8 round magazine recommendations?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by ashecht, Aug 14, 2013.

1. I have a Ruger SR1911 Commander, and a Springfield RO. Both guns are currently used with factory 7 round magazines. I would like to buy a 8 round magazine that will work equally well in both guns. Any suggestions as to make/model that is reliable and won't break the bank? If anyone has purchased one recently, where you bought it and what it cost would be greatly appreciated.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Wilson 47D or Chip Mccormick.

3. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

CM Power mags run perfect on my RO.

4. looks like Midway has the CM 8 rnd powermags for $31 shipped. Dont know if I can find a better price

5. Mec-Gar 8 rounders have been 100% in every gun I have tried them in. Price is pretty good, too.

Tom

6. Kimber's Kim-Pro Tac-Mags have proven reliable for me in a variety of guns. The LGS sells them for $17 and they come with two base plates and two different pads, so you can set them up any way you like.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

8. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

Wilson 47D

9. MecGar, Wilson 47D or Chip McCormick mags all work well for me.

10. +1 on these 2 brands.

http://www.cmcmags.com/Powermags.html

8-rd black stainless for $28.95 (I think that may include shipping).

BK

11. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Anybody try the brownells mags yet?

12. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

I've always had good luck with 1911 magazines; many different brands.

ACT-Mag makes magazines under their own name and for Smith & Wesson, and Novak. I've seen them for less than $20.

For a steel framed pistol the Chip McCormick magazines work well. Around $25.00.

I've gravitated towards Kimber's Kim-Pro Tac-Mags; Teflon coated anti-tilt followers, thick wall magazine tubes, and two different height base pads, (or none at all,) and a metal floor plate. The last time I saw any in a shop was at Jensen's in Loveland, Colorado. $24.95.

Bill

13. Happened to buy a new Colt brand at a gun show and it works great in my R1. I would always choose a Mec Gar. Never had a hint of problem with any of those in any gun.

14. AngelDeville

AngelDeville NoHablaMexican

I'll bet you dollars to donuts they are made by Mecc-gar or Checkmate.

Personally I have Wilson's, McCormicks, Checkmate, and Colt/Checkmate.

The only difference is how much you want to pay.

I haven't run across Mec-gars that I know of, but the internet says they are ok.

15. you mentioned "without breaking the bank". I say CMC match grade.

16. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Did the 8 round mag that came with your Ruger not work to your satisfaction??

17. I haven't tried Wilson but I have several Chip McCormicks that work as good as the original 7 round mag.

18. certacs have been flawless for me also.