close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

8 tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens (policeone.com)

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by HerrGlock, Apr 25, 2011.

1. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
  2. coondog22554

coondog22554 Lifetime Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Stafford, VA
    " Understand that — as with any belief that people feel strongly about — open carry is a form of political protest."

:wow:

3. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Some quotes from the article:

4. Steve in Az

Steve in Az Glock 21

Aug 12, 2000
    Arizona
    The reason there is "increasing concerns and outright alarm on both sides" is because the liberal agenda has tried to make gun ownership a "shameful" thing---and largely succeeded. It's your RIGHT, exercise it. The mamby-pambys will come around in time.

In the words of Uncle Ted "the second amendment is my concealed carry permit."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  5. WHEC724

WHEC724

Feb 23, 2010
    SC
    "6.) It still takes time to draw and load the firearm. It can be done in around two seconds for well trained individuals. As with any contact, watch the hands and body language. "

'Very naive statement here. I'm also surprised by the author's assumption that all open-carry is a political statement. I found the article to be very poor and mis-informed advice.

6. Ahh shucks! =(

7. I thought it was a thoughtful, well-written article.

8. kensteele

kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    I don't do sigs but if I did, this would be mine:

"In the end, we have to look at what the law allows and be able to deal with a legal activity, regardless of our personal feelings on the matter."

I personally think the article is pretty good.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Really?

I've carried guns since before I was old enough to vote and everybody in my family, young, old, male or female, owns and carries guns. But when I see some stranger walking around a store with a gun, my first thought is not a warm fuzzy feeling that he's a potential shooting buddy. If that's your first reaction, you'll need a lot more than a gun to protect yourself in the real world.

I'm just getting tired of minivan commandos who got their first gun last year, acting like they are saviors of gun ownership who are going to liberate everybody's minds with open carry. They're the worst enemies gun owners have right now.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  10. kensteele

kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    "Even if you don’t agree with open carry, stay objective and keep your feelings to yourself."

11. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Behind the Green door
    Pot meet kettle! you don't own this site!

12. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Do you actually understand the concept of an open forum?

Jack

13. kensteele

kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    The PoliceOne Firearms Corner
    with Ron Avery

Here are some thoughts to ponder as well as tips to go by.

"5.Even if you don’t agree with open carry, stay objective and keep your feelings to yourself."

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/articles/3502436-8-tips-on-contacts-with-open-carry-citizens/

It's a quote from the article, did you even read it? :upeyes:

If you would spend more time listening to good advice.....

14. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Doh ?
    Jack - you always make me chuckle.

15. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Quote:
    3.) Targeting open carry by finding ways to charge people with other violations and then ticketing or arresting them may backfire and could be very expensive in the long run. One of the universities in Utah apparently tried this approach and it was leaked to the press. Now we run into civil liberties violations, etc.

Wow! Can't charge someone for exersising there right to carry so lets trump up any charge we can!! I think this is one cop that needs to loose his job! This is exactly the type we don't need enforcing the laws!:steamed:

16. Steve in Az

Steve in Az Glock 21

Aug 12, 2000
    Arizona
    First gun? Commando? Look at your avatar there, junior.

The partially-committed, such as yourself, "behaving" for the rest of the public are the worst threat to our rights--In my opinion.

BTW, I'm 49, have owned guns since I can remember, and an Army war veteran. Maybe get your facts straight before running your mouth.

...oh, and I've never owned a mini van.

Is that "Bren" as in Bren-Ten? And I'm the commando...:upeyes:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  17. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    The fear of open carry is just that - FEAR.

A criminal with the intent to commit a crime using a firearm is a criminal whether that firearm is concealed or not.

Likewise, a law-abiding citizen is not more likely to use a weapon when he or she carries it openly.

These are simple truths.

My 'feeling' is that open carry tends to alarm police, and criminals alike. Criminals should NEVER be allowed to feel comfortable around me, and police have nothing to fear.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  18. Toorop

Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    Well if they didn't break the law they could not "trump up any charge they can" could they. I am sorry but it is not the fault of the officer that the open carry ccw warrior was breaking the law while open carrying. Do you think officers are at fault when they arrest a murderer who just shot someone with a handgun and is now openly carrying a weapon around? Should the officer be fired because they trumped up charges for someone who broke the law?