close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.44 magnum

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by interlake869, Dec 7, 2011.

1. interlake869

interlake869
    Expand Collapse

hello all

ive just taken delivery of an ruger redhawk 7 1/2 in. chambered in 44 mag... i purchased the gun to hunt with mainly and wondered what thoes who are in the know are using for ammo. ive not gotten into reloading yet so store bought is the only way for me. the game will be mainly whitetail with the occasional hog....
    thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 interlake869, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. Steve in PA

Steve in PA
    Expand Collapse

Handloaded 240 or 300gr Hornady XTP's and H110.

3. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

^^THIS^^ If you are not handloading now, then the 44nmag is a good reason. You are never going to get really good with one shooting it 20rds a year. If you want some factory ammo for brass, then any 240grJSP load is fine for deer or hogs. Seruiously though, a $200 Lee ss press setup will churn out plenty of 44mag ammo at 60% less cost than factory.:wow:

4. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

If you don't reload try using Buffalo Bore ammunition! Very hot, good for hunting.

5. smokeross

smokeross
    Expand Collapse
    GTDS Member #49

RELOAD. Or get with a friend who does. My favorite .44 mag load is the old Hornady 265 gr bullet made for the .444 Marlin. It has a heavier jacket and less exposed lead. A great penetrating round. The bullets also cost a lot less than the so called 'premium' bullets. I've taken bears, moose, deer, and elk with this bullet. I load up 23 grains of Winchester 296 with CCI Magnum pistol primers. I also load the 300 Hornady XTP, but the 265 is my all time favorite. I have shot thousands of them through my various 44's.

6. K.Kiser

K.Kiser
    Expand Collapse

Good avice so far, go at least 240 grains... I don't have any experience with Buffalo Bore, but I've only heard good things about it... You may want to look at Federal ammo too, they have a factory loaded 280 grain in the form of a Swift A-Frame which is sure to be a super nice round... My last handloaded batch was 265 Hornady's, and is sure to be plenty... Smokeross seems to have had some solid results, and the field is the real judge...

As mentioned practice is the best thing... A properly placed bullet is a deadly bullet, and a really good properly placed bullet is a home run... You'll get more good advice here, but just go at least 240 grain jacketed bullet with alead front at least... I'd like to try the factory Federal 280 A-Frame though, I've used the a-frame in rifles and they are very effective... I may handload some of the a-frames or Barnes bullets just for kicks - pun intended...

#6 K.Kiser, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  7. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

I'd start off with anything that's a jacketed 240 grain soft point. You really don't need the newest whiz-bang bullet design. The .44 mag has plenty of horsepower, and your 7-1/2" barrel will squeeze every bit of it out of the round. Find something that shoots well in your gun and you could stop there... but that's no fun. :whistling:

.44 mag is probably my favorite handgun cartridge to load for. With a small initial investment, you'll make better ammo for (easily) half the cost of factory fodder.

8. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

SO true. I don't even shoot jacketed bullets in my 44mags anymore. A good 240-250grLSWC or LFP has about all the killing potential need to hunt larger game with. If you live in a state that mandates expanding bullets, find some one or cast your own cup points/HP.

9. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Yep... with Fred's help (and others in the reloading forum), I've been casting 240gr lead semi wadcutters and have found them to be about the most accurate bullet out there for pistol. I just got a deer with them over Thanksgiving, albeit from a Marlin lever action rifle.

10. pochis

pochis
    Expand Collapse

i use 240gr xtp for deer and hogs does fine

11. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

12. interlake869

interlake869
    Expand Collapse

well- we just returned from our first range workout.... shot almost 200 rounds out of the gun and i can say im in love.... all were accurate and recoil wasnt an issue at all.... i will say that the lead bullet stuff- which i shot last really gums up the bore and is kinda a pain to scrub out....

13. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Was it leading in the throat? If so, they may have been improperly sized.

14. interlake869

interlake869
    Expand Collapse

lead seemed to be in the first 3 inches of the barrel

15. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Yep... either the boolit was undersized, or it was too soft an alloy for the speed it was being driven. Wrap a little copper Chore Boy around your brush... it will come right out.

16. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

Maybe some of you reloaders can help with this, but I heard from a couple of reloader friends that if you shoot allot of lead bullets that the last round you should fire should be a metal jacketed type bullet. Either a FMJ or Jacketed hollow or soft point. It helps blow the lead out of the barrel and loosens the rest.

When I was shooting with them it seems to work and at times it appeared to blow a little lead out of the barrel. It looked like a quick splash of water from the barrel. I don't know if this works but it won't hurt ether!

17. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

While it does push larger pieces of lead out, it raises presures doing it & irons in the micro particles to the grooves. For best results. shoot lead only or jacketed only, but don;t go back & forth. You will only plate the copper to the lead & vise versa, making a mess to clean it all out.:whistling:

18. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Been my experience that jacketed bullets really smear it in and make it very difficult to remove.

19. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

i tried many lead rounds over the years and always had a heck of a time cleaning lead out of the barrel no matter what brand i used. i only shoot jacketed hollow points for deer. they always stop them much quicker with better bloodtrails than when i used to use lead. for off the shelf hunting loads the 210grn or 240grn Gold Dot does a great job on deer but my best results have been with the CorBon 225 DPX. that DPX does more damage than any bullet i have ever used. i hunt on public land so i need to drop them pretty fast. i have been hunting deer for well over 25yrs with 44s.

20. interlake869

interlake869
    Expand Collapse

this is why i waited to shoot the lead last....copper seems easy to get out ( for me at least)