close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

870 tactical choke question

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by reload796, Jun 22, 2010.

1. reload796

reload796 always reload..

Apr 14, 2010
    Norman, Oklahoma
    I have a 870 tactical with the screw in door breaching choke on it. Can I shoot it without the choke on it? If I do shoot it without the choke can't that have a chance of messing up the threads that the choke screw into the end of the barrel? And help in this would really be helpful.

2. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    You can I suppose, but you're correct in your thinking that it may mess up the threads. No point in doing it anyhow.

3. reload796

Apr 14, 2010
    Norman, Oklahoma
    The choke has very sharp spikes on the end of it, and it makes it about 2 inches shorter without it on... Is there something I can screw in and protect the threads but still not stick out to far? I don't know a whole lot about shotguns thats why I ask to learn.

4. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    Any Rem Choke should fit.
    Pick one you like & screw it in.
    Improved Cylinder would probably be the best for all around buckshot patterning.
    Denis

5. reload796

Apr 14, 2010
    Norman, Oklahoma
    I guess what I'm really asking is do I even need one in there? This is a home defends gun and that is it. Just don't want to eat those threads up if I can help it. Thanks again for all the help guys.

6. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249

Dec 4, 2006
    Louisiana
    If you don't want to mess up the threads, you need SOMETHING in there. Look at local sporting goods stores and see if you can find cylinder or improved cylinder chokes.

Sam

7. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    Yes, as noted above, you DO need something there.
    Remington makes a number of Rem Chokes, look for the shortest one in either Cyl or Imp Cyl you can find, and screw it in.
    Denis

8. I would not shoot it without a choke installed, you
    can mess up the threads.
    Post a message in the Items Wanted on the forum,
    someone may have an extra cyl or imp. cyl. choke
    around that they may give you or sell cheap.
    Lots of good guy's around here that will help if they can.
    Good luck.

9. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
  10. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Feb 17, 2008
    I have the same gun and quickly decided that the breacher was of no value to me. I installed a remchoke and really like the versatility that screw-ins provide in a shotgun for SD/HD purposes.

You'll destroy the threads without something protecting them during firing, as stated.

11. bsg1

bsg1

Aug 31, 2009
    Southern California
    you should be able to find chokes very cheap on gunbroker. i bought some for my Super 90 there and it was raining in chokes.... i would venture to guess that JD (Aippi) sells them.