close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'83 Kawasaki 750 speedo question

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by carebear, Jun 30, 2004.

1. carebear

carebear Da Bear is back

Ya try to get out and they draw ya back in. I've been trying to cut down on my online time so I haven't been here on GT for a while. Unfortunately, I need information from the depths of esoterica and know that someone here always knows something about everything.

Just bought my first bike, an '83 KZ750 LTD for $300.00. It had been scuffed up but no real damage. The only casualty I couldn't replace was the speedo. The local Kawi shop wants $4-500 for one (must be gold parts).

Now, it's a mechanical device so there must be an aftermarket that'll work, but I don't have access to a manual and can't figure out the ratio to match it with a less expensive alternative. Can anyone out there give me a lead on my next step? I know there are part's catalogs and such but the counter people aren't real helpful when you try to ask about cheaper alternatives.

Anyone? Thanks.

2. Road Weazel

Road Weazel

sells universal speedo's. Not sure if they have interchangable faces to make them match different drives. You could always paint the face yourself...

3. ClickClickBoom

ClickClickBoom Sod Off

http://www.oldkawman.com/ I stumbled across that website while looking for parts for my old KZ440 which I'm revamping to give to my brother.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Damn...talk about Deja Vu!

I had an '83 Spectre 750 with a dead speedo. Victim of a gentle laying-down, apparently...but that wasn't the only problem!

Sucker liked to pop out of second gear, too...my left leg bulged in front after a while from holding the %$#@*& thing in gear.

The starter killed Yuasa batteries regularly, too, and then it was push-start time. Bah.

I only had it for one season, then I traded it off on an '85 Honda 1100 Sabre...which was not only twice as powerful but had a speedo that worked--digital, even! I rode that until it burst into flames on fine fall day while I was just slowly toolin' around town. That sucked.

But the insurance money went toward my first VFR, a '97 750. Which was nearly twice as powerful as the 1100!

5. carebear

carebear Da Bear is back

Still no luck. The old kawman site didn't have anything that NEW (?)

Ya want irony with that deja vu? I came out of church today and parked right up front was an '83 750 Spectre.

Guy came walking up before I could dig up a screwdriver though. ;)

I got mine as a "starter bike" anyway. Next season I'll upgrade. Looks like I'll just get the generic speedo from jc whitney for now.

Thanks for the help.

6. ClickClickBoom

ClickClickBoom Sod Off

1983 KZ750 should be fairly close to the late 70s 750s (900s/1000s) enough for the gauges to fit.