close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.45ACP 230gr +P HST anyone?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by RMTactical, Jan 10, 2010.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

2. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper
    Expand Collapse

230gr +P HST is one of my preferred carry rounds for my 1911s due to tests that appear to be similar to yours. Issue ammo for my TLE II is 230gr +P Tactical Bonded, so I'd be interested in seeing those pics too, though in my opinion it too seems to be great performer even if it doesn't have the awesome expansion of the HST.

3. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

Good stuff! :wavey:

4. dakrat

dakrat
    Expand Collapse

thats a beautiful flower :)

5. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans
    Expand Collapse
    FYPM

Beautiful stuff. On par with Ranger RA45TP in my book.

6. triggerjerk

triggerjerk
    Expand Collapse

Nice pics.
    Although I find HST +p and Ranger T +p a handful in my dw cco.

7. moncoacp

moncoacp
    Expand Collapse

I got some Remington Golden Sabre 185gr JHP for self defense carry because I got a deal on it. Will it do the job or do I really need the 230gr? I practice with Federal 230gr FMJ or Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ.

8. jeb_ingram

jeb_ingram
    Expand Collapse

RMTactical, where did you get those HSTs around here?

(Is it Rocky Mounitan or returned missionary?)

9. mastrbloata

mastrbloata
    Expand Collapse

Scored around 450 rounds of it before our esteemed President assumed office. It's loaded in my G-21 now. I'm FINALLY seeing 50 boxes (very few) at shows for $40.00 a whack and I saw some On-line vendor had them for $39.99 a 50 box. They are awesome alright. I can't wait to see your bonded results. Very cool. Thanx.

10. mastrbloata

mastrbloata
    Expand Collapse

11. SDGlock23

SDGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Glockoholic

Very nice, I often use the very same combo, a DW CBOB and 230gr +P HST's :thumbsup:

12. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

OK, here is the Tactical Bonded vs the HST (both 230gr +P). The TB penetrated into the 4th jug, but the mushroom is less dramatic.

[​IMG]

In this picture (below), you can see all of the TB bullets we tested. The one in the center was shot through a pickle jar first to simulate a glass barrier (may not be totally realistic, I am sure a windshield is much harder to penetrate, but it was a barrier of some sort nonetheless). You may be able to see some glass shards imbedded in the lead. The bullet was obviously much more deformed than the others but it stayed together pretty well and still expanded very well, as well as penetrating to the 4th jug.

[​IMG]

The two bullets flanking the center JHP were both shot through into bare jugs. As you can see one of the petals sheared off of one of them. All bullets penetrated into the 4th jug. Even the sheared petal of the JHP on the left was recovered in the 4th jug as well.

Hope you guys enjoy.

13. decibels5

decibels5
    Expand Collapse

I would hate to be on the receiving end of that one. :50cal:

14. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for posting pics. It's about what I expected to see, the HST offering dramatic expansion and the Tactical Bonded offering good expansion with a bit more penetration. IMO, both rounds are some of the best performers available in 45 ACP.

15. PghJim

PghJim
    Expand Collapse

16. moncoacp

moncoacp
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. Look like I can count on this ammo in a tough situation. I may gradually weed it out during practice and get some of the 230 gr ammo discussed here.

17. mastrbloata

mastrbloata
    Expand Collapse

I've bought and used 185gr.+P .45acp Golden Sabers (I realize that you aren't talking about +P) after I saw some pretty impressive gel tests with it. However, after more and more reading, I began to notice that it had a reputation as a jacket shedder. I like the round and I believe that they make a bonded version of that round but I doubt that it exhibits the great wound channel characteristics (at least in gel) that the non bonded version does. It seems as though the 230 grain GS also sheds its jacket quite a bit. Granted, these are just obeservations made by reading about the round, not by me actually testing it for myself so take it for what its worth.

18. PghJim

PghJim
    Expand Collapse

I use GS 185gr +P because I shoot it out of a 4" barrel and that gives me about the same velocity as the regular GS185 out of a 5" barrel. I have done alot of testing with this round and never had a jacket separation.

19. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans
    Expand Collapse
    FYPM

The more time you spend studying "wound ballistics", the more you will come to the ultimate conclusion that none of these minute differences makes a hair's worth of split. The GS is a fine JHP, whether in 185 or 230 or +p. So is the HST. So is the Ranger. So is the Gold Dot. Load any in your 45 with confidence. Practice so that you can do your job and deliver the round to COM.

20. PghJim

PghJim
    Expand Collapse

Isn't this Caliber Corner. What else are we going to discuss here?