close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

70-200: f/4 IS or 2.8?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MrsKitty, May 30, 2008.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    OK. I got a nice bonus from work so I am gonna get a 70-200. Question is do I want the f/4 IS or the 2.8? Part of me wants the 2.8 while the other wants the f/4 IS.

JB, which do you have? Would you get it again? Complaints?

I am leaning toward the f/4 IS because it is lighter. But I don't want to make a $1K mistake...

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    Disclaimer: I do NOT have either. However, the reviews, both "pro" and hearsay seem to agree that f/4 is brilliantly sharp (and cheaper, of course). f/2.8 is brighter though. ;)

The Photozone review says in the summary:

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    I have never even seen either in a place where I could play around with them. There isn't a decent camera shop anywhere around me I can check them out. That is my only reason for being totally unsure.

The reviews all put the f/4 and f/4 IS waaaaaaaaaay ahead it seems. I just want to make sure it's the one I want...

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Yeah. The rebate puts it at about $15 cheaper than it was before B&H's last catalog was mailed.

5. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    The f4 is a good lens and either one would be good. Given the choice I would pick the 2.8 because it is faster. But I am not you.

6. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

May 7, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    If you plan on using it indoors, get the f/2.8(the IS Would be nice).

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    I went with the f/4 IS. With my bad shoulder, size and weight is a MAJOR consideration. The reviews on it seem to be better and I would rather have a slightly less lens that I can use than a faster one I couldn't physically use (I loathe using a tripod for anything other than IR.) the f/2.8 IS would have really been nice...maybe someday...

Now....where the hell is UPS? :crying:

I just cannot believe I ordered this thing yet... :faint:

I keep telling myself it wasn't stupid since my camera skills landed me an awesome p/t job that lead to the bonus but yikes that is a crapload of money to spend on something...

8. woodasptim

woodasptim

Feb 7, 2007
    NE Arkansas
    I went with the 70-200 f/2.8L and love it so much that I'm looking to buy a 24-70 f/2.8L now. I hope you enjoy it.

9. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I own the 2.8L, but recently borrowed the 4L IS and and I got to say it is an amazing piece of glass.(VERY LIGHT!!)

You made the right choice.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Since you say that, I am questioning my choice a lot less. I have heard good things about all of them so I know the quality isn't really a consideration. Just deciding 2.8 vs weight vs IS... man, was it a hard decision to make!

I fell like a little kid waiting for Santa! :embarassed:

11. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I hardly ever carry my 70-200 2.8L because of weight.

I should put it on EBay and use the money to cover part of the cost of a F4 IS.

I might break even. (Or close)

12. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Are you a member on POTN? Try selling it there, FM or some other photography board. It would be safer and you don't have to risk a low bid winning plus the chances of you getting burned would be less.

That said...the last thing I eBayed was a $20 Yankee Candle that brought $70! :faint:

13. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I am familiar with both places and still perfer EBay for high end stuff.

I've quite abit of money off of EBay and I'm comfortable there.

14. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    I have bought a lot of stuff of there. I got all but one of my FD lenses there, my AE-1 and tons of other things. I haven't ever had a real problem but horror stories make me wary of both buying and selling high end stuff there. Then again, I am paranoid. :supergrin:

15. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Sláinte !

Apr 30, 2004
    I have the 70-200 f/4 non-IS, and could not be happier.

I have been using it this season for little league with a kenko pro 300 1.4x TC, and the result have been spectacular.

(I picked up both the lens and the TC on the POTN forum.)

16. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

May 7, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    Offer an even-up trade @ POTN and I bet it doesn't last long.

17. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<