close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

7.62x39 HD ammo options

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Inebriated, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Inebriated

Inebriated
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, so I've been meaning to find a dedicated HD round for my AK's. I usually have some Wolf FMJ laying around, and since my AK's aren't my go-to HD guns, I never really bothered getting something better-suited. But now that it's on the mind, I'd like to hear what you guys keep with your rifles. I am thinking I'll get some Cor-Bon 125gr JHP's. They say they're supposed to penetrate 9-14" which really doesn't mean much when they don't say WHAT it's supposed to be penetrating, but it seems like a good place to start for doing some testing.

But yeah, what do you guys use?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ak103k

ak103k
    Expand Collapse

I use either Barnaul 125 grain SP's or Wolf 154 grain SP's in mine.

3. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe
    Expand Collapse
    you savvy?

if youre rural or semi-rural use the wolf FMJ and save your money....

4. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy
    Expand Collapse

I use the Hornady SST rounds; the tests I've seen of them are pretty impressive.

5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

Wolf 154 SP's would work.

:cool:

6. Hedo1

Hedo1
    Expand Collapse

I like the SST rounds but they are difficult to find anymore.

7. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

I found some Winchester SP that I put in 5 rd mags in case I get the urge to hunt blacktails with an AK. Should be a good option for HD.

8. Inebriated

Inebriated
    Expand Collapse

I wish I were in a rural area. If I were, I'd be just peachy with the Wolf ammo. I've got houses 100 yards away in almost every direction.
    Do you have any info on the SSTs? I've heard a lot about them, but I can find any tests on the net. Most of Hornady's stuff is pretty impressive, though.
    I've found at least one place that has it online.

My only concern with the SP's is that they will likely penetrate a lot more than an HP. I'll be trying some when I get my hands on the Cor-Bon or Hornady, though.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

There really isn't a good defensive option in 7.62x39 like you'll find w/ other calibers except maybe the V-Max.

10. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe
    Expand Collapse
    you savvy?

you have to remember this round wasnt designed to be a worry about the neighborhood caliber, it was designed to do as much damage as possible....youre looking in the wrong place for what you want.

11. adamg01

adamg01
    Expand Collapse

What are you talking about? You have Corbon loads and pretty much any soft point load such as Wolf 154gr SP. That will be more than adequate. You have a decent size bullet to work with, it's not like you are shooting .22 size bullets where some type of expansion or tumble is crucial.

#11 adamg01, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  12. ri.ben

ri.ben
    Expand Collapse

the newest batch of wpa mil classic hp i got seemed to work good on water jugs.strange there were all these little pieces in the jug....hint hint.

13. Inebriated

Inebriated
    Expand Collapse

I'll check them out.

Last time I shot WPA HP's was about 6 or 8 months ago. Never tried them in jugs, but saw a couple videos where they'd fail to expand from time to time.

14. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy
    Expand Collapse

In the next month or so I'll be doing a test on that very round in my ballistics gel. Stay tuned... :supergrin:

15. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

"That will be more than adequate." Is that like saying "just fine" or "good enough?" As in a compromise?

M855 is "good enough" to take a life, does that mean it's ideal or a good choice?

I guess you think a 230gr .45 is good enough/adequate and shouldn't require expansion?

16. Inebriated

Inebriated
    Expand Collapse

Will-do!

17. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

This -

At indoor distances it isn't going to matter honestly, we are talking 30 feet at almost full speed. It's making a .30 caliber hole period.

But, if you must...

a) Any HP that works reliably. I used to have a WASR that could be finicky with HP. Bear, Wolf, whatever. There will honestly be no practical difference in results at 30ft IMO, between animals, or cheap and premium.

b) Federal SP if you want something classier/better.

c) You'll laugh, but seriously: Zombie Max. Just like A max, but cheaper. Probably one of the most accurate rounds I have shot out of my Arsenal 107...

#17 Aceman, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  18. jp3975

jp3975
    Expand Collapse

Just use wolf soft points and be done with it. There's no use in spending $20+/- a box when you can get the wolf for $5. Unless you're trying to maximize accuracy.

I used to use Winchester Soft points in an SKS to take deer and I never failed to make a kill with one shot.

19. NickC50310

NickC50310
    Expand Collapse

I have my pistols for hd. If the ak comes out shtf in a very severe way and im probably not at home or am not going to care about much besides staying alive. For those reasons i keep fmj for my ak.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. TactiCool

TactiCool
    Expand Collapse

I've found that golden tiger fmj will tumble reliably in pretty much every medium that I have tested it in (gel, water, wet newspaper, etc). It's affordable and accurate too.