close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.45 caliber 230 gr. Hydra-Shok

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Jim in Illinois, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Gentlemen

My son bought me a box of 230gr. Hydra-Shoks for my birthday. Do any of you guys use these in your G21s or G21sfs? Are they reliable? I'd like to fire a few boxes through my G21SF but there so expensive! Why is personal defense ammunition so costly? Is the Hydra-Shok a proven design? My G21SF feeds Remington 230gr. hollow-points with no problems. Should there be a difference? Thanks, Jim...

2. I use them in my G30 and G21SF. I haven't fired many for the cost reason you mentioned, but they function fine and are what I keep loaded in my 2 pistols.

3. boyscout399

boyscout399 Stam Chipmunk

Mar 30, 2008
    Auburn, WA
    I use them in my HK45 with no troubles. With Glock's legendary reliability I wouldn't expect trouble with any SAAMI specced .45ACP factory loaded ammunition.

4. Hydra-Shoks are a sort of self-defense standard. They've been around for many yrs now, and I believe are one of the "original" successful bullets used that obtains good expansion in tissue. I have many Hydra-Shoks here in house and use them in various calibers, including .45 ACP, for carry use.
    That's a fine cartridge. Remington Golden Sabre ammunition is also a proven design and most people speak well of that also.
    Many of us on the forum, men and women, ensure that our guns function reliably with this type of "expensive" ammunition, and then just purchase more economical ammo from WalMart or our local gun store to use at the firing range. We carry the expensive stuff in our self-defense weapons when we "go to town."
    Your son got you a very nice birthday gift.
    Sonnytoo

5. jhands

jhands

Feb 3, 2009
    Tampa Bay Area
    Good stuff. Shouldnt be an issue out of your glock. My 30 feeds it fine although after seeing the difference between hydra shok and hst in testing I switched to hst.

6. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

Apr 24, 2005
    My employer issues that round and it works as reliably as anything thru G21s, G30s, Sig P220s, and S&W M&P 45s. Its been out for a long time.

7. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

Jan 6, 2009
    I carry them in my G30.

8. Edmo01

Edmo01

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Hydra Shok bullets have been around for 15+ years (can't remember exactly when they came out) and have proven themselves during defensive shootings. The only way to determine if your Glock will function with them is to try some in your pistol. I bet it will eat 'em up just fine. Once you run a few through your pistol, you will have the piece of mind it will function when asked to and these bullets will perform as well as any others out there.

Why is self defense ammo so expensive? Because we shooters accept the extra price and keep buying it. Additionally, with more people carrying defensive pistols, the demand has skyrocketed making this a lucrative market for the ammo makers. The ammo manufacturers understand this and have given us better and better bullet designs, purpose built for self defense. Then they market them to us with "ours is better" or "you will not be fully protected unless you use our ammo" advertisement programs which obviously have been successful.

Which is the best ammo for self defense? That is like asking a group of guys which motor oil is the best. I've never torn a motor down after 100,000 miles to compare wear items, but I'll sure tell you which oil is best. The funny thing is most of us have never had to shoot anyone and then compare bullet results. However, you will see many post on which bullet is best.

Hydra Shoks have proven themselves in actual shootings so you are well armed. Remember, shot placement is everything. Center of mass hits with a full metal jacketed round will out perform a miss with the best self defense ammo any day.

Edmo

9. Hydra-Shok's are a proven design thats been around for years. Before you carry them however, I would recommend you buy a couple more boxes and shoot them through your gun just to make sure they will function and you can get a feel for how they shoot.

10. Dingus

Dingus

Mar 19, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    1. more expensive nickel plated casings
    2. more expensive premium powders
    3. far more expensive bullets due to the intricate design
    4. increased advertising and marketing expense

11. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Hydra Shok was a gimmick in its time as well as now. It`s antiquated technology that never really worked.

[​IMG]

12. Wriggly

Wriggly

May 1, 2010
    Illinois
    One of the best posts I have seen on any forum, bar none. :thumbsup:

13. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    They've always functioned perfectly in my 6 Glocks & Sig P220.

14. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

Jun 11, 2005
    D/FW, TX
    They are my 'go to' in 45acp for reliability. I don't think I've ever had a jam, misfeed, etc ever in any of my 45acp pistols when using this stuff. As far as SD ammo goes, yes they are a little outdated & still cost a few $$ more than target ammo, but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for, + like it or not, this load has a proven track record of getting the job done when used.

15. CrackerKen

CrackerKen

Oct 25, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    I ran a box of these through my G30SF. No problems at all. Presently, I'm carrying Winchester PDX-1 230 gr JHP. I've had Hydra-Shok in other calibers too, with no problems.

16. SHOOTR13

SHOOTR13 G30SF Owner

Jan 7, 2009
    PENNSYLVANIA
    +1...I've put two boxes through my G30SF with 100% reliability.

As a matter of fact, I've built up quite a collection of premium self defense ammo over the years...mostly 45 caliber...as that is what most of my firearm collection chambers.

Super Vel
    Flying Ashtrays
    Hydra Shoks
    Black Talons
    Cor Bon
    Glasers
    Mag Safe
    Starfire
    Golden Sabre
    Gold Dots
    Critical Defense

...to name a few !

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  18. BgDnTx

BgDnTx

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    Here's some of my thoughts:
    - I think everyone has an opinion about which round does the job - use the one you are confident in, and notice how many votes for all the ones mentioned in the thread. They are all good.
    - I have shot Hydro, Speer GD LE and plain GD, Win PDX and SXT and Silvertip, and so on in .40, .45, and 10mm.
    - I use Win Silvertip in 10mm for hunting with my G20.
    - Only difference I noticed was in Speer GD LE, which was a noticeably bigger bang. I mean I did notice a difference in the bang and recoil.
    - A LEO friend uses Hydro on the street cause he says the post helps go through cars (and that is what the post is for - to keep the channel clear for expansion when going through clothing). In fact his partner has mags with ball and JHP for going through various barriers. Car-Bon Power Ball is the same principle.
    - I don't think it matters too much in .45 JHP because it's going to make a big hole. I went through the biggest and baddest to find that perfect ammo, but after a while realized that most LEO carry .40 and get the job done.
    - My preference is Win SXT 230gr in .45 because of the expansion qualities and Speer also performs well with similar expansion, Hydro comes right in there. I did a lot of research (FBI Reports and others). This is where I got my info.
    - Your Hydro is good stuff, enjoy, but I would suggest Win white box or Federal from Walmart for plinking since it is costly.

OK, bring on the debate. :supergrin:

19. As many have said, Hydra-Shok is older technology. I believe I remember reading that expansion in soft tissue is less than the more modern rounds. I keep them in my G30 SD (bedside) gun and have shot them out of my G21 and G36 without problems. But the reason I use them, is because I HAVE them - LE boxes of 50, which is a far more economical way to purchase these and any quality SD ammo.

I likely won't buy any more when my current stock is exhausted. You can go here: http://le.atk.com/ and view Wound Ballistic Documents and Videos for Federal and Speer. It may help you make some decisions.

20. proguide

proguide

Oct 12, 2009
    NY
    That's my Department issued round. 1600 of us in my Dept, thousands of rounds through the 21sf. No problems.