gun jammed repeatedly. The ammo looked like battlefield pickup stuff................................from the 1967 War.

Perhaps your luck will be better. :whistling:
  5. I looked through all the rounds, most that I looked at were stamped IMI years ranging from 95-01. Out of the 1000 about 50 had blemished casings. Rest looked good. Guess its made for a 9mm SMG. I'm gonna try some out on my 19 when I get off work, i heard the primers on this stuff are tougher and its hotter ammo. worst case my brother in law has a 9mm Uzi he said eats this ammo easily he would trade me even up for some factory federal and winchester 9mm he bought from last year hes got about 1200 rounds.
    So either way I think I'm good.
  6. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!!
    Platinum Member Gold Member

I find it hard to believe the Israelis have any surplus ammo with all they've got goin' on over there!!! Seems they'd have use for every last round!!! :wow:
  7. Back in the 80's and early 90's the U.S. was awash in it and the price was right. If your gun would set off the SMG spec. primers it was very accurate. Never had one fail to ignite in my Browning Hi Power. SJ 40
    #6 SJ 40, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  8. I had never even heard of this ammo until now
  9. UPDATE:
    Fired 200 rounds today, out of which I had 1 dud and 10 that my striker didn't hit hard enough to set off. I ordered a stronger striker spring for 7 bucks shipped that should solve that issue.
    IMHO it was a good deal money very well spent. They fired good, no major problems or blow ups (thank god) and they all hit on target accurately.
    I'm happy with the purchase
  10. kussor

the other 10 that didn't fire are duds, too, homeboy. :)
  11. Naw because there were two or three that went "click" the first time and went "bang" when I reloaded them back in the mag a second time.
    Just really tough primers I'm betting. We will see when I get the added power spring.
  12. kussor

I would not give such rds the chance to be a 'hangfire' and detonate some place besides my chamber.
  13. kussor

trading them for better ammo sounds like much the better deal.
  14. JohnnyReb

Lifetime Member

Be warned, this is likely subgun ammo, at higher pressures then your average 9mm load. That also explains the harder primers.
  15. I know, I could tell shooting them but they shouldn't be any stronger than 147 gr +p+ which is what a lot of people use shooting defensive rounds
    So far I haven't had any issues
  16. We ran tons of it in some heavy hammer-fired guns, like the Star 28 and first gen Rugers back "in the day" . Never liked to put much through an older Highpower because it is definitely +P and that isn't good for the HPs of old.
    #15 countrygun, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  17. Get into reloading. :tongueout:
  18. kussor

and get primers WHERE? even the dies and presses are backordered/out of stock. People have gone completely crazy.