close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

95gr. or 115gr. CORBON DPX 9mm?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by AggiePhil, Jun 7, 2010.

1. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nov 21, 2004
    Texas
    Looking at AmmunitionToGo's website, there are two flavors of Cor-Bon DPX in 9mm: a 95gr. version and a 115gr. version. Which would be best? These will be carried in a GLOCK 19.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    The version that isn't branded Corbon.. :)

I'd probably go w/ the 115gr, just cuz I prefer weight.

IGF

3. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Feb 8, 2005
    Homer Alaska
    I would go with the 115 grain. The Barnes bullet in the DPX is very well thought of. I like the extra penetration of the heavier bullet. You never know when you will need it. If you had to save someone or yourself from a tough animal like a pit bull I think you would be very happy that you went with the 115 grain over the 95. Those X bullets will keep 100% of their weight even when hitting heavy bone.

4. TeamCorbon

TeamCorbon

Dec 20, 2002
    Western PA
    From the horses mouth instead of the internet commandos!

The 95 gr standard pressure DPX load in 9mm was designed for use in the smallest compact 9mm pistol. It actually mimics the performance of the 115 gr +P load fired from a full sized gun when the 95 gr load is fired from a compact 9mm. If you shoot the 115 gr +P 9mm DPX load from a gun with a 4-4.5" barrel into ballistic gelatin, it would give you 15-16" penetration with a recovered diameter of @ .60" The same results would be obtained using the 95 gr load in a 9mm pistol with a 3" barrel.

If you use the 95 gr DPX load in a full sized gun, it would give deeper penetration ( probably 19-20" in ballistic gelatin).

5. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nov 21, 2004
    Texas
    So by that logic, I should go with the 95gr.

6. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Many Internet Commandos don´t realize that DPX is solid copper and does not break up & they ALWAYS open up. There is no better self defense ¨go to¨ ammo available IMO. Weight is of no great concern here due to the penetration factor.

7. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Feb 8, 2005
    Homer Alaska
    From the information that Mike at CB gave I would think that the standard 95 grain CB DPX would be the best choice for a sub compact 9mm. If it was me I would still go with the heavier 115 grain +P for your Glock 19. CB has a real winner with their DPX line. I would trust them 100% in the field.

8. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Heavier the better. No way I would trust the 95 grain version. Frankly I am no Corbon fan.
    Pat

9. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nov 21, 2004
    Texas
    OK, so deeper penetration isn't better?

Sorry, I'm really not trying to be obstinate. But he said that the 95gr. in a longer barrel will give you even more penetration. So, if that is the case, and if more penetration is better, then the 95gr. would be the first choice, no?

10. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Generally when you speed a hollow point up it penetrates less and expands more. So the lighter bullet would not get deeper penetration in a longer faster barrel. But this being a copper hollow point things may be different.
    Pat

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  11. JW1178

JW1178

Jul 17, 2009
    I don't think I would want to go lower than 115gr in a 9mm. That is a .380's bullet.

12. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Since the bullet is all copper the 95 grain version is similar in size to a 115 grian conventional lead and copper bullet. Personally I am not a fan of light for their size copper bullets.
    Pat

13. 167

Oct 27, 2008
    The 115gr DPX is the more thoroughly tested and proven of the two, I would go with that.

14. JW1178

JW1178

Jul 17, 2009
    I wish there was more real world shooting reports of how this bullet actually performs in real life. Do any LE agencies use them? What looks great on paper and in the lab doesn't always pan out in the real world. Not saying it will or won't, but I am just wondering.

15. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Only a handful of reports as the high cost will deter LEO.

16. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Jun 29, 2001
    New Mexico
    The Barnes X design has a long successful track record as an excellent round on all sizes of game animals and in all calibers.
    I have zero doubts as to its effectiveness as a self defense bullet.
    The design has been proven in the field.
    After all, humans are just another animal and we're not that tough to kill.

17. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

Aug 10, 2008
    NC,USA

no disrespect but as a SD round, why?

corbon seems to have their act together in the DPX line. i have seen nothin but good things from it and suspect they have done much testing and seem to have it dialed in.

the biggest issue is price. the round has many plus+++'s.

18. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    They seem to open well. My problem is they will always be slower and lighter than a copper/lead core bullet. They will always have less energy and momentum to work with. You will always have light for caliber bullets going slower than they should. I am not a fan of Corbon's quality control. I had a 357 sig from them KB a Glock I had many years ago. I am grateful that my shooting hand is intact. Corbon did the right thing and fixed the gun. But I could have been hurt. I have also had issues with miss fires with their ammo. That should not happen with a maker of defensive ammo.

Pat