close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

6 rounds enough?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Brad55102, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Brad55102

Brad55102
    Expand Collapse

im interested in a G36
    my problem is, i cant decide if 6 rounds is enough.
    what do you think?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. NMG26

NMG26
    Expand Collapse

I carry five.

It has been enough so far.

I would like to have a 45 auto and think the G36 is a good choice.

:)

#2 NMG26, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. ballr4lyf

ballr4lyf
    Expand Collapse

No, but with 2 extra magazines you'll have 18. :cool:

4. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard
    Expand Collapse
    The Anti-Glock

It's actually 6+1, so its 7.

5. BIGBOY61

BIGBOY61
    Expand Collapse

Don't be caught off guard by how many rounds you carry for a 45ACP.

Remember that a Commander size 1911 only has a seven round mag with one in the pipe.

With a G36 you have 6 in the mag and one in the pipe. I carry an extra mag with a one round extension.

[​IMG]

I do not feel under-ammo'd by my G36. It is thin, light, and that big fat flying ash tray of a round is the perfect man stopper- if needed.

6. Schaffer

Schaffer
    Expand Collapse

Or just get a 30 and throw a 21 mag in your pocket.

7. BIGBOY61

BIGBOY61
    Expand Collapse

I had a G30 and sold it to get my Ed Brown 45ACP.

But before I sold it, it was and outstanding shooter. Accurate and loads of fun to shoot. Just a fat brick to carry. Yeah, I carried the G21 mag in it and it was very sufficient.

I then fired the G36 and it was just as accurate as my former G30. Much thinner and resembles my 1911 grip, after my Cold Bore Custom modification!

8. tuf8seconds

tuf8seconds
    Expand Collapse
    TEXAS COWBOY

In most situations it will be 6 more than enough...If the person that you have a problem with has any sense what-so-ever, all you have to do is show it to him and you'll be all by yourself......
    However, if after you show it to him, you are "NOT" all by yourself, you may have to use it because he ain't got a lick of sense....Now, you know the rest of the story.....

#8 tuf8seconds, Feb 26, 2012
  9. TxGlock9

TxGlock9
    Expand Collapse

It's all in the user preference. For me? I would prefer to have more in a magazine. Not that I would need it.

10. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20
    Expand Collapse
    LongTerm-Guy

I have to agree....Perfectly said!

11. GRT45

GRT45
    Expand Collapse
    Transform & Win

Brad, plan on carrying a spare mag for backup with a CCW in case of a mag failure regardless of which pistol you decide to get. Read this cautionary tale for just one example: Making a case for a spare mag... My story

For the G36 45ACP, if I were you I'd carry at least one spare mag with a +1 extension and +10% mag spring (7 rds total) and load 6+1 in the pistol, or 7+1 if you can manage to conceal it well.

My CCW is a G30SF 45ACP loaded 10+1 and I don't leave the house without a 13-rd spare mag. From my training, I tend to view defensive pistol firepower in terms of the number of three-shot bursts that can be delivered accurately without a reload. Two bursts is really pushing it for my personal comfort level.

Regarding capacity, Mas Ayoob's column in the May/June 2011 issue of American Handgunner magazine (available online) is a remarkable story of a shootout between a 20-yr veteran LEO and a BG where both had .45ACP pistols. The gunfight occurred at extreme close range (6 feet) and neither man had benefit of cover. The LEO had a G21 with 14 rnds and the BG had a Sig P220 with 9 rnds. Both guns were empty at the end of the fight and the BG ran out of bullets first. The LEO was hit once in the leg and the BG was hit seven times and survived. It's an important lesson about having the right ammo and adequate round capacity.

See The Ayoob Files - Dueling .45s: The Steve Lang Incident (Page 32)

The LEO switched from 185gr CorBon +P JHP to 230gr Speer Gold Dot JHP immediately after the gunfight.

Stories like this encourage me to keep toting a spare 13-rd mag on my person for CCW, in the event of a rare mag failure, even though it's inconvenient at times. It's also a very sobering reminder that proficiency under the stress of real combat is a whole different world than shooting at range targets that don't shoot back.

#11 GRT45, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  12. MikeG36

MikeG36
    Expand Collapse

I love my G36. It's thin, easy to conceal and very accurate. It holds one less round than my 1911 Commander which isn't that big a deal because I carry one and sometimes two spare mags. You can go with a [thick] higher capacity but then you lose the advantage of the G36, it's thinness.

13. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

+1
    I've got two 5 shot J-frames and a 5+1 Kahr MK40 as part of
    my carry rotation. I most always carry reloads. But with the
    low capacity guns it seems even more important.

My P220/45 and P239/357 are both 7+1.
    Lot's of practice, and being extremely proficiency and accurate with these guns
    raises my confidence dramatically!

[​IMG]

#13 barth, Feb 26, 2012
  14. TxGlock9

TxGlock9
    Expand Collapse

Great grouping Barth.. Have you seen my range report and pistol report threads?

15. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

Haven't seen those threads, but I'm guessing you're an excellent shot.
    That last pic was cheating as I was using a 5.47 inch match barrel Sig Sauer P220/45 .
    My Glock work isn't so impressive.
    But I'm working on it.
    G27 W/Storm Lake 40-9mm conversion barrel
    [​IMG]

#15 barth, Feb 26, 2012
  16. 2740dmx

2740dmx
    Expand Collapse

I recently switched back to semiauto carry, after having been on a revolver binge for awhile.

I never felt "undergunned" while carrying a 6 round snub and a speedloader in my front pocket.
    Of course, the "speed" loader wasn't so speedy under stress, as my training showed me...

It all depends on your personal lifestyle and where you live...
    Here in sleepy Vermont, and me being all clean and sober, going to bed at 10pm and such.....low-risk lifestyle!

I did not switch back to G26 because of the capacity...
    but for the weight, shape, better sights, faster reloading, and more comfortable round (9mm vs .357mag)

With one spare magazine in your front pocket...you are good to go!

Some great advice in this thread!

17. Glock22-007

Glock22-007
    Expand Collapse

i like to have at least 12 rounds with me @ all times. more is always better.

18. glockfanbob

glockfanbob
    Expand Collapse

I'm not comfortable with only 6 but thats personal preference. Too many reports of multiple attackers and drugged up guys taking a multitude of shots to stop.

The 36 is a great gun though. It's been on my list to buy eventually as I like the thinness of it. As noted above, you can carry a spare mag.

19. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

Statistically six will be a few more than you need/fire. Of course statistics involve averaging.

20. DANGELO

DANGELO
    Expand Collapse

I grew up with a friends with LEO parents. Local courthouse cops had gone from wheelguns to G19's. LOVED and were VERY proficient with their wheelguns. From what I recollect, first qual quarter after the transition training, those still holding on to the .38special 6 shots out-shot most (most...) of those with the 15 round G19.

Why: Apparently the G19 crowd went with more of a spray & pray tripple-tap approach. The revolver boys were fast, but consistent and disciplined.

Sometime more isn't necessary better...

I treat my G36 and my Commander-sized 1911's the same as I treat my JFrames & SP101...Two hits, C.O.M., pivot left, (weak side) then pivot right. Within 'short-barrel' distances, two well-placed .38 +p's or .45's are only marginally less deadly than three ++P 9mm Gold Dot's out of my G19.

Good To Great:(Book...) Disciplined PEOPLE ,Disciplined THOUGHT, Disciplined ACTIONS.

Practice Practice Practice.