close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

44 Magnum Snub "Terminator"

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by flyandscuba, Dec 16, 2011.

1. I acquired this in a trade at the last local gun show. I picked it up on a whim, but it has really grown on me. Evidently, these aren't very common -- and it appears there is somewhat of a "cult" following for these Astra Terminators.

I've selected the Speer Gold Dot "Short Barrel" 44 Magnum load as a carry load. It is hotter than the Blazer 44 Special load with the same bullet -- but not what I would call "full power" 44 Magnum either. The reported ballistics are 1075 fps / 513 ftlbs -- certainly adequate for self defense work.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the pictures, it is an adaptation of earlier S&W designs - a 5-screw model with pinned barrel and recessed cylinder chambers. The fit and finish rivals any S&W I've owned or currently own. The trigger pull can be adjusted to 4 different settings by rotating a "retainer ring" that holds the hammer strut and hammer spring into the frame. I have this one set on the lightest setting -- and it is one of the smoothest & lightest DA triggers that I have felt on a production revolver. The SA trigger is superb as well.

The revolver is primarily an "N-frame" size (identical to S&W), but the grip portion of the frame is that of a "K/L-frame" size. I've left the Uncle Mike's boot grips attached that were on it when I traded, but the originally equipped Pachmyer grips are in the box with the papers. The lower profile of the Uncle Mike's is better for concealed carry -- but the Pachmyer's are certainly more comfortable to shoot. I may try some of the Hogue grips to see how they work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you want to see one of these "in action" - George Clooney uses a blue one in the movie From Dusk Til Dawn. I also read where the lead character in the Hunter TV series carried one in seasons 3 & 4...

If you run across one of these -- I recommend buying it on the spot!:wavey:

2. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    let us know how it shoots with full house magnums after 100 or so rounds.

3. voiceofreason

voiceofreason

Oct 27, 2010
    Reminds me of the first time I shot a full power .357 from a lightweight snubbie.

After 3 shots, I was done.

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    really want to "see" it in action fire it after dark.