close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

5 Hunters Shot Dead Over Treestand- WISCONSIN

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Glocker74, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Glocker74

Glocker74

Jan 13, 2004
    Oregon
    ;P

HAYWARD, Wis. — A dispute among deer hunters over a tree stand in northwestern Wisconsin erupted Sunday in a series of shootings that left five people dead and three injured, officials said.

The alleged gunman, a man from the Twin Cities (search) area, was arrested Sunday afternoon at the line between Rusk and Sawyer counties, according to Sawyer County sheriff's officials.

The violence began shortly after a hunting party saw a hunter occupying their tree stand, Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle told KSTP-TV of St. Paul (search), Minn. A confrontation and shooting followed.

One of the shooting victims radioed back to the deer shack (search) for help, he said. When more hunters came to the scene, they also were shot, Zeigle said.

The shootings happened in the town of Meteor in southwestern Sawyer County, County Sheriff James Meier said in a news release. Three people were taken to a local hospital, Meier said.

The three wounded were taken to hospitals in Marshfield and Rice Lake, where officials said one was in critical condition, one was serious and one was fair.

Wisconsin's deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters.

After they got word of a shooting, it took him and others about three hours to round up the rest of their party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed the surrounding roads blocked off.

"When you're hunting you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you," he said. "You have no idea who is coming up to you."

The incident won't stop their hunt, Wagner said.

"We're all old, dyed-in-wool hunters," he said. "We wouldn't go home because of this but we will keep it in our minds."

;g

2. scrilla

scrilla

Nov 7, 2004
    Texas
    My thoughts exactly. I just came across this story and I am absolutly shocked. People are crazy nowdays. There are really no words to describe what happened. I just feel sorry for the hunter's families. This sucks.

3. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

May 20, 2000
    Tennessee
    Insane.That is why you should watch yourself while in the woods,you never know who is out there with you..

4. raindog

raindog

Apr 24, 2004
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who is just left bewildered by this.

5. JohnCT

JohnCT

Oct 22, 2004
    Some additional info from:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=1&u=/ap/hunters_shot

Really makes you wonder what made him go down this route.......

6. buckfever34

buckfever34

Apr 6, 2004
    Southern IN
    This is just a sad, sad, situation. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims' families.

This is the exact reason why I have been trying to get our Indiana game law changed which makes it illegal to possess a firearm while bowhunting. In my opinion, if you have a Concealed Carry Permit, you should be allowed to carry your pistol with you into the woods.

What are the laws regarding this in other states?

Buckfever34

7. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

Jun 25, 2003
    Georgia on my mind
    This is very sobering as we recently had a dispute with some hunters leasing the land ajacent to ours. Some dirtbags from Atlanta who come shoot up the woods near us on weekends cut down our foot bridge that crosses a creek ON OUR PROPERTY. They say they were given a plat which incorrectly showed the creek as the property line. Bear in mind that they are LEASING this land for the hunting season and never even asked the landowner if he knew about the bridge or attempted to determine if it was in place with his agreement. They simply took it upon themselves to remove the bridge. When we confronted them about it they gave us the number to the land owners attorney who we promptly contacted. Long story short, they will be repairing the bridge but not once did any of them apologize or even accept responsibilty, all the while acting in a very threatening manner towards the 79 year old gentleman who's land we hunt on. One 20 something y/o scumbag even inquired if he needed to be in the woods by himself, suggesting that something might happen to him and no one would know. These are disturbing times we live in folks.

8. Delta-9

Delta-9 ( Jon )

Jul 5, 2004
    Luckily in PA, I believe its legal:

See this document Sec 2325 (a.1)

It then references this document.

It sucks that you would have to break the law to use you CCW while bow hunting, but I would be willing to bet there are many people that do it. As long as you keep the weapon concealed after you leave your home and your game warden doesn't pat you down, you'd be clear. But not exactly the reason I would want to visit Bubba, either.

If you did have to defend yourself from an armed person in the woods, you would be answering to the Police before the game commission and if the police found you to be defending yourself from grave bodily injury, its logical to think your lawyer could also get the game commission to drop the charges. At that point, I would be happy to be alive and the Game Commission's charges wouldn't concern me too much.

