870 wingmaster questions

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by AR15 guy, Jan 26, 2013.

1. AR15 guy

AR15 guy
    Expand Collapse

A guy I work with is trying to sell a well used wingmaster for $300. I've offered $200 and he's considering it.

My only problem is this gun is only chambered for 2 3/4" shells. I assume it is pretty old? It appears to be in pretty decent condition, but does have some wear on the blueing.

Plans for this would include a shorter barrel, extended magazine tube, and synthetic furniture.

Would this be worth picking up?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 AR15 guy, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Unless you plan on shooting geese, bear or armored personnel carriers, magnum loads are unneccessary and generally not the way you want to go.

Current combat loads for shotguns are typically reduced recoil. They group/pattern better, further, kick less and the 100fps less is rarely noticed by the target.

I'd have absolutely no problem with a nonmagnum Wingmaster for a defense gun. I've had a 3.5" chambered Benelli and never, ever used the extra case length.

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn
    Expand Collapse
    The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

Not a bad deal at $200.

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

The older Wingmasters were built better, all metal construction.
    I have a mint 1969 Wingmaster, wouldn't sell it for $1k

Buy that old Wingmaster!

5. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

2 3/4 inch shells are not 'old' but rather the norm.

If you are unable to stop a two-legged ctitter with 2 3/4 inch slug or buck, a magnum length ain't gonna' help you one bit.

#5 Leigh, Jan 26, 2013
  6. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

Deleted...double tap.

#6 Leigh, Jan 26, 2013
  7. Nate23FDE

Nate23FDE
    Expand Collapse

I'd get it, 2 3/4's hit hard & will be fine for self defense. I have a Wingmaster supermag I duck hunt with & rarely use the 3 1/s's. Great guns.

8. AR15 guy

AR15 guy
    Expand Collapse

I completely forgot my father in law gave me a remington 1100 some time ago. The stock is trashed, but there are plenty of aftermarket stocks out there.

9. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux
    Expand Collapse
    Shut your mouth

Grab it. I have an old Wingmaster I found cheap. It has a 37 foot long barrel. I haven't sunk a dime into it except I re-blued it. I am waiting to find a deal on an 18" barrel.

10. jrd22

jrd22
    Expand Collapse

The old Wingmasters are great guns. I bought each of my sons one 20 years ago or so and they have survived everything from being dropped on rocks to bouncing around in the pickup bed, and they still outshoot me with my new VersaMax:-((

11. deputy tom

deputy tom
    Expand Collapse

I also vote buy that Wingmaster. tom.:wavey:

12. glock2619

glock2619
    Expand Collapse
    Work in Progres

I occasionally rescue old, neglected Wingmasters. I take them in, clean them up, give them a home where they are loved.

You can't go wrong with an old Wingmaster. Around here, the non-magnum guns (2 3/4" only) bring very little money. But, I rarely have need for 3" regardless, so I grab them when they show up.

Normally smooth as silk and in need of very little besides a good scrubbing. Might want to replace the magazine spring.

Pick up an extra barrel and have it cut down if you can't find the length you want. There's tons of them out there so finding an extra isn't really a problem. Just might take a bit of patience.

13. Buffering

Buffering
    Expand Collapse
    The Cooler

The only disadvantage to an older Wingmaster is that they don't have the flex tab feature, that's on all the new 870's.

Now, before anyone raises the panic flag, I have 30+ year old Wingmaster that doesn't have it and I'm not terribly inclined to call it a lesser gun. Just a thought for those who consider it important.

14. DrMaxit

DrMaxit
    Expand Collapse
    Dirtbag Airman

Tell him I'll give him $250

:rofl: :rofl:

15. glockman99

glockman99
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

$200 for a Wingmaster?...BUY IT!!

16. wolf19r

wolf19r
    Expand Collapse
    Problem Solved!

I have an old probably late 70s early 80s with the original barrel that was cut down to 18" by the first owner. I was thinking the same as you. But the 2 3/4 chamber is not a big deal and the 2 3/4 buck, reduced recoil and field loads are easy to find. Not to mention the all metal construction and this thing is a tank. I got it Cerra coated in green and left the stock and forend the natural wood. It looks nice but I need to redo the wood and seal it with some poly. For $200 its a nice deal with a lot of potential. Instead of cutting it down you could get a 18" barrel from a few different companies.

17. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

The Wingmaster is a nice gun, and you still find blued 18" barrels that will match the finish on the reciever.

They make good HD guns. Better quality in those in those older guns than in the Express and probably even the P models made today.

As far as the chambering Turkey or Waterfowl is the only thing I have ever used 3" shells on.

18. MajorD

MajorD
    Expand Collapse

The only difference in the 3 vs 2.75 chamber guns are where the ejector is riveted into the receiver - my bro is a Remington Armorer and converted his while at the Remington school. As mentioned above 2.75's are more than adequate for anything except waterfowl and turkey hunting for defensive purposes should be fine. Look forward to pics of your new to you gun!