close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

-6F right now here. When will this global warming thing end?

Discussion in 'The Furball Forum' started by Detectorist, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    I'd hate to go through global cooling....

Dang.

2. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Nov 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    According to the evil groundhog, we have about 5 1/2 more weeks of it.

3. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    In all fairness, it was never global warming. The environmentalist/scientists/whatever said there would be seriously fluctuating weather patterns. More severe storms, hotter summers, colder winters, tornados, floods, etc etc etc. The politicians in that group changed it to "global warming" because it makes for better news stories and such.

Now, whether it is actually happening, and more importantly, whether we have anything to do with it, is a different conversation.

4. Lock316

Lock316 Thread Killer

Jan 26, 2001
    Upstate South Carolina
    That matches my calender.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    I hear Puxatawny Phil is going to be a cable news anchor. He is very good at telling you what you already know with far more fanfare than was required. ;)

6. Dennis in MA

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    This is looking an awful lot like last winter to me. More snow overall, but the same pattern. Warm January (this year punctuated with negative lows every so often) followed by a colder than average Feb. That lasted until June last year. It was just COLD!

I'm hoping that we've gotten all of our snow for the season plus due to the severity of the cold-snaps we've had, our overall temps are lower than normal. . . leading to a WARMER and WETTER (we need the rain) winter tapering into a mild, mostly sunny spring.

7. blackxpress

blackxpress

Aug 29, 2013
    Didn't you hear? This is all being caused by global warming in the arctic causing the jet stream to dip farther south. It must be true. I read it in the newspaper just this morning.

8. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    I read a number of years ago that it was the changes in the jetstream that had failed to bring the monsoon season to africa, in turn causing that massive famine we all heard about, in the 80s I think it was.

9. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

Dec 15, 2012
    SW Missouri
    No, this is not correct. When James Hansen et al first discussed CO2 and its effect on the climate, it was all about man-produced CO2 causing a warming effect on the climate. The "stronger storms" thing only started coming about around the early 2000's because their initial predictions just weren't scary enough. They jumped all over Katrina, with Algore famously saying that MMGW was going to cause lots of Katrinas - never mind that Katrina was only a Cat 3 and that we've enjoyed a "hurricane minimum" for about the last 15 years or so.

Colder winters were never predicted in the models, but some climate "alarmists" use cold weather as "proof" that MMGW causes all sorts of fluctuations - essentially saying that any weather we don't like is caused by an increased amount of CO2. This is not at all scientific, it's simply political nonsense.

The models have predicted roughly a 1 degree C rise over the last 17 years, but instead the global temps remain flat. Therefore their models are wrong, the climate is more complex than what their models take into account, and the idea that a trace gas that really isn't that good at trapping heat can cause a run-away positive climate feedback has always be ridiculous on its face. We know the concentrations of CO2 during the last ice age, roughly 260 PPM versus today's 396 PPM. But that's not really all that surprising, it was also about 260 PPM 5000 years ago when it was actually warmer than it is today.

The "missing heat" that their models say must be here isn't hiding in the ocean, it isn't hiding anywhere. It's simply not there, and the models are wrong. Period.

10. Seems like a normal winter to me.

I just ran 3 miles this morning in -3F. Why? Because this is winter in NY, and if you want to do something you just go out and do it. That's how it's always been. Just saying -3F is not unusual here.

11. Dennis in MA

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA

Shhh. I watched TV once. They said that we are experiencing more weather events because of MMGW. So my mental pump is primed and every storm I see - especially Weather-Channel-Named winter storms, proves that they are right and MMGW is true!

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

Of course, the hurricanes that killed thousands in Central America in the 90's don't count. . . because they really aren't "Americans." Katrina counts as 24 storms and Thuper-Thtorm Thandy counts as another 349. Because it was BAD! Everyone says so. It was Thuper!

12. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    Are you suggesting that somebody has been dishonest to forward a political agenda? I just can't believe anybody would do anything like that.

13. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Alaska
    And Windy.:cool:

14. Golddog

Golddog

Nov 26, 2003
    Parkton, MD
    And in Australia for the past month, some places have regularly experienced temperatures of 115 degrees and hotter. So why is your little corner of the universe the place from which to generalize about the world's long-term climate patterns?

15. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Doh ?
    I call BS on this one.

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2010/08/bergen_county_scientist_who_co.html

I guess he is a "denier" as well…...

ETA: I see CCB has already responded. We meet again to battle the ignorance stupidity of the champions of anthropomorphic global warming/climate change.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  16. It was -12 when I climbed in the car to go to work today.
    Al Gore, you sorry son of a *****, where is my promised global warming?

17. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

Aug 23, 2004
    N.W. Lower Michigan
    It's the old "make a conclusion and find data to support it" method of scientific analysis.