9. Glocker74

Glocker74

Jan 13, 2004
    Oregon
    In Oregon, bowhunters can now carry. Just passed last year, I believe. The main reason was the number of cougars following or attacking hunters.

What is it about being in the woods that makes some guys think they can do anything and get away with it? This freak sure won't be able to enjoy any more hunting seasons...

I don't know what nationality the shooter is, but in northern California there was a section of coast that was a "dead zone". Hmong refugees went out in hunting season with their SKS/AK's and shot anything that moved, little birds and up. And ate it all...

10. This plays into the hands of the antis that classified us ALL as a bunch of idiots, stupid rednecks with guns that want to kill things.

Hearing stuff like this make me want to buy 400plus acres and hunt on private own land.

11. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Washington
    Excellent point...this undoes all the work that is done to make ccw acceptable cause people will be convinced that gun owners are nuts!!!;Q

12. RonC

RonC

Jan 28, 2002
    Eastern NC
    The 'antis' apparently know what they are talking about. Wisconsin is a 'blue' state, isn't it.

13. This was just changed in Michigan. You can now CCW while bow hunting as long as there is no attempt to take game with it. (you cant dispatch a wounded deer either).

waterfowl is federally regulated "only one firearm in possession".

I hope they make an example of this guy so all the idiot tresspassers
    will think twice. I'm sure all the legitimate hunters are already thinking twice about how to deal with tresspassers. Me, I would probably call the DNR or State Police and not confront the tresspasser...Unitl I press charges.

14. buckfever34

buckfever34

Apr 6, 2004
    Southern IN
    I have been trying to talk to people to express my opinions on the Concealed Carry subject. I do this for two reasons, coyotes and idiots.

I once had a pack of coyotes come in on me while sitting on the ground bowhunting. I was pretty scared because they were very reluctant to scare off. 1 or 2 coyotes are pretty shy, but 6 of them think they can take over the world.

The main reason is idiots, I had a guy that met me at my vehicle when I walked out of a section of woods that was owned by a neighbor. I had obtained written permission before going onto his property, but his neighbor (which also hunted there) did not like me hunting in what he called "HIS SPOT." He approached me with a pump shotgun, never aimed it at me or nothing but why the hell did he have it?

Buckfever34

15. yeah hunters and non-hunters do some strange things around "lets get a deer weeks". My dad was telling me about a neighbor that had some let in central TX and was out hunting on HIS property and he was glassing 2-3 deers about 100yrds from the road way. At that time, a truck pass by slowed down and backup. 2 hunters jumped out with rifle and procceed to cross fence and stalk the deer. He let the hunters get within 60 yrds from the road and dishcarge 2 shots to scare off the hunters and of course deer.

he them called the SO dept, they wheren't too happy with is tactics but they did find the truck and issue warning to them ( hunters ) for crossing private property.

16. Skyhook

Skyhook

Nov 4, 2002
    USA
    I am in no way surprised criminal behavior occurs in wooded terrain. Criminal behavior is evidenced in churches, for crying out loud. Criminals are just that- criminals, and they do what criminals do.
    I'll bet this shootist has some priors--- anybody want to bet?

17. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Oct 2, 2003
    Florida
    Of course he has priors... Reading the police reports around here from the Ocala National Forest about 9 out of 10 firearms violations are simple possession by a convicted felon. (usually stupid enough to be poaching with the firearm they're not supposed to have in the first place)

18. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    In Montana you can carry a firearm anytime, pretty much anywhere. The exception is that you cannot carry a gun conceal , in part or in whole, by clothing while inside city limits, federal or state buildings, banks, rooms that serve alcohol, trains and logging/mining camps. You can conceal a weapon if you have a permit with the exceptions of state and federal buildings, banks and places that serve alcohol. So you can carry concealed or not legally while bowhunting.

19. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance
    If you are going into the woods to confront a allegedly trespassing hunter, dont' forget the pump shotgun.