close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.45 GAP- Who Carries It? Options?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by thegriz18, Oct 20, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    Other than NYSP, PSP, GSP, SCHP, and FHP, who else has adopted the GAP? I'm always interested in this caliber. I try to be objective and understand that these agencies probably adopted the GAP because Glock gave them a sweet deal on it. It doesn't seem like the GAP has really caught on in major circles.

Also seems like there really aren't many SD load options. I'd like to see more offerings in the 200 gr range. Maybe an HST or Ranger T, or a PDX1 offering.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    The big JHP brands are made in GAP. The problem is finding some.

4. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    I say this in ALL polite-ness (sp) I see NO since in the cartridge at all. Not to be mean or quick or short here. I just believe that if your going 45. Go with 45acp. Gaston loves having his name on this white elephant. ;)

Stay safe !

CM

5. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    I don't see any answers in the Bull Dawg forum. The only SD rounds I can find are Speer GDHP 185/200, 230 HST, Ranger T 230, some corbon loads, and other boutiques. Aside from WWB, I don't see a huge selection to choose from.

6. legion3

legion3

Mar 31, 2000
    Parrish FL
    I know what your saying. First off "quality" 230 grain SD ammo (HST RANGER and GOLDEN SABER) is very hard to find...no matter what anyone says. If they say they have no trouble finding it then ask them to hook you up with their source. Chances are they won't respond or will give you links to some place that has been out for months and has no idea when they will get more. You can find Magtech 230 but...

Speer GD in 200 is what most of the cops use and it can be found, it is pricy at over a buck a shot.

However, right now the FMJ and practice ammo is quite abundant on line.

Good deals on 230 grain FMJ Remington, and decent deals on WWB and even some Sellier & Bellot. Ammo to go, gunbroker, et al.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a G39 and G38 and found 500 rounds of Ranger 230 grain. And for the time being I will be selective in shooting them, they should last me a while. I also pick up whatever 200 grain and up SD ammo I come across. (I also have 4 boxes of Corbon DPX and powr ball)

7. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Did you use the SEARCH function?

8. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    Yup... Looks like that forum had a purge.

9. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Just like Colt did with the ACP?

It really is a nice shooting round. I prefer it over the ACP. The G38 will be my next pistol. Will carry it over my G27 when i go in the woods.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Hey bud, good luck with it.

It wasn't just Colt involved in the M1911 (my EDC) but Samuel Colt , John M. Browning, Remington Rand. There have been several hands in the pie down through history of the development of the .45 to the .45acp revolver, to the 45acp M1911. ;)

Again, good luck with it.

CM

11. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Sam Colt died in 1862 so unless he was consulted via séance I highly doubt he had any input. :supergrin: Also, Remington Rand did not exist in 1911. The only ``hands`` were John Browning, Colt & the gov`t. The original load was a 200 gr. bullet at 800 fps per Browning. The gov`t wanted a 230 gr. that harkened back to the .45 ``Revolver Ball`` load that was what we now call the .45 Schofield.

The GAP is a fantastic & more efficient round than the ACP and is pure joy to reload for.

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    And Glock is the only manufacturer of pistols chambered for it. The marketplace has spoken.

13. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Hey cool.

Again, you and I are at a semantic problem. I am not explaining things to well, and you need to more closely look at what I "did say." Hands in 45calibers was the meaning. I think we all know John Browning was "the man," and I do know a tad about Colt ( i said 'Samuel' but meant "COLT" as a corp.... "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal" kinda deal, although I realize he was not here when the 45cal peace maker came into play) and the Government's hands in the 45acp M1911. But the 45cal did not "start with him," (JMB) and it did not end with him Boge. That's all.

I was not trying to give a detailed history lesson here. I can if I need to, but don't really care to or want to. Just simply meant the 45 'caliber' Period, has been around a while thanks to several people/company's, makers, producers, through history 'and evolved' into a real fine weapon we call the M1911 45acp. That is all I meant ! :supergrin:

Adios !

CM

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  14. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    It's a better, more efficient .45 defensive cartridge. For me, the GAP is the best caliber for a defensive gun I plan to shoot very little. When it becomes mainstream, I'm on it. Until then, nope

15. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    My biggest issue is the availability. I'd like to have the option of buying local for less than $25 a box for FMJ.

16. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

May 1, 2004
    Iowa
    You see no SINCE...???

:upeyes:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  17. legion3

legion3

Mar 31, 2000
    Parrish FL
    The bold statement is how I view the gun and caliber too. Since I prefer Glock's it is of no matter to me whether any other maker makes 45 GAP platforms as I have the platforms I want and probably would not buy these other makes anyway.

I am however willing to go ahead an partake of the 45GAP, sometimes you need to be willing not to play the mainstream safe card and just go for it.

I was an early 10mm supporter in the late 80's and it was not yet mainstream...if it really is now.

18. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Shore Donnt !

I'm not hear for a spellin contest Poindexter ! :tongueout:

CM

19. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

Had one, and it shot pretty well. With that being said, stick to the .45 ACP.