close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

870 Police--failure to extract. ((pics))

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Meat-Hook, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Meat-Hook

Meat-Hook

Mar 13, 2002
    I dont know why this is happening, but all of a sudden my Remington 870 Police ((wood stocks)) stopped extracting shells. Before Today,..it was working like a dream.

Im not a gunsmith so I dont know why this is happening. I can speculate this:,...

The extractor does not appear to be going fully into Battery,..or the extracter claw Hooking onto the rim of the case. As a result,..there is that tiny bit of headspacing causing the shells to bulge when this shotgun is fired. ???

It appears that when the shotgun is fired that during the recoil process, the rim of the shell casing is slamming into the extractor. This is why you see the mark/fingerprint of the extractor dented into the rim of the shell casing.?? But I may be wrong. Imnot a gunsmith.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    First things that come to mind would be a very dirty chamber causing the hulls to stick, a work/weak/misaligned/bent extractor, or a weak extractor spring. I don't know shotguns as well as I do ARs, though. Plus, I'm a Mossberg owner, not remington. Aippi will probably have more insight, but those three things would be my initial reaction.

Edit to add: Something definitely looks "off" about that extractor to me. Again, I have no basis for comparison for that, and it could be perfectly normal for an 870... but it doesn't look right to me.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

3. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
  4. Meat-Hook

Meat-Hook

Mar 13, 2002
    It appears to be doing it with other ammo. I fired the Fiocchi ammo which has the dark brown shells then switched over to the red shell casings. I forget what make they are. They have a wreath on them with 3 3/4-1 1/4 markings. On the brass they are marked 12 GA Made in USA.

The interesting part about the red shells is that they dont appear to have the extractor strike marks on the brass, yet they bulged and failed to extract.

5. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Shoot some regular Remington, Winchester or Federal stuff and tell me if this is happening. I don't know what kind of ammo that stuff is and can't tell you what is going on till I know it is not an ammo issue. Once I know, I can help you as I am Factory Certified on you 870P and do this for a living.

6. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    Check into the extractor relief (cutout) next to the chamber. Use a "hook", or something sharp to make sure nothing is plugging up the cutout while the bolt is in battery. That extractor may be contacting something that is not allowing the hook to spring back against the brass rim. Just a thought.

7. xracer390

xracer390

Jun 10, 2010
    I know little to nothing about shotguns but are you loading 3 inch shells in a gun chambered for shorter rounds ?:wavey:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  8. thinktwice

thinktwice

Mar 29, 2007
    North Carolina
    A lot of people are saying the action is smoother with the 870 over the Mossberg 500. I have 2 870's and 2 Mossberg's (500's) and the action on the 500 is much smoother than the 870, at least mine are. But I love them all! Either is a great choice.

9. Meat-Hook

Meat-Hook

Mar 13, 2002
    Thanks aippi, I appreciate youre help. It turns out the red shells with the wreath on them are ESTATE, 2 3/4", #6 shot.

Ill shoot the Remington/Winchester/Federal stuff and get back to you when I can.

[​IMG]

10. Meat-Hook

Meat-Hook

Mar 13, 2002
  11. Meat-Hook

Meat-Hook

Mar 13, 2002
    390,...the barrel is stamped * 12 GA 2 3/4" OR 3"

so this shotgun can handle 3" shells.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Meat-Hook

Meat-Hook

Mar 13, 2002
    tenntornado,..the cap is tight now. I didnt check its tightness before firing as its never been an issue before. The last time I shot it, I broke it down cleaned it and everything was put back together again tight.

13. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

Aug 8, 2005
    Rocking the Casbah
    That ammo says that it's the "Ultimate In Performance" so I doubt it's the brand of shells. Are you using a tactical lube on your gun?

14. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    It can be anything from ammo to a broker ejector. Starting with the simple is the only way I can help when I can't see the weapon nor talk you through checking things.

15. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    EDIT - Sorry, I had an idea, but proved myself wrong.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  16. IIRC what the barrel is stamped in irrelevant on the 870. It depends which receiver you are using. Any of the receiver's marked "Magnum" are suitable for the 3" shells. And your 870P is so marked. Also IIRC the only ones that aren't marked "Magnum" are the older light weight receivers.

17. M1Garand

M1Garand

Sep 7, 2005
    Virginia
    I cannot offer whole lot about your trouble, but your 870P sure looks nice with the woods.

18. Meat-Hook

Meat-Hook

Mar 13, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  19. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    I offered to assist you if you call and have the weapon in front of you. You have not. Can't do more then that as there are things to check on the weapon and I can't see them.