.44 Special

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by BamaTrooper, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Is Winchester 200 gr Silvertip JHP the best SD round available?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    F/S NOS Vintage Colt D-Frame Det. Special Long Butt grips Gun Parts & Accessories Thursday at 10:11 PM
    Cracked .357/.38 Special Casing Reloading Wednesday at 8:53 PM
    WTS Cimarron Bisley .44 Special Revolver (Colorado) Firearms Listings Jul 21, 2015
    Own a Summer Special II for a Glock 19... Worth it for my 26? Carry Issues Jul 21, 2015
    Texas! Is it really that special? The Okie Corral Jul 21, 2015

3. barth

barth six barrels

That's an old standard.
    Not a lot of high tech rounds available in that caliber.
    I'd consider
    CORBON 44 S&W Special 200gr DPX
    http://www.shopcorbon.com/DPX-Handgun/44-SandW-Special-200gr-DPX/DPX45S200-20/200/Product
    The all-copper bullet construction conquers hard barriers like auto glass and steel while still maintaining its integrity. This is an optimum load for Law Enforcement.
    - Deep penetration on soft tissue 12-17 inches.
    - Easily conquers hard barriers like auto glass and steel.
    - Reduced recoil due to lighter-weight projectile.
    - Lead-free projectile.
    - Environmentally friendly!
    *CERTIFIED: CALIFORNIA LEAD FREE*
    Caliber: 44 S&W Special
    Bullet Wt.: 200gr DPX
    Velocity: 950fps
    Energy: 401ftlbs
    Test Barrel Length: 4.0 Inches
    20 rounds per box.

Or
    CORBON 44 S&W Special 165gr Self-Defense JHP
    http://www.shopcorbon.com/Self-Defe...RBON-Self-Defense-JHP/SD44S165-20/100/Product
    CORBON's Traditional Jacketed Hollow Point ammunition made its reputation with "high velocity" loads. This high velocity, combined with our exclusively designed, jacketed hollow point bullets, makes for a very effective self-defensive load. Penetration and expansion in our test medium of 10% ballistic gelatin are excellent; expansion is consistently 2 times the original diameter of the bullet. Depending on caliber and bullet weight, penetration is between 9 and 14 inches.
    Caliber: 44 S&W Special
    Bullet Wt.: 165gr CORBON Self-Defense JHP
    Velocity: 1050fps
    Energy: 404ftlbs
    Test Barrel Length: 4.0 Inches

If you're shooting specials from a 44 mag?
    I use Speer GDHP 44 Mag 200 gr Short Barrel in my S&W 629 for self defense.
    [​IMG]

#2 barth, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I agree - go with CorBon.

5. regardless that the Silvertip is old tech it is a great performer in most calibers. it always expands well but sometimes looses it jacket.

6. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Is S&W or anyone else marketing a .44 Special revolver - Ruger or Charter Arms?

7. #6 cowboywannabe, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  8. Rossi and Taurus make some good ones if you can live with a built in lock.

9. I just bought a new Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum with a 2.625 in barrel.

Been carrying it for a week now with 44 Special Winchester 200 gr Silvertip JHP .

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EihqeX_Sy38"]Smith & Wesson 629 .44 Magnum 2 5/8 Inch Exclusive - YouTube[/ame]

10. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr trout fear me!

Where, which pistol, and only people or what kind of four legged animals?

Buffalo Bore also sells a wadcutter that should cut a full caliber hole. But that brand is expensive now...

In town, I often load the Federal SWCHP load, or Speer Gold dots. In the hills, where mountain lions are known to track deer twenty feet from the front door, I like a 240 gr hard cast over a stout load of Unique.

There should be a good S&W 44 Special online if a local store can't help.

My carry rules don't allow 44 Magnum revolvers, but if yours do, then there are a lot of those - just load Special ammo into your Magnum revolver..

[​IMG]

#9 Poohgyrr, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  11. I'm wearing the Charter Arms right now. Great little gun.

12. I know they' re pricy but in my opinion the Buffalo Bore wad cutter load is the most effective load available.

13. 200 gr Buffalo Bore WC at 1000 fps, 255 gr Keith SWC at 1000 fps, 240 gr cowboy load.

[​IMG]

Taurus stainless 445 2"

(velocity was taken from 5.5" ruger)

14. I posted here recently .44 Special snubby tests done on four layer denim/calibrated gel and the winners were Corbon DPX & Win. ST easily. I have some of the Buffalo Bore full wadcutters as well as their 190 gr. SWCLHP loads. They are nice and accurate, but Buffalo Bore uses Rimrock bullets which are notoriously hard and don't expand worth a tinker's damn IMO. I load the DPX in my Bulldog as I swear one could eat soup out of the HP cavity and they always open up out of a snubby.

Just my 2 cents.

15. It's the shape of the Buffalo Bore load that makes it effective. Research the Manstopper series of rounds put out by the Brits at the end of the 19th century (for their .455 and .476 caliber handguns).

Basically they were simply wadcutters (the first series had a large hollow in the nose. The final iteration was a simple wadcutter).

I carry their .38 Special wadcutter load in my 2" barrel handguns.

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I don't know what your shooting it ot of pard, I have a host of 44mag/44spcieal. short to long barrel. The 3"/4" Smith makes an excellent SD gun. I roll my own and do use it in 44mag, just as i use my SP101 in 357mag.

But, if i were to go with "factory loads" for the 44special for two legged critters, I would use this !

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=271

My gosh, the BHN (hardness) of the lead is only 6 bhn. very soft, yet with its construction will penetrate deep in real world situations. That huge deep HP is sweet, If it opens fine, if not it will still do major damage..

Do't worry yourself with just gel test. The real world is a different story... ;)

Good luck.
    Stay safe!

CanyonMan

#15 CanyonMan, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013

17. Yes, I know what they are. I had a buddy who had an old Webley RIC that we shot blackpowder .455's in. That was a real hoot!! The British used an almost pure lead slug I believe for that round.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=introduction-to-455-cartridges

I carry the Rem. 158 gr. +p LSWCHP sometimes in a 442 backup as it seems to be the best for expansion.

18. This is what I have on right now and the load in it.

250 gn KSWC

[​IMG]

I don't feel unarmed.

19. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Your not ! ;)

Stay safe amigo !

CM

#18 CanyonMan, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  20. A new to me 3" rb S&W 624.

21. Smith 624 in the 3" RB variety so 44 special is the limit. I can carry it off duty if I want.