close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9BPE Bullet Looks Strange

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ColCol, Oct 24, 2010.

1. ColCol

ColCol
    Expand Collapse

Having heard so much about Federal's 9BPE over the years, I finally decided to order a box and see how they performed. I noticed the bullet used looked sort of strange compared to others having the jacket protruding a bit past the lead core and not folded down. Is this the norm for this particular bullet? Actually the box reads "9BPLE" 115 gr +P+ Hi-Shok.

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 ColCol, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. Kalmah

Kalmah
    Expand Collapse
    Supreme Member

I have several boxes of 9BPLE and that's how mine look.

3. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy
    Expand Collapse
    Code-7A KUZ769

My ammo looks exactly the same too. Nothing to worry about.

4. ColCol

ColCol
    Expand Collapse

I guess I had expected it to look more like this...the 9BP bullet from about 15 years ago.

[​IMG]

5. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15
    Expand Collapse

9bp works in guns that choke on other hp shapes. mine looks the same.

6. 2005ghostrider

2005ghostrider
    Expand Collapse

Where can the +p+ version of this be found in stock online? I see some but none of it says +p+ in the description.

7. BOGE

BOGE
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Federal tweaked the bullet.

8. ColCol

ColCol
    Expand Collapse

#8 ColCol, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

kylesgunshop is the only place I can find it in stock.

10. FLSlim

FLSlim
    Expand Collapse

Last time I ordered Fed +p+ (LE), they were from Cheaper than Dirt. They seem to be hit and miss on what they carry, but worth checking if you are "in the hunt" fir that round.

11. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker
    Expand Collapse

Its a good example of what a big company like ATK can do with a bullet when they want it to perform at a certain velocity. They can adjust the depth of a hollow point or make adjustments to the jacket or core hardness to suit their needs. Several posters have made comments over the years voicing their concerns when a bullets velocity is driven past the bullets design. Using Hornady as an example they adjust the depth of their XTP's hollow point depending on the load so that it expands to 1.5 X in their testing. If you were to take their 180 grain XTP that they load in 10mm at 1180 and run it to say 1400 expansion and penetration will of course change from the original design intent.

12. ColCol

ColCol
    Expand Collapse

The "new" 9BPLE bullet still looks like some step was left out in the manufacturing process. It may work fine but, it looks odd to me...almost like someone forgot to crimp the jacket over and trim.

13. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Guy

Im not expert, but just from looking at the nose it seems they may have done that to sharpen the point up just a little, possibly to improve the feeding nature of the cartridges in HP picky weapons.

Not only that, but it seems with the extra length of unsupported jacket, it may promote faster, more aggressive expansion.

I have personally never been a fan of the light and fast crowd, but I would carry these with no hesitation. Assuming I ran out of 147 and 124/127. :supergrin:

14. GunsForSale.com

GunsForSale.com
    Expand Collapse

Federal has changed the BP/BPLE bullets several times over the years. It could be for performance reasons, or just for production cost reasons. I have several boxes of the stuff from different lots over the years. Each bullet looks slightly different.

I don't know which would perform 'best,' but all chrony over 1200 fps out of my G19. At the end of the day, 99% of it comes down to bullet placement anyway.

The most recent case I bought came in white 'generic' boxes (sort of like government cheese?) and have the same bullets that you photographed. They feed 100% in my Glock 19, S&W M&P9, and Sig 226.

-Richard

15. ColCol

ColCol
    Expand Collapse

I just couldn't believe Federal would have a bullet such as this in their lineup for the 9BPELE load so, I wrote them. It seems my feelings about this was correct. The told me that was not correct in the way it looked. I had sent them a photo of a 9BP round and of the 9BPLE that I recently got and apparently something's not right with this ammo. they also mentioned in a follow up email to...
    "Can you attach photos again as we can cross reference this bullet please."

They must have lost the photos somehow I sent them so, I resent them. It'll be interesting to see their next reply.

16. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Guy

Very interesting. However it is fairly odd that numerous people report having the same looking bullet through various lots from likely different years of production. And being a Law Enforcement round I would expect them to have better quality control than that.

17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

I just bought some 9BPLE. The bullets look like that pic.

18. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy
    Expand Collapse
    Code-7A KUZ769

My 9BPLE is nearly 7+ years old and it has the same bullet. The ammo came in the Fed "Classic" box. These bullets are not "new" per se unless you consider 7 years as being "new".

19. ColCol

ColCol
    Expand Collapse

Here's the latest scoop from federal on this bullet. Originally they told me when they viewed the picture I sent them that it(the 9BPLE bullet) didn't look right and should have a more"rounded" hollow point. that was an email dated 11/5/10. I wote back and asked them "ok, so what do we do not that I've bought four boxes?

Several days ago they wrote me again...
    We forwarded the bullet to our engineering team. They state this is indeed the HST bullet and they have not changed the nose of the round. The HST bullet nose is not folded over the nose for reliable expansion. The Hi-shok bullet is not the same as the HST. We apologize for all the confusion.

The box says "Hi-Shok" not HST. I don't think I'll get to the bottom of this so, I'll just be a happy camper and just shoot them.I haven't seen an HST bullet that looked like that and don't think it's an HST bullet as they indicated.

#19 ColCol, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  20. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

I'd love to have some 115-grain HST +P+ rounds. Of all the bullets independently tested by Glock Talk members the HST seems to me the hands-down leader in the reliable expansion category.

If the 9BPLE is the all-time standard for hyper-velocity, light 9mm rounds I can only imagine how effective the HST would be in the same loading.

#20 unit1069, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010