close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm 147 gr. +P+ Ammo is it safe for AR15 9mm

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by smokin762, Jan 17, 2010.

1. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

I went to the Gun Show recently and I seen some ammo that I was interested in and it was at a good price. I was wanting to know, if any one knows if it safe to shoot Israeli 147 grain +P+ 9mm ammunition in my Rock River Arms 9mm AR15. If it makes any difference, the box was marked “Not for Handguns, Machine Gun use only”.

I would think it would be less pressure than 5.56 ammo but I just wanted to check if anybody has any experience with it first. :dunno:

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Whazoo

Whazoo
    Expand Collapse

It works just fine - shoot it. BTW it's a pistol round, therefore it has a whole lot less pressure than the 5.56 - but if I follow your logic here... the actions on these two AR's are like comparing apples and oranges - the 9mm is a blowback, designed for low pressure pistol rounds. The 5.56 uses a locked breech that momentarily delays the bolt's rearward motion until pressures drop to a safe level. Therefore if you were to fire a rifle level pressured round in the staple-gun..., you'd likely need staples afterwards to help hold your scalp/face together...:faint:

3. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

I know the 9mm AR is a blowback system and it is not the same as a DI gas system in my AR15 but I just was not sure about the +P+ round. I was thinking it should run fine but I was not sure if it would cause any damage to the upper receiver.

I have heard it will run very dirty but at the price, I have seen it for, I am more than willing to clean it after each trip to the range.

I have seen some ammo similar on Gun Broker and I asked the Seller if it would be okay to run it through my 9mm AR and he said he has used it in a Browning High Power and it did not hurt it. He said it did have a huge flame come out the barrel though. If I get it, I will just use it in my AR.:dunno:

4. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside
    Expand Collapse
    owl protector

I have an AR with a carbon fiber 9mm pistol upper reciever that I shoot .223 out of. Think its gonna blow?

5. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your answer. :upeyes:

6. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside
    Expand Collapse
    owl protector

i was being serious.

7. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

I was concerned because it stated on the box it was not for handguns and I am not sure if it would do anything to my AR.

I know the 9mm is a pistol cartridge and it would have less pressure than a .223 round.

I am looking for somebody that has had experience using the +P+ ammo in their AR. A simple answer of yes it is ok but it runs dirty and you might want to watch out for wear on this or that would be appreciated.

If somebody has had problems with it than I would like to hear about it. This way I can decide if it is cost effective to buy it. :faint:

8. JDG

JDG
    Expand Collapse

If in doubt, call Rock River:cool:

The chamber is pretty stout, dont think you'll have any issues. The blowback design runs filthy anyways, not gonnna be any dirtier.

9. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

Don't shoot it unless you have a modified longer buffer if not you will break your bolt stop. Ask me how I know?
    Pat

10. pgg00

pgg00
    Expand Collapse

How do you know? :whistling: :supergrin:

11. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

When I first got my RRA I fired a few hundred rounds of +p+ 127 grain ammo and it broke my bolt stop. I since got a Slash buffer for it and have not had a problem after that.
    Pat

12. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

Thank you sir. This is the kind of answer’s I was looking for.

I did a search on the internet for the Slash Buffer but I did not come up with anything. Could you point me in the right direction for one? Thank you.

Oh, I wanted to add I have the tel stock on my RRA. Can I still use this type of buffer since it is longer?

#12 smokin762, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  13. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

I would call RRA but I am sure they would say no because of legal liability issues, even if it were perfectly fine. I can understand that.

I kind of figured the Chamber and the Receiver could handle the +P+ pistol ammo but, I was just not sure if it would create any unwanted problems like having parts break. My thought on high-pressure pistol ammo is I don’t want to mess up a perfectly good firearm because I found some cheap ammo.

Now that I have been told to replace the Buffer and everything will be fine, I am jumping on the +P+ ammo.

Will it shoot any better? Will it have better self-defensive super powers? I don’t know but it is at a good price and it will be nice for practice ammo.:supergrin:

14. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15carbine.html

15. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, this what I need to know. I will order one next payday.

I hate to keep bothering you but, when you shoot regular ammo out of it do you have to change back to the original buffer or is this new buffer good to go with all ammo. Thanks.

16. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

The main thing is don't shoot mags that lock the bolt back as this is what puts the most stress on the bolt stop.
    Pat

17. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

This will not be a problem for me then. I use Pro Mag mags. They are the best that I could come up with, without breaking the bank.

When I first bought the rifle I bought three converted Uzi mags from RRA and three from Shurluk. I had problems with all but one mag. Two of them the followers would stick and the last five rounds would not come up far enough for the bolt to pick it up. I had two that I could not load more than 10 rounds into it because the follower was binding up. The final straw for me was the one mag was a hit and a miss. I sent them all back and bought the cheap mags.:dunno:

So far they have worked fine but the the mags don't have a bolt hold open on them.

18. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

Funny the Pro mags I had locked the bolt back.
    Pat

19. JDG

JDG
    Expand Collapse

I too broke a mag catch once. A spacer behind the buffer spring worked, that only let the bolt clear the catch by a few thousands, maybe .020".

I also have resorted back to modded Uzi mags, found them 100% reliable shooting 115gr HPs.

Good luck!!

20. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

I bought 10 Pro Mag magazines at the Gun Show three years ago. Could there be a chance they are factory 2nds or 1st gen. magazines?

I just tried one. The bolt didn't stay back. Now I am wondering if I already did something to it. So far I have been only using Seller & Bellot and WWB ammo. I'll have to take it apart to check it out this weekend. Crap! :faint: