75 Round Romanian AK Drum Magazine Review

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by plouffedaddy, Jul 30, 2012.

1. [​IMG]
    First thing's first––-who really needs a 75 round drum magazine?!?! Anyone who wants to have a lot fun, that's who!
    I picked these top loaders up from Apex about a month ago and the one in the video below was the one in the 'worst' condition but as you can see it's still in great shape for a surplus mag. There's a lot of controversy out on the forums about whether these are of Romanian or of Russian origin; I'll leave that to the magazine experts. I know they were issued to Romanian RPK gunners.... Other than that all I know is that they work well and there's lots of fun.
    Pros:
    -100% reliable in 4 rifles I've tried them in so far
    -Heavy (helps absorb recoil)
    -Capacity
    -Mil spec quality construction
    -Relatively inexpensive now (I got mine for $79, but over the years they've been over $120)
    -Great design; much easier to load than the wind up mags
    Cons:
    -Heavy (can be a pro or con depending on intended use)
    -Tough to load after 40 or 50 rounds
    Here's a video of me shooting a couple rounds through my Draco and then I break them down and cover some of the pros and cons.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDA8Hf5OMZs"]Romanian Top Loading 75 Round AK Drum Magazine Review - YouTube[/ame]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Romanian M10-762 M+M Inc. 7.62x39mm 30 Rounds + Free Shipping - $489 Sponsor Showcase May 10, 2012
    Romanian M10-762 M+M Inc. 7.62x39mm 16.25" barrel 30 Rounds - $489.99 + Fre Sponsor Showcase Mar 16, 2012
    Need Help. Romanian underfolder won't cycle rounds. The Kalashnikov Klub Mar 24, 2010
    WTB Romanian 75 round AK drum Wanted To Buy Dec 12, 2005
    WTS: 10 Factory Glock 22 40 S&W 15 round Magazines - $ 150 Shipped Gun Parts & Accessories Yesterday at 5:01 PM

3. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Excellent review.

Any idea how they are converting these to 5.45? I'd buy one if I knew what they're changing. I am confident I could do it myself. I'm not paying $300 for a drum mag for my 5.45 Saiga.

Any chance you could try to load 5.45 in it? It's about 1/8" longer than 7.62 so OAL may exceed the depth of the drum.

#2 toshbar, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  4. The Chinese drums are vastly superior. Easy to load. Easy to repair. Probably why Romania now offers the Chinese style drum.

The 5.45 will fit in a Chinese or Romanian (Chinese style) drum. The 5.45 drums are modified 7.62 Romanian (Chinese) drums. Someone already asked the owner of barel exchange what he does to convert them:

"There are over 20 different mods done the the host drum including cutting the feed tower and rewelding it. Special spacers are made to insert into the spindle inside the drum along with a spacer in the snail track.

I start with a $75-$100 drum and invest alot of time and $30 of custom made parts in fitting these drums.

I totally encourage anyone to try it themselves, but don't ask me how to do it."

5. They are certainly easier to load but that's the only advangage I'd give them (both are great, don't get me wrong). The cost and having to wind them made me go with the top loaders.

6. ak 47

the romanian drum are really good for the ak 47 they are going for like one hunder and 15 teen thats not to bad

7. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

I have both top and back loading AK drums. Both work perfect, but the open back drums are easier to load.

My 100rd drum is fun to use as well.
    [​IMG]

Some shooters believe the top loading 75rd drums are "factory sealed" and cannot be taken apart.
    [​IMG]
    Not true. They come apart very easy for cleaning. Just watch your fingers. The drum assembly has SHARP EDGES.

:cool:

8. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

wow drums are cool i really need an ak