Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

99 Dodge Minivan auto trans converter locking...

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by G30Big, Nov 19, 2007.

1. G30Big

Jul 29, 2007
    NE Florida
    I was driving along tonight and felt kind of a small shudder when the van upshifted. I was going 45mph and wasn't sure what had happenned. I would find out soon. As I approached a light the car did not coast... my torque converter was locked-up.

I drove a few more miles to my destination and could not get the car to start when time to head home. I would slip it into "D" or "R" and the van would stall. I finally got it going forward and had to drive in first with flashers to get home (10 miles through neighborhoods).

Symptoms: torque converter seems locked up. When I put it in gear at a stop the engine stalls. It happens for forward and reverse. When I slow down the engine starts to buck like a stick shift at 15 miles per hour in high gear.

Other info: 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L engine, auto trans, 190k miles, everything works well and no leaks or noises (until tonight).

How do I fix this? My crummy manual mentions a torque converter lockup soleniod.

thanks in advance...
  2. The only cause I have seen for what you describe is the torque converter mechanically failed. Unfortunately, the fix is a new torque converter.