.45 ACP Small Primer v Large Primer loads

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Buckeye Glocks, Oct 8, 2012.

1. How do you alter your loads when using small primer brass vs. larger primer brass for your .45 acp?

I recently acquired a large lot of brass - tumbled, inspected, and sorted it and found about 25% of it was small primer brass. I have only loaded large primer .45 acp in the past and wondered what any of you may do differently or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. No alteration needed, just use the load you would use with LP but substitute SP. Simple.

3. Same load with SP in 45acp does seem a little softer to me. Could be my imagination.

4. Thanks - That is what I thought but was not 100% and knew I could get a legit answer here.

5. There is a small vel drop off w/ most powders, that could account for the "Softer' feeling load. So if you are worried about making PF, I woild bump the powder charge 1/10gr to account for that. Better way is to trade off the bastard sp brass for proper LP 45acp.:dunno:

#5 fredj338, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  6. I agree, Trade all that large pistol crap for SP and double your stash. Then laugh at the guys loading LP and paying for brass all the time.

7. Buckeye Glocks,

I have run into this problem as well. I have a post, a page or two back about SP/LP .45 primer pockets and Fred's advice; "So if you are worried about making PF, I would bump the powder charge 1/10gr to account for that." is right on the money, it works just fine if you want to play around with them.

I do think you'd be better off listening to his other piece of advice (I did)... "Better way is to trade off the bastard sp brass for proper LP 45acp." :thumbsup:

#7 Kentguy, Oct 8, 2012
  8. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Sinner.

9. I haven't bought 45acp brass in maybe 15yrs? It lasts almost forever & I pick up at least what I shoot every weekend @ the local IDPA matches.:tongueout:
    I give my SP 45acp brass away to those poor lost souls that don't know better. My mom always told me to be kind to those mentally challenged.:whistling:

#9 fredj338, Oct 8, 2012
  10. Your right. A lot of mentally challenged .45 shooters.

11. sellersm

sellersm disciplinare

Hey, I resemble that remark!! :tongueout:

I wish they'd standardize on a primer size... one less thing to do in a conversion! Call me a lazy American. :supergrin:

12. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

Being able to cast your own bullets and using small pistol primers has me seriously considering my first 1911.

13. I like the small primer 45 ACP brass. One less flavor of primer to buy.

Then again, I re-barreled my 1911s in 45 ACP to 45 GAP. Everyone I know gives me that brass for free.

14. I have always assumed you were a 1911 kind of guy.

15. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

A .45 ACP case with a small primer comes from the same place that the reloader of said case is headed to:

[​IMG]

itisbruno likes this.
  16. I just force a LP into the SP pocket.

17. This sounds like a great solution!

18. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Shut up, Squeaker. :tongueout:

Only if you shoot wet noodle small primer cartridges to begin with. For really super macho he-men like myself, it means I'd have to buy different primers.

19. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

No i am a fantastic plastic sort of guy. 4 glocks and 3 ar's.

20. Yeah, yeah, 9mm is what my grand daughter will shoot, shes only 2, but she'll be ready in another 4-5yrs.:tongueout: