close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

6MM Remington for deer

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Munchkine, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Munchkine

Munchkine
    Expand Collapse

I am using Remington Core Lockt 100 grainers right now.

What ammo do you use?

Thanks

Munchkine

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. tjpet

tjpet
    Expand Collapse

Same.

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

That was my very first deer gun, had a Remington model 788, they don't make that model anymore, but it was a real sweetheart!

Used 100gr. factory Remington, reloaded 105's.
    I hate to hear folks say that 'ain't a good deer gun,' was for me. Made an awesome turkey gun as well.

But, as we all do, i ended up trading it to my cousin, (after he busted his nose on the scope), of a Ruger M77, in 7mm Mag. That is a good time to trade or buy, when i guy has stitches in him from his gun! :)

Enjoy it Hoss!
    Try and keep it!
    The ammo your using is plenty good for deer, with proper shot plaement!

Happy Holidays!
    CanyonMan

4. paynter2

paynter2
    Expand Collapse
    It ain't over
    Millennium Member

I use a 6mm for deer most of the time. Same bullets as you.

I used to have a stand on an open field - some long shooting was possible. I used 85gr SIERRA hollow point boat tails then. They were awesome.

The 6mm is plenty for deer. I've shot dozens of them with mine - a few weighed over 200# dressed. Bad medicine for deer and fun to shoot. Very accurate too.

Someday I'd like to get a 742 in 6mm. But, for now, I shoot a Ruger (tang saftey) and a M700 BDL.

5. ECVMatt

ECVMatt
    Expand Collapse

I use a hand load of H4831sc and sierra 100 BTSPs. I have shot this load for so long I forgot what factory ammo I used in the past. I think it was pretty much whatever was on the counter at the local general store.

Great cartridge.

Matt

6. mudfootball

mudfootball
    Expand Collapse

A buddy of mine shoots 80 or 85 grain handloads. He likes to razz me because no matter how i shoot a deer with the 308 , heart/lungs, shoulder, neck they all run. He uses that little pea shooter and always puts them right down. Although he doesnt usually have an exit hole!

kt

7. Munchkine

Munchkine
    Expand Collapse

My dad hand loads some softpoints for it but right now we are shooting the Remington stuff.

Great gun I agree- mine is a Remington!

Munchkine

8. paynter2

paynter2
    Expand Collapse
    It ain't over
    Millennium Member

Exactly why I shoot a 6mm. When I was a kid, I had a .32special Win. When I hit a buck, the buck went down. I got a l ittle older and got a 30-06. Kill the deer just fine. But, they would usually run a ways before I'd get th em. The bullet was going out the far side and expending engergy into a nearby tree.

A friend, who was shooting a .243, told me to go to a smaller calibre. So, I went to a 6mm Rem - because my hunting partner had one. I've never gone back.

NOTE: The partner I mentioned above called me yesterday to say he shot a buck in northern WI last Saturday with a 20 inch inside spread, blade like brow tines and 9 inch g2s. Yes, he shot it with a 6mm Rem.

9. mudfootball

mudfootball
    Expand Collapse

Might as well add this, his 6mm put an other one down in her tracks monday, tells me it was a necessity because in another 50 yds she would have been sited by another 2 hunters. Blizzard conditions tomorrow. If i brave it, the 308 better make some noise!
    kt