close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

44 mag revolver for self defense

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Manzoli7, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Manzoli7

Manzoli7

Apr 6, 2010
    Although I own a good quality semi automatic, I currently use a 7 shot 357 Taurus trackers with a four inch barrel as my primary CWP/Home defense handgun. I like revolvers in K frame or bigger because of their ergonomics and reliability, I was thinking of also getting a 44 magnum for home defense in a cement block house. I was wondering if a 44 magnum has a negative image in court because of the Dirty Harry movie.
    Have you ever been involved in a case where this was an issue? What if the defendant used 44 special in it? This is about the same power a 45 ACP and I would not have to use moon clips. Also are 44 specials out of a big frame revolver with a 4 inch barel as acurate as 45 ACP out of a similar revolver?

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    When opposing counsel perceives it to be his job to demonize you, he'll often imply that a powerful gun should be seen as an indication of malice or out of control machismo. Search GT for discussion of the Fish case, where the prosecutor did just that to a man who used a 10mm auto in self defense. It's easy enough for a good lawyer and the right witnesses to shoot down in court (no pun intended). None of my cases, personally, have involved a .44 Magnum used by the defendant, IIRC.

.44 Special should be fine for a home defense revolver. I'd go with a good hollow point like the Winchester Silvertip. The .44 Special cartridge can be very accurate.

best,
    Mas