close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

870 vs 590 opinions???

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Marshal Sam Hol, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Marshal Sam Hol

Marshal Sam Hol
    Expand Collapse

After 27 years ( now retired ) of law enforcement, I am very familiar with the good ole 870's. We always had 870s, sometimes a 1300 in our units. I am not real familar with the Mossberg 590. I have a chance the purchase either an old 870 police trade in or a Mossberg 590 police trade in for the same price. Both have extended tubes, and show heavy wear ( likely from riding in a trunk for years)..I was just wanting to see if I should break tradition and try something different from the 870s...????

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. TECH51

TECH51
    Expand Collapse

I have both and I like the Mossberg better because one thing. The trigger guard. My big hands don't like the 870's curved guard. But hell I like my Maverick 88 the best just because of the safety

3. got_metal

got_metal
    Expand Collapse

My opinion would be the 590. I bought mine after handling 2 different 870's that both malfunctioned in the same manner, after firing a round the slide became stuck and had to be slammed butt-first on the ground to eject the round. I know this doesn't affect the vast majority of 870's but it ultamitely made me choose the 590. Really you can't go wrong with either, I'm sure both have had their share of bad productions.

4. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

If the shotgun is a play toy, doesn't matter but if this is a weapon you may call upon in a defense situation it does, because you counted on an 870 to save you A double S for years, you trained with it and qualified with it so it is the weapon you will know how to use the best if caught in a stressful situation. You hundreds of rounds fired with an 870 and mastered that weapon. To change weapons for no real reason seems like a bad choice. Trying something different that can decrease your effectiveness to protect yourself is not a good idea.

5. ACE31

ACE31
    Expand Collapse

It all boils down to a trigger guard safety versus a top tang safety.
    Both are fine Weapons....:supergrin:

6. Puppy

Puppy
    Expand Collapse

I have both & I always reach for my 590A1 first.

7. Jon_R

Jon_R
    Expand Collapse

I have both that I bought new. I prefer the 590 20" I have but both are fine weapons. As a lefty the 590 safety works better for me. The 870 is the express model with an extension tube.

I have a weakness for shotguns. I have a decent number(8)

8. spyder1969

spyder1969
    Expand Collapse
    NRA/FOP Member

870 for me. On duty, training, teaching, and HD.

9. DHart

DHart
    Expand Collapse

Shotguns are a weakness for me too! ;)

Arguments can be made for the 870, 500, 590, 1300. I like 'em all and can shoot them all just fine. You've spent most of your life with the 870, so it would seem like sticking with that makes sense, which it does. BUT, given some good practice, you can fairly quickly acclimate to any of them.

Controls are really the biggest difference between these models, as they're all relatively comparable in terms of reliability.

For controls, I like the 500/590 the best... by a long shot. I find the controls on the Mossbergs to be the most ergonomic and the easiest to use.

Second best for controls, for me, would be the 1300.

My least liked controls set-up is the 870. But it's obviously a plenty use-able set-up.

I like having and shooting all three guns. Don't worry about what's popular... choose what fits you right and you'll be just fine with the choice. Honestly, I could easily do just fine with any of these: 870, a 500, a 590, or a 1300. What's my favorite? Tough call. They each have their unique advantages.

Right now, the 1300's really have my attention. I love these guns! The 8-shot capacity with an 18" barrel, the one-piece full-length mag tube, no mag extension wonkiness or stability issues/problems, really fast to remove the barrel for cleaning, super fast cycling due to the rotary bolt design. The 1300 is one heck of a great gun worth considering.

Go handle them, then just go with your gut. Shoot whatever you get a lot, and you'll be fine!

[​IMG]

#9 DHart, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  10. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

I got to agree with JD on this one.

I'm a fan of the Mossberg shotguns. I like the location of the safety, it makes for easier operation either left or right handed.

But if you spent a good portion of your life getting intimate with the 870 I don't see any advantage to switching to a 590 now and you would lose all those years of familiarity.

#10 vafish, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  11. TECH51

TECH51
    Expand Collapse

I know I have about 400 + rounds threw ea. Not good to kept switching up. But good to know if one goes down. (that never happens)

12. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

For once aippi and I agree.

Mechanically some consider the 590 design superior. Realistically both run very well and are good designs.

I prefer the Mossberg safety location but overall having owned 2 870s a 500 and a Nova SP.....i'm fine with all of them.

You have decades on the 870. Stick with what you trained on and keep it maintained. It didn't get to be the most popular shotgun of all time by accident.

13. Marshal Sam Hol

Marshal Sam Hol
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the opinions...I will go to the gun store, and if the 870's are still there, I'll get one if not, I;l get the 590...ifneither are there..I'll wait for the next gunshow..
    Thanks again

14. babarracing

babarracing
    Expand Collapse

Kinda late to this party. But I am a lefty with a hereditary skin condition which makes my hands Tactile challenged and the readily available Big Button cross bolt safety sure is great for me under stress. :wavey:

15. 84S

84S
    Expand Collapse

I have a 870, but would be happy with a 590 as well. You can't go wrong with either one. I would look into which safety position suits you best, other than that both will serve you just fine.

16. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout
    Expand Collapse
    Behind you!

One of the reasons I chose a 590a1 Mossy when I was in the market for a new shotgun.

17. RockyMtnScotsman

RockyMtnScotsman
    Expand Collapse

Yet another vote saying there's no wrong answer here, but I prefer the tang-mounted safety on my Mossy's.

#17 RockyMtnScotsman, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  18. Z71bill

Z71bill
    Expand Collapse

If this is a HD shotgun why does the location of the safety matter?

Why use the safety at all - just load up the mag - take safety off - pull trigger -

If you need the gun - rack the slide - you don't even need to touch any small buttons - and you are ready to go.

Edit: IMHO this is a better (safer) way to store your HD gun VS loaded chamber with safety on.

#18 Z71bill, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  19. DHart

DHart
    Expand Collapse

Z71Bill... as a defense gun it would be wise to shoot it a lot for practice and familiarity, so an easy to access safety comes in handy on the gun during practice even if not as much so during a defensive encounter.

20. sortafast

sortafast
    Expand Collapse

I had the same thing happen on 2 different 870 magnum express'. One was mine, one was a friend's. We were shooting some clays and they locked closed on the shell. This happens intermittently still, but I have a police turn in 500 with a Speed Feed stock that I have for HD stuff. Really though, the 870 is a heavy shotgun IMO. The mossy seems a bit lighter. And one thing that I was shown by Mike at Tornado Technologies, is that the fire control bits on a 870 are still fitted. They are not all plug and play. I do believe that the mossy's are a bit better in this respect. But like all things it remains, Buy one of each and your problem will be solved :supergrin